The Explorer! 6 x Red/White Luxeons. 18watt light.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Explorer! 6 x Red/White Luxeons. 18watt li

Red/RO/Amber are a different chemistry than the Blue/green/white/etc. The efficiency drops with heat, not nessasaraly with current. The blue/white will tolerate the heat and still get brighter with increased power, but if the red family gets too warm then they will dim down quite fast. You can observe this with even 5mm leds too. I applied too much power to a 10mm orange 12kmcd once and watched after 1-2secs it got really dim really quick with only a mild overdrive.

As far as the new luxeons, I'm talking about the square packaged new ones with 4 leads. They said they will be avalible in 7 colors and white! I would assume the power would be around 3w for the red family, and perhaps more or the same for the blue/green/white family. I think increased efficiency and heat tolerance are the main improvements.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Explorer! 6 x Red/White Luxeons. 18watt li

http://lumileds.com/pdfs/TP42.pdf See page 21.
"1-4W: 30-90 lm (white) 40-120 lm (r-o)" Makes me think that R/O will be higher power than 1W if it's up to 120lumens. But it'd be nice to have a 1W higher efficiency 120lumen R/O!!

Also note: ">4W/mm2 100(0)'s lm (all colors)" This means single die (not 4 as in 5w) because of >4W per square milimeter.
They also mention the X luxeon 500lumens in prototyping!!!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is great.
nice to see sombody else filling up them empty holes with something usefull.
at least before that factory in china does it :)

Latest posts