The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
W00T !

I love that variety of comparison pictures. It's always amazing how different lights look in person vs. in photots....so it's interesting to read your observations, including the MC-E.

Thanks for taking your time, persevering through a long list of problems, and having it turn out the way you wanted. Let me know what you have found to be the best battery setups, and voltage range limits. It will be fun to check this out and compare. :thumbsup:
My two recommendations battery wise are eneloops/duracell LSD NiMH and Energizer e2/Ultimate Lithium AAs. The Ultimate Lithium will have the longest runtimes and are recommended if the light is to be stored for a long time and you want it to be ready for an emergency. The only down side I have seen to running the e2/Ultimate Lithium are the fact that they heat up a lot. When I was running tests of my circuits way back when I was using the components outside of the body and when I grabbed the batteries they were hot to the touch. I don't think it hurts them at all and they are being run within spec but it will add heat to the flashlight body. They would be ideal for winter use as they are good to very low temperatures as well. The eneloops will provide you with less runtime but give you guilt free lumens and they will not add to the heat load.
Do NOT use rechargeable lithium. This would put it over the voltage range of the drivers(The voltage max is 9V).

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I can answer for him at this point as I have the tracking info. It has not yet arrived at his place.
:mecry::mecry::mecry:

:naughty::naughty::naughty: I'm next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yahooooooo...hope I have this before Halloween to take with me. The place I am going with my son has no street lights so it is VERY DARK...perfect place for the DEFT.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
When are the next few going out??

Karl
I am working on yours and Choppers now. Hope to have his sent by Thursday. We will see. I just broke two of the three taps that I have to tap the copper base rendering two taps and two bases useless.:banghead: Now I need to redo two of them. Also have the CF bezels baking at the moment to help cure them. Hoping to get them sanded and clear-coated tomorrow. I have also added more to the debt. I ordered a lab oven so that I can cure everything in my shop instead of using the house oven. I also now have a pressure pot to help reduce the chance of getting bubbles in all the castings. This has been yet another frustration I have been dealing with. But don't worry. I have everything under control....:crazy::xyxgun::poof:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
But don't worry. I have everything under control....:crazy::xyxgun::poof:

Famous last words ... :nana:
Once you get settled down a bit more getting them out with both high quality and in good time will become easier. I'm sure it's all starting to come together so that you can see some returns on your investments.

I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together. :naughty:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just got mine today. Arrived in Priority Mail Shoebox in great condition/packing!

Of course I had to take it out and give a quick overview with much more detail to come. Ya know how you hear all these things in our lighting hobby, which you know are hyped up way more than they turn out to be? Prepare to be more than satisfied.

These look very nice on first appearance, they stand up on the bezel, the plastic lens looks much better in terms of quality optics than I expected. It has a nice feel and balance in the hand. Not too heavy, and about the length of a SF M6.

Of course I had to do a quick test before running some errands and see how much better than my other aspherics, or if it lived up to any of the hype. I popped in 4 x eneloops and turned it on next to my Ledean & Mac Aspherics--the ones that looked so nice in my shootout.

Suffice it to say that the DEFT BLEW the other two away. I don't just mean it was noticeably brighter than my best aspherics. I actually do mean that it blew them away. Very few lights are visible on objects outside on a cloudy day. My MaxaBeam spotlight will do that very dramatically casting a bright white spot in tight focus, Mac/Ledean Aspherics are barely visible on close objects. The DEFT is EASILY visible on outdoor objects on this cloudy day--not on the same scale as the MaxaBeam, but still very impressive for any hand held light.

Again, more to come...but here is the best endorsement I can give: saabluster, please put me in line for a 3rd light.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds just like what I wanted to hear. Now, don't forget I'm on your list for the second one!

Karl

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear that Lux got his. I can't wait to see and hear his review.:D

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I took it outside....down to the beach where there is a long arc stretch, and light houses, various buoys, as well as numerous forests in the distance. Here is my scientific 2 word summary:

Holy Moly !!!

Having been around a number of lights over the last few years, I'm no longer easily impressed....but this really impressed me. I found myself saying several times that this is almost like having a MaxaBeam in your pocket. Obviously, there is no comparison to the focus & increased intensity of the MB spotlight, but given this small size, it was the thought I kept having.

I sent a couple of minor suggestions to saablaster, including that I think he should only send this out with the bezel because you can stand it up, it helps protect the lens, and keeps the glowing orb from ruining your peripheral & dark adapted vision. I also told him I think he could charge more for this because it is so unique, and unlike many other LED lights, it has a "future proof adaptability" with new LED's using his drop-in pill system.

I'll do my review when I get time in the "Reviews" section, but here was a simplistic way to show the clarity of the lens next to the higher quality glass Melles Griot 01LAG123 from Ledean Aspheric.

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I'm definitely sold. I was thinking about waiting for next year looking at the list, but that's too far long. I'll just add myself to the line. And Lux, you really didn't help on that one...

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I'm definitely sold. I was thinking about waiting for next year looking at the list, but that's too far long. I'll just add myself to the line. And Lux, you really didn't help on that one...
OK you are on the list. I just need to know what you want on yours.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Famous last words ... :nana:
Once you get settled down a bit more getting them out with both high quality and in good time will become easier. I'm sure it's all starting to come together so that you can see some returns on your investments.

I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together. :naughty:
Thanks for the sentiments. The quality improves slightly on each one I build. It will be next year some time before I see a return on my investment though. Still I have always dreamed of having a job where I could use my artistic and engineering skills so it is worth it to me even if I make less money than before.

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
OK you are on the list. I just need to know what you want on yours.
Q2 5A, CF bezel, Diffuser lens, shipping to Canada with insurance, no glow powder

I consider getting an MC-E as well once you come up with it as an option.

*edit*
Ah the hell with it, just add a R2 as well. Being able to easily switch is just too tempting.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q2 5A, CF bezel, Diffuser lens, shipping to Canada with insurance, no glow powder

I consider getting an MC-E as well once you come up with it as an option.

*edit*
Ah the hell with it, just add a R2 as well. Being able to easily switch is just too tempting.
Congratulations you've got the last Q2 5A that I have. Since you do not want the glow powder do you want me to black out the epoxy surrounding the led?

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
You can try and put what you want. As long as the epoxy stays there and there isn't glow powder.

That is unless someone would suggest having the glow powder over there.

And yeah, I thought I should hurry and get the last Q2 5A before it was gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.