The latest-greatest Malkoff M61 is 425 lumens and 600+ lumens on two Li-Ions

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I am happy to hear of this update; I haven't pulled up any background on the new version, but is there a visible change to its exterior ?
Engraving ID would be optimum IMO, as there has always been a robust commerce w/ the used Malkoff dropins & it would be nice to see the distinguishing feature(s) at a glance.

If you look closely, there is a small nick in the brass below the "61" on the newer version. I would have never noticed it on my own, but I asked when my first two upgraded M61s were en route and received this reply:

Hello Ed,

You will see an extra marking below the 1 on the engraving of the new M61.

Thanks, Gene

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you look closely, there is a small nick in the brass below the "61" on the newer version. I would have never noticed it on my own, but I asked when my first two upgraded M61s were en route and received this reply:

Hello Ed,

You will see an extra marking below the 1 on the engraving of the new M61.

Thanks, Gene

Thanks for this info - this weekend I can get my dremel tool out & upgrade my Malkoffs. ;)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you gents will forgive the crudeness of the photograph...

IMG-1139.jpg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ So the only identifying difference is a "pip" mark under the etched M61 ~ Subtle to say the least, an automatic center punch could make that mark with ease..

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I've just realized that some mischievous miscreant could forge the the little pimple underneath the "1" in order to pass an old module off as new on a for sale thread. I'd wager that this never entered into Gene's imagination, as he's an honest fellow. I wonder if future iterations of this module will have different markings as a result.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I've just realized that some mischievous miscreant could forge the the little pimple underneath the "1" in order to pass an old module off as new on a for sale thread. I'd wager that this never entered into Gene's imagination, as he's an honest fellow. I wonder if future iterations of this module will have different markings as a result.

Hm, interesting point you make. I think it should have been called M611 or something along those lines to designate that it differs.

I don't really think the older one is worth less. Yeah, it's got lower lumens. But, it runs longer.

Does M61LL bring less coin than M61? Hm, no, exactly the same.

Nichia!

Banned
Malkoff website doesn't say anything about 600 Lumens. Where did you get that information from??

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
we are awaiting beamshots, especially compared next to the M61 version 1.0

The difference between this version and the last one is about the same (to my uncalibrated eyes) as when the little board switched from green to silver a few years back. It isn't unsubstantial, but it's not going to blow your hair back, either.

I don't really think the older one is worth less. Yeah, it's got lower lumens. But, it runs longer.

This is my thought exactly, I am more of a fan of slightly more runtime with M61s. I tend to put them in various 6Ps with CR123s to stash in various places... so less draw is a draw for me. :)