The best EDC single 123 flashlight? Anyone?

ibcj

Enlightened
I've owned several different edc single 123 lights, including the HDS U85 and other HDS models. While the HDS lights are good for some, my vote goes to the McLux III-PD. I've found that for my uses, two levels is really all that I need. YMMV.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
nystrpr said:
I've owned several different edc single 123 lights, including the HDS U85 and other HDS models. While the HDS lights are good for some, my vote goes to the McLux III-PD. I've found that for my uses, two levels is really all that I need. YMMV.

If I had one, I'd likely feel the same way. And I tend to agree that two levels are enough 99% of the time. Esp in an EDC... which is to say that you can switch to another light in your own home.

warpdrive

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
If I had one, I'd likely feel the same way. And I tend to agree that two levels are enough 99% of the time. Esp in an EDC... which is to say that you can switch to another light in your own home.

Ideally, three is perfect for me. Ultra low, normal, max

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
See... this thread is a microcosm of why there are 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 16 and 32 level lights.

For me, for an away from home light, 2 levels (~10 lumens and as bright as posssible cover most of my needs. But when I get home, I'd rather have one that was ~2 lumens and ~10 lumens.

Of course, with the HDS, you get that and more.
icon14.gif

22hornet

Enlightened
I would favor any of the Peak models in 1 cr123, depending on my mood
or
Fenix P1 (older, standard 1 output model, no bells and whistles)
or
Surefire E1E / E1L / L1

But then... I am old fashioned anyway ;-)

Kind regards,
Joris

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I have had the HDS U60 XRGT, Lion Cub, some Surefire 1 cells and the P1D CE. I would put the order:

HDS
Lion Cub
SF TW4 with two stage
SF E1L with diffuser & two stage
P1CD CE
SF E1e

I suspect if I would have gotten my act together and gotten a PD it would be a challenger. Next time ;)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D-CE gets my vote. If I had the LED in my HDS U60GT replaced with a Seoul, if might move back to the top of my list.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
As a person who doesn't care for LEDs, I rate my U60 as being the best single 123 flashlight. For such a complicated light it is very simple.

I guess it all depends on what you ask for from your single 123 light.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Mikeg23 said:
As a person who doesn't care for LEDs, I rate my U60 as being the best single 123 flashlight. For such a complicated light it is very simple.

I guess it all depends on what you ask for from your single 123 light.

Yes, for me the difference in light between the HDS 60 and the P1D CE is pretty minimal. The Fenix really isnt 135 lumens so the real difference is much less. And it takes a pretty big difference to see in normal use (ie not in beamshots). So for me the vastly superior interface of the HDS, and the ability to have different levels that can control well even while using rechargeables wins out big time over the Fenix. A flare is pretty bright but not terrible useful for most situations.

FNG

Enlightened
You can always dim a light, but you cant make it brighter. I use my cell phone if I need a low level light.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smooth, ringy reflector and the twisty action on the P1D makes me give the nod to HDS.
The P1D needs to be unscewed about 1-1/2 turns in order to guarantee against an accidental turn-on and a resulting dead battery.
This makes it unnecessarily cumbersome to operate when its needed.
HDS has neither of these problems as well as all the other benefits mentioned.

But the PD-S is a beaut!

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Another vote for HDS. I just got two U60s back from milkyspit with the seoul mod....all I can say is awesome. I would guess they are putting out at least 120 lumens, and now the runtime is pretty much doubled. I had a fenix P1 D CE and I got rid of it, nice little light...I didn't care for the twistie and after carrying an HDS for quite a while most other lights feel cheap.

I have heard the PD is tops as well, but I have never handled one. So, without PD experience, my vote goes HDS all the way.

greenLED

Flashaholic
For years I've been partial towards the original Arc LS - straight-forward design, great construction, simple to use.

I must admit, though, that I'm in total awe with the PD-S now. :D

The HDS is high on my list as well but, somehow, I can't get excited enough over the interface.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
For years I've been partial towards the original Arc LS - straight-forward design, great construction, simple to use.

I must admit, though, that I'm in total awe with the PD-S now. :D

The HDS is high on my list as well but, somehow, I can't get excited enough over the interface.

What don't you like about the interface? It's just a click here, a double click there, a press there... I have just the Basic, not the Ultra and after I had it for about five minutes, I found it to be 99% intuitive.