The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman5

Enlightened
anyone have real life beamshots? , like down a dark alley or sumtin? i cant see any light in the first page pics (aside from the close up on the first pic) ......just dim street lights. Is the beam from the Deft a bright cold white or more of a incan color? :huh2:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone have real life beamshots? , like down a dark alley or sumtin? i cant see any light in the first page pics (aside from the close up on the first pic) ......just dim street lights. Is the beam from the Deft a bright cold white or more of a incan color? :huh2:
I have taken quite a few beamshots and some of them were down my alley. I'll go find them. As far as color goes it just depends what tint LED you order. And if you don't like one it is easy to switch out with a different one.

Bushman5

Enlightened
^ hi! thanks for the reply. :thumbsup: I saw a couple shots from others but having a hard time grasping the color or distance.

any soldering involved in said swap? most i've ever soldered has been 02 gauge welding cables....anything smaller and I best get someone else to do it.... :sick2:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ hi! thanks for the reply. :thumbsup: I saw a couple shots from others but having a hard time grasping the color or distance.

any soldering involved in said swap? most i've ever soldered has been 02 gauge welding cables....anything smaller and I best get someone else to do it.... :sick2:
No solder required. I have designed it so you just unscrew two small screws to detach the pill and the electrical is connected by a connector that pulls right out when you pull on it. Its very simple.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a reproduction of a post from the closed thread. The first picture could stand to be redone as it is kind of fuzzy but you get the picture. You will notice that there are different color beams that can be had from this light. It all depends on what pill you want installed.

This is the DEFT W/ R2, smooth lens
leds086.jpg

R2 Diffused
leds087.jpg

OK. I want you to stop here and compare the picture just above and just below. Below you see the Tiablo A9. What stuck out to me is the dead space that lies mid-range down the beam, in between the spill(which is only good up close) and the spot . In the picture above you will notice how much more light is being thrown and over a larger area. This really helps give you a much better sense of what is going on down-beam.

Tiablo A9
leds088.jpg

5A DEFT Diffused
leds089.jpg

5A smooth
leds091.jpg

Comparing the DEFT 5A diffused and the Tiablo WC
leds093.jpg

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DEFT and EZNITE beamshots...

I think reviews must be posted elsewhere and moved to the reviews section by the mods.
I had no idea. I've never tried to post a review.

Here is what it says in the policy section. "All "reviews" threads are to be posted within their applicable forums. If administrators or moderators wish to have them published in the Reviews forum, they will move them there. If the reviewer, when posting, wishes to request inclusion in the Reviews forum, they may attach a notice as the first line in their post such as "for submission in the Reviews forum". Alternatively, they can omit such a first line, and simply PM a moderator or administrator asking that it be considered."

So I guess its not a glitch.

Whisper

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, i ve a few questions:
1. Can someone tell me how wide is the square of the beam at 10m or 100m; thats for say how many degrees is the beam?

2. Any lux measure?

3. The last one, are lithium batteries available, or is it easy to use some, for example a 18650, but maybe the voltage is a little low?

i think i will order soon :)

Thanks,
Julien

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, i ve a few questions:
1. Can someone tell me how wide is the square of the beam at 10m or 100m; thats for say how many degrees is the beam?
Measuring flat side to flat side is 9 1/2" @ 10m/32'
2. Any lux measure?
A rough lux measurement gave me about 160,000 lux.

3. The last one, are lithium batteries available, or is it easy to use some, for example a 18650, but maybe the voltage is a little low?

i think i will order soon :)

Thanks,
Julien
The battery holder accepts AAs. You can use NiMH, Lithium primaries(Energizer Ultimate Lithium), or even alkalines(short runtime).

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Well, I tried to do a review on the reviews section but it wouldn't allow me to start a new thread says: Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page, oh well, I'll just post here.

This is the first time I ever took beamshots so don't laugh, I also used a point & shoot camera in the winter below 0 lots of snow, no tripod, camera on top of the hood of my car which was on an angle and I tried different setting exposures 1sec, 2sec up to 8sec so some are blurry sorry.

I will say this again this baby throws a beautiful beam and it goes forever, enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30532649@N02/sets/72157613629782634/

Didn't know how to upload here on cpf so I used my flickr account.

LOL! Chris, you go wayyy back, I even bought your BarnBurner...so this is really the first time you took beamshots? Well it says a lot about the DEFT that you would try to take and post them.

True about these lights, and why in my review (linked in first post of this thread), I called it a "Pocket MaxaBeam."

The most amazing thing is how much it outperforms the 52mm Aspherics.

It is great to see such awsome enthusiasm spoken over and over.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Subscribing to the addage that a picture is worth a thousand words....I just took this from 10 meters. The edges are actually sharper viewing than the camera shot shows. (Camera was about 8 feet away)

Thumbnail

ChrisDallas

Newly Enlightened

LOL! Chris, you go wayyy back, I even bought your BarnBurner...so this is really the first time you took beamshots? Well it says a lot about the DEFT that you would try to take and post them.

True about these lights, and why in my review (linked in first post of this thread), I called it a "Pocket MaxaBeam."

The most amazing thing is how much it outperforms the 52mm Aspherics.

It is great to see such awsome enthusiasm spoken over and over.

Hiya Lux :)

Yeah you did buy my BarnBurner there way back & I see you're still enjoying it, great!

I saw & read your review on the DEFT was well done, great job, you know your lights.

Michael is a purist & a great flashlight builder no doubt, anyone on the fence on this one really don't know what they're missing. I actually enjoy this light more so than I did the BarnBurner. Obviously for different purposes but the BB didn't impress me as much as this DEFT or even the EZnite, which btw Michael, your DEFT out throws it, no contest.

Now I can't wait for the Black Tie & I know it will be a while but still can't wait. Hurry Michael, get those DEFT's out so you can start the Black Tie project even if you have to work 2 days sleep 1, work 3 days sleep 12hrs, work 4 days sleep an hour you get the drift, that way we can get them by April :)

Pabs D

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the pics guys. I'm very impressed. Can't wait! :candle:

Whisper

Newly Enlightened
Lets go, i m in for one, R2 (is it possible to have a quite warm bin, or a little green or yellow?)
international shipping with insurance

my mail: picpoc [at] hotmail [dot] fr

thanks,
Julien

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets go, i m in for one, R2 (is it possible to have a quite warm bin, or a little green or yellow?)
international shipping with insurance

my mail: picpoc [at] hotmail [dot] fr

thanks,
Julien
I will put you down for one. Are you saying you want a warmer R2 than WH bin(there is none) or do you want a hand picked WH? BTW is it really .fr and not .com

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rant:I was just working to finish kit's light a few minutes ago and dropped the bezel and scratched it.:banghead: Well at least I will finally get one of my own lights since I don't want to ship one like this. All this time I have not had time to make a light for myself so I guess it's somewhat of a silver lining. Still. :hairpull::rant:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've spent a couple of months around the forum and have worked my way off the b/s/t & incandescent & LED & general and found THIS - was even referenced in something I read earlier today.

Please put me down for 1

Deft Base unit
Case
R2 WH – as the "base" emitter
MC-E 6C as additional emitter
Extra Lens with built in emitter
Include shipping insurance

email is nfetterly(at)gmail.com

I can wait (I have no choice!):sigh:

Incidentally I didn't read pgs 2 through 9.... (in case there was something important there)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts