The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, it never ends. Oh well, sounds like you're doing what can be done in the meantime. Thanks for keeping us posted.

By the way, since I have zero knowledge about machining, how much would a setup that could do those copper plates cost? I can't imagine software controlled routers are cheap.
If I remember correctly he said his setup cost around $60,000. Bobby's table was around $8,000 used. I'd have to sell a whole lot of lights to make that worthwhile.

radu1976

Enlightened
The 2-nd sentence is in my language : all was said before ...
Where did you take it from ?

:p

اپ کی کوشش کرنا کوئی جھٹولا

totul a fost zis inainte

आप अपेक्षा कर सकते है । स्त्री-शिक्षा की कोशिश कोई पागल

BMF

Enlightened
Originally Posted by LuxLuthor

اپ کی کوشش کرنا کوئی جھٹولا

totul a fost zis inainte

आप अपेक्षा कर सकते है । स्त्री-शिक्षा की कोशिश कोई पागल
The 2-nd sentence is in my language : all was said before ...
Where did you take it from ?

I missed it. I didn't even see them because of the color white.

radu1976

Enlightened
Micheal, I wasn't sure you got my PM so I have to ask you not to ship my DEFT after the 8-th of October as I am gonna leave Canada for one month , going to Europe !
So the parcel would come back to you in this case as it won't be enough time to come to my place, less than 3 weeks !
I guess there's no chance to get it before as I have seen that the LuxLuthor's lights are not shipped yet.
That could be a good news for Choppers and Karltev as I am passed for the moment.
I hope it will be ready till the end of November yet
thinking.gif

Thanks !
Radu

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Micheal, I wasn't sure you got my PM so I have to ask you not to ship my DEFT after the 8-th of October as I am gonna leave Canada for one month , going to Europe !
So the parcel would come back to you in this case as it won't be enough time to come to my place, less than 3 weeks !
I guess there's no chance to get it before as I have seen that the LuxLuthor's lights are not shipped yet.
That could be a good news for Choppers and Karltev as I am passed for the moment.
I hope it will be ready till the end of November yet
thinking.gif

Thanks !
Radu
Yes I got your message. I guess I forgot to respond back. Sorry. I should be able to get yours shipped before the 8th. I called the router guy today and he said he had the material on the router and was about to start cutting so I should have it by the end of the day.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap:
Sunds like it may be time to :party: very soon for some of the guys on the top of the list. Which means it's getting closer for us in the middle. :D

Now go stand over his butt and make sure he gets it done! :devil:

Yeow! 50K+ thats not pocket change. And yea that is a lot of lights even to justify a used one. I've often consdered making my own lights but I seem to be so terrible at soldering I've never looked into costs for machining my own parts someday. Guess there's a monstorous entry cost into custom lights if you want to do it all yourself. Oh well.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap:
Guess there's a monstorous entry cost into custom lights if you want to do it all yourself. Oh well.
Yeah to say the least. I'm in 7K on the DEFT alone so far and I haven't even bought a lathe yet. That also does not include all the money/time lost from all the time doing R+D. I wonder sometimes where all the money went. :broke:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick update. I talked with the router guy today and he said he is having a hard time with it. Apparently he broke some bits and is having to buy some more. Said he was going to be working late tonight on it. Heres hoping I have something by tomorrow.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious, again knowing little, why would copper be breaking bits? The stuff isn't very hard or tough. Is it the material, the product, or a combination? Maybe I should go ask on the machining thread. :thinking:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious, again knowing little, why would copper be breaking bits? The stuff isn't very hard or tough. Is it the material, the product, or a combination? Maybe I should go ask on the machining thread. :thinking:
I didn't think it would be that hard either. On the first try at Bobby's he accidentally started off using a bit made for plastic and although it did cut through the copper it was not of an acceptable quality. When he realized his mistake he switched to the bit for metal and it hadn't even cut one before it snapped off. We are not entirely sure why. We think the feed rate was too high. The problem is his router did not seem to change its feed rate when he input the info into the computer. Thats why we decided to give up and try this other guy. I tried unsuccessfully to find some information on feed rate and spindle speed online for 1/8" thick copper. It may be this new guy is figuring this out the hard way. I didn't talk to him directly since he had gone to get a new bit so I am just going on what his father told me.

kit

Newly Enlightened
Hello Michael,

Please add me on the list for the DEFT.

Base $150
Carbon Bezel $45
R2 $5
Shipping to Canada $20

Total = $220

Thanks!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
wooohoo!!!

They are finally done.!!! Well mostly done any way.
leds303.jpg

As you can see there is still some work to extract them. Then they need to be drilled, tapped and soldered. I am so happy to see these right now. :twothumbs

On a side note look what arrived today.
leds282.jpg

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear. And here's hoping those MC-Es can take the punishment that we want to give them. :devil:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Is that last LED a P7 ? I didn't think you were using those in this light, as others have said they don't work well with aspheric?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that last LED a P7 ? I didn't think you were using those in this light, as others have said they don't work well with aspheric?
No it is the new Cree MC-E. I just did some tests with the diffused lens and it is beautiful. I will be offering pills with the MC-E. To start off they will be a direct swap for the XR-E pills(same driver setup). I will eventually be offering new driver assemblies that you can swap into your light that will truly take advantage of its abilities. I bought 50 J flux(320lms) 6C tint so there will be plenty to go around. The tint on these are outstanding!
Just in case anyone asks you cannot use these with the smooth lens. The results are not pleasant.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm thinking perhaps 4 LiFeP04's in series, direct drive with an MC-E. :thinking:
If the VF is low it should give some decent light.

Status
Not open for further replies.