The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Rereading my order, I'd like to just specify that I'd like the brightest single and quad die LED's that are available when my light gets made. I've noticed that a lot of other people are (intelligently) placing their orders in this fashion so I'd like to ammend mine as well. I still want the extra lens w/built-in diffuser as well as the case and shipping insurance.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Michael, I think you have done a first class job managing the sales
of your DEFT light. You have literally posted minute by minute updates on
how well the production of your lights have come along.
I should have jumped on the list when you first announced the sales of the DEFT now I am one of the last ones in the first wave :D
But, hey thats cool ..... from what I can see production has really sped up
Not long to go for me :cool:

A BIG :twothumbs

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
Hey Micheal: Put me on the list, please. Right now I'd probably get go R2 WH, diffuser, MC-E WH, INS, and the case, but by the time you build mine there may be even better pieces, eh? Thanks, Alan.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael, I hope you are feeling better. Dont work to hard and dont try
to burn the candle at both ends. Your body will rebel! :sick:
Although I spent almost all of January sick(maybe it was the "3 week" thing) I wasn't sick per se. I was up really late. I could not get my mind to shut off and then when I finally did go to sleep I tossed and turned all night. Woke up the next morning with a head ache. Yes indeed the body will rebel.:eek:

Rereading my order, I'd like to just specify that I'd like the brightest single and quad die LED's that are available when my light gets made. I've noticed that a lot of other people are (intelligently) placing their orders in this fashion so I'd like to ammend mine as well. I still want the extra lens w/built-in diffuser as well as the case and shipping insurance.
You got it. You are not held to the choice you make now it just helps me plan what I buy better. If you picked the top bin than I understand that you will most likely want whatever the top bin is when your light is ready to be built.

Well Michael, I think you have done a first class job managing the sales
of your DEFT light. You have literally posted minute by minute updates on
how well the production of your lights have come along.
I should have jumped on the list when you first announced the sales of the DEFT now I am one of the last ones in the first wave :D
But, hey thats cool ..... from what I can see production has really sped up
Not long to go for me :cool:

A BIG :twothumbs
Better late than never. And thanks.

Hey Micheal: Put me on the list, please. Right now I'd probably get go R2 WH, diffuser, MC-E WH, INS, and the case, but by the time you build mine there may be even better pieces, eh? Thanks, Alan.
Will do.:thumbsup: And yes it is very likely that there will be a new bin released by the time your up to bat.

jaybee

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, did I miss something?
Now the carbon bazel is included in the basic version, right?
When was it done? And what was its price alone when it was an option?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, did I miss something?
Now the carbon bazel is included in the basic version, right?
When was it done? And what was its price alone when it was an option?
Yes the carbon fiber is part of the base price of the light now. I also raised the price some($30) a couple weeks ago to account for the increase in quality and the amount of time it takes to make these. It's still not a profitable venture even with the raise in prices but it will help offset some of the things that I really did not account for originally. I had left open the option to not have the carbon fiber bezel because I wanted to make a version that someone who did not have a lot of money could afford. The more I got to thinking about though anyone looking to buy a light of this caliber would not have a problem with the extra for the bezel. Only one person has chosen to not to have that option and interestingly it was one of only two that I know of that has been sold. I now think allowing the option to not have the carbon fiber bezel would be doing both the customer and myself a disfavor as it is such an important design element with this light.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Michael,
Did you see my post that I want the R2 instead of the stock?
Is that all I need, or should I be adding any other options?

Also, are you still working on your other project, what's it called,
the black tie?

I guess you have a buy thread for that one too, I am interested
to find out more info on it, and if you have settled on a price yet.

P.S. Nevermind! the link to it is right there in your sig. right in front of
me!! Sorry, it's Monday! LOL!!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,
Did you see my post that I want the R2 instead of the stock?
I saw it but forgot to make a notation. Thanks

Is that all I need, or should I be adding any other options?
I highly recommend getting the case. Other than that it just depends on how you plan to use the light and whether or not you want the option to change the beam spread.

Also, are you still working on your other project, what's it called,
the black tie?
Yes I am still working on the Black Tie.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I saw it but forgot to make a notation. Thanks

I highly recommend getting the case. Other than that it just depends on how you plan to use the light and whether or not you want the option to change the beam spread.

Yes I am still working on the Black Tie.

Ok.

Yikes, I feel like the clueless guy in the french resturant who cant
understand the menu, so he points to someones table and tells
the waiter, "I'll have what he's having"!! LOL!!

Sooooo, here is my "revised" order:

1 DEFT "world's longest throwing flashlight" :D = $275.00
1 R2 WH = $5.00
1 Diffuser = $30.00
1 Pelican case = $37.00
Insurance = $5.00
Shipping to Maryland (20740) = $?.??

TOTAL = $352.00 payable upon request via Paypal

Did I do that right? :eek:oo:

Can I cheat and butt to the front of the line???? :) :whistle:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.

Yikes, I feel like the clueless guy in the french resturant who cant
understand the menu, so he points to someones table and tells
the waiter, "I'll have what he's having"!! LOL!!

Sooooo, here is my "revised" order:

1 DEFT "world's longest throwing flashlight" :D = $275.00
1 R2 WH = $5.00
1 Diffuser = $30.00
1 Pelican case = $37.00
Insurance = $5.00
Shipping to Maryland (20740) = $?.??

TOTAL = $352.00 payable upon request via Paypal

Did I do that right? :eek:oo:

Can I cheat and butt to the front of the line???? :) :whistle:
Well done. I will not require payment from you for a while though. You can "butt" to the front of the line as soon as I release the first Art Light. If your quick enough.:D

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Well done. I will not require payment from you for a while though. You can "butt" to the front of the line as soon as I release the first Art Light. If your quick enough.:D

Huh! "Art Light"!!??
You have my attention already! :laughing:

P.S. Let's see, the wife's car, jewelry, paintings and glass art collection......Hmmmmm.......eBay.......yeah...wife traveling on business for 2 weeks.....Hmmmm
burglar brok in.... yeah, it may work!!!

Last edited:

jaybee

Newly Enlightened
I also raised the price some($30) a couple weeks ago to account for the increase in quality and the amount of time it takes to make these.
When I started reading this topic, the price was USD 150. When I ordered it was USD 175. Now it is USD 215. 43% increase. Don't take it otherwise but where are we going to be when my turn comes? :confused:

saabluster said:
It's still not a profitable venture
Sorry to hear that. Maybe the volume factor has something to do with that?:huh:

[quote="saabluster']I now think allowing the option to not have the carbon fiber bezel would be doing both the customer and myself a disfavor as it is such an important design element with this light.[/quote]
Looks nice, no doubt, but the main reason for it to be there is to help protect plastic lens from unavoidable scratches, right? :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I started reading this topic, the price was USD 150. When I ordered it was USD 175. Now it is USD 215. 43% increase. Don't take it otherwise but where are we going to be when my turn comes? :confused:
When you ordered it was $185 plus $60 for the bezel =$245 Now with the bezel it is $275 so basically I added $30. When I first started this I thought I would be able to sell these for $100 with an aluminum bezel that was custom designed for each one.:crackup: Sometimes what we think is possible is not and that was the case here. Instead of charging people what it took to make these at the outset I have been charging based on what my projections for how long it would take once all our processes were perfected. I erred on the side of caution to my detriment because I don't believe it is right to make products and them sell them with a massive profit built into the price. As the reality of how long these take to build verses how long I thought they would take comes into clearer focus I have had to make adjustments in the price. This is not done out of greed but the desire to remain in business. I'm really not interested in becoming rich. Money does not bring us happiness regardless of how much this world trys to convince us it will. I want whats fair for you and for me and if there is ever any doubt as to where that line is I err in your favor. I have always done this. It is why I never made all that much money when I owned my sign company. But I also had very loyal and happy customers and a clean conscience. That is priceless.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe the volume factor has something to do with that?:huh:
It has everything to do with it. Specifically the fact it takes so long to make them the volume is therefore so low even with two of us working on them full-time.

Looks nice, no doubt, but the main reason for it to be there is to help protect plastic lens from unavoidable scratches, right? :)
You are correct. It looks nice, allows for head standing, protects the lens, blocks the back reflections, and the crenulations help you to see if you accidentally left it on. It is too important to not have it on this light.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me say that they are worth every penny at this price--for an individual who is a collector or not but who wants a rock solid light that is the ultimate performer in it's class. I have the fortune of owning two, I see first hand what has gone into them.

Karl

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Let me say that they are worth every penny at this price--for an individual who is a collector or not but who wants a rock solid light that is the ultimate performer in it's class. I have the fortune of owning two, I see first hand what has gone into them.

Karl

Ditto x 1,000

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
psychobunny, keep an eye out for zombies, a "3 week virus" that spreads like crazy is the first sign of a zombie apocalypse.

Saab, what kind of lenses you use on your prototype, and did you stick with the same kind of lenses or get some custom made for you? I have projection aspheres from automotive forward lighting units that look like they'd work well too

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Karl

Ditto x 1,000

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

Saab, what kind of lenses you use on your prototype, and did you stick with the same kind of lenses or get some custom made for you? I have projection aspheres from automotive forward lighting units that look like they'd work well too
I make the lenses myself. They have the same basic curve as the proto but changes have been made for better fitment and use of an O-ring.

We have been delayed trying to get my new auto-polisher machine working right. The first lens came out beautifully but we are having trouble reproducing the results. I will figure it out it is just delaying us right now.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I'd like to please place my order for :

1 DEFT Base price $275 (Includes carbon fiber bezel)
Smooth lens
Q5 WC emitter
1500mA regulated circuitry
+
Please replace the stock Q5 emitter with:
R2 WH emitter $5

Thanks!
Matt Cucchiara
Fresno, CA
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.