The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've spent a couple of months around the forum and have worked my way off the b/s/t & incandescent & LED & general and found THIS - was even referenced in something I read earlier today.

Please put me down for 1

Deft Base unit
Case
R2 WH – as the "base" emitter
MC-E 6C as additional emitter
Extra Lens with built in emitter
Include shipping insurance

email is nfetterly(at)gmail.com

I can wait (I have no choice!):sigh:

Incidentally I didn't read pgs 2 through 9.... (in case there was something important there)..
Will add you in a second. I don't think there was anything important that you missed on pages 2-9. I revamped the first and second posts to help people who have not been following the threads from the start. I just compiled most everything from the two threads that had gotten kind of buried. Thanks for joining the list.

daz

Newly Enlightened
My DEFT has finally arrived here in the UK after a long wait. It is now dark and WOW does this thing throw. It is unbelievable. The beamshots that you guys who already have yours have posted are fantastic,BUT when when use one yourself it is even better. You have to be careful where you point this light !!!!
For all of you waiting for this light I can guarantee you wont be dissapointed. It certainly is "the longest throwing LED in the world". Many thanks Michael for designing,building and shipping these fantastic lights. Keep up the good work.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My DEFT has finally arrived here in the UK after a long wait. It is now dark and WOW does this thing throw. It is unbelievable. The beamshots that you guys who already have yours have posted are fantastic,BUT when when use one yourself it is even better. You have to be careful where you point this light !!!!
For all of you waiting for this light I can guarantee you wont be dissapointed. It certainly is "the longest throwing LED in the world". Many thanks Michael for designing,building and shipping these fantastic lights. Keep up the good work.
:party: Finally! I was getting worried. It really is something to behold. The pictures are nice but the way it makes you feel when you are brandishing one yourself is priceless.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Hi Michael, thanks for the telephone call.

Please put me on your list for a DEFT basic $275.00 with NO case.

Wow! you have a long list!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this will be my X-mas present to myself for 2010 :laughing:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Michael, thanks for the telephone call.

Please put me on your list for a DEFT basic $275.00 with NO case.

Wow! you have a long list!!!!!!!!!
Nice to talk to you. I will add you. Thanks!

Maybe this will be my X-mas present to myself for 2010 :laughing:
:nana: We are still working to speed things up. I am making some machines that will do the polishing and sanding of the lenses for us.

Bushman5

Enlightened
A couple pics.

1040845br1.jpg

1040851dl7.jpg

AH very cool! thanks for those, i love the pencil beam . what color tint is your light? It looks blue to me. And howmany lumens?

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Nice to talk to you. I will add you. Thanks!

:nana: We are still working to speed things up. I am making some machines that will do the polishing and sanding of the lenses for us.

Michael, are you making the bodies in your own shop?!

Also, what is the color temp of the standard lamp?

Sorry if you already told me on the phone (and I think you did), but
I dont remember.

300winmag

Enlightened
Thats funny, I don't remember reading how many lumens the DEFT puts out with the Q5 or the R2.....Although this is a lot of reading material and I might of missed it. What do you think Saabluster? Thanx

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats funny, I don't remember reading how many lumens the DEFT puts out with the Q5 or the R2.....Although this is a lot of reading material and I might of missed it. What do you think Saabluster? Thanx
It has about 340-350 lumens with the R2. This is calculated not measured. I used this wonderful thread to judge by.

Michael, are you making the bodies in your own shop?!

Also, what is the color temp of the standard lamp?

Sorry if you already told me on the phone (and I think you did), but
I dont remember.
I am using a host to build these. I make the lenses, spacer, bezel, driver housing, copper base and pills. I use my own switches and o-rings as well. I also do some things to the battery holders to increase their reliability. The tailcap threads receive attention as well. They start out very rough and grainy but end up fairly smooth.
The base LED is a Q5 WC. Take a look at this chart and you can see where that bin lies.

Just to let you know Glenn I went out to east Texas to visit with my wife's grandfather and had a chance to take some beam shots with the proto MC-E driver. I will post those later when I can get them off my camera.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has about 340-350 lumens with the R2. This is calculated not measured. I used this wonderful thread to judge by.

I am using a host to build these. I make the lenses, spacer, bezel, driver housing, copper base and pills. I use my own switches and o-rings as well. I also do some things to the battery holders to increase their reliability. The tailcap threads receive attention as well. They start out very rough and grainy but end up fairly smooth.
The base LED is a Q5 WC. Take a look at this chart and you can see where that bin lies.

Just to let you know Glenn I went out to east Texas to visit with my wife's grandfather and had a chance to take some beam shots with the proto MC-E driver. I will post those later when I can get them off my camera.

:popcorn:!!! N E E D...N E W...D R I V E R ...:faint:

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now that I got the pictures on the computer I can see that I underexposed the shots.:sigh: Anyway here they are. The contenders are the Ultrafire Recoil, Tiablo A9, Raidfire Spear modded with an R2 WH, DEFT smooth w/proto MC-E driver pushing a J bin 6C tint MC-E, DEFT R2 smooth, DEFT R2 smooth+secondary optic.

I think part of the interesting news here is the use of the MC-E behind a smooth aspheric lens without it being way out of focus and without significant artifacts.:cool:

The first set of pictures are aimed at a tree about 50-60' away.

Recoil
bezel094.jpg

A9
bezel095.jpg

Spear
bezel096.jpg

DEFT MC-E
bezel097.jpg

DEFT
bezel098.jpg

DEFT +optic
bezel099.jpg

This group of shots were aimed at the chicken coop 317' away.

Recoil
bezel100.jpg

A9
bezel101.jpg

Spear
bezel102.jpg

DEFT MC-E Notice how the nice tint of the 6C makes the red stand out more.
bezel103.jpg

DEFT
bezel104.jpg

DEFT+optic
bezel105.jpg

This group of shots were aimed towards the end of the road at trees 748' away. Sadly there are no leaves on the trees so there was not much to reflect light back.
Recoil
bezel106.jpg

A9
bezel107.jpg

Spear
bezel108.jpg

DEFT MC-E
bezel109.jpg

DEFT
bezel110.jpg

DEFT+optic
bezel111.jpg

These really were not representative of what you see in person due to the shot being underexposed but can help you see the relative differences between the lights.

Last edited:

kit

Newly Enlightened
Oh nooo!!! I am in the Philippines on vacation, so i'll wait Michael. You mean you don't have a DEFT yet?hehehehe...

:rant:I was just working to finish kit's light a few minutes ago and dropped the bezel and scratched it.:banghead: Well at least I will finally get one of my own lights since I don't want to ship one like this. All this time I have not had time to make a light for myself so I guess it's somewhat of a silver lining. Still. :hairpull::rant:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh nooo!!! I am in the Philippines on vacation, so i'll wait Michael. You mean you don't have a DEFT yet?hehehehe...
Pretty sad isn't it? Don't laugh.:eek: I have had the original one from back when. It did not have the carbon fiber, changeable pill design and the LED's dome had been broken off. Just not the same. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts