The Malkoff Front Porch

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
Part of me feels like that's the shut-off voltage on the protected battery and that's why it's marketed that way. It would be nice if it did support primaries though. I would definitely get one. That's why I like my BGv1 519a for the unofficial one output with primary.

Last edited:

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
Just picked one up. Im hoping the dedomed nichia will end up throwing a decent distance. Longest throwing malkoff mdc head (with multiple modes) I've found so far is the 16650 Cree-XPL head . Hope this will match it.

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
Just picked one up. Im hoping the dedomed nichia will end up throwing a decent distance. Longest throwing malkoff mdc head (with multiple modes) I've found so far is the 16650 Cree-XPL head . Hope this will match it.
Please report back with your results. I'm holding off on this one since I have an M361 219b v3 sitting in a VME head which I'm pretty pleased about already.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the 519a dedome MDC for a couple weeks now and used around the house and on walks. I'm really impressed with the emitter. Color rendering is excellent and and the tint is pretty if you like a little bit rosy. Compared to my trusty MDC N with the 4000K XP-G2 it has a noticeably more intense spot, but it's not a huge difference and the beam is still a great all-rounder.

The low and high modes seem similar in brightness to the MDC N, but medium is substantially brighter which I'm not really a fan of. I already wish the MDC had lower low and medium modes so this one is even worse. It feels more like medium-high-turbo than low-medium-high to me.

md17

Enlightened
I've had the 519a dedome MDC for a couple weeks now and used around the house and on walks. I'm really impressed with the emitter. Color rendering is excellent and and the tint is pretty if you like a little bit rosy. Compared to my trusty MDC N with the 4000K XP-G2 it has a noticeably more intense spot, but it's not a huge difference and the beam is still a great all-rounder.

The low and high modes seem similar in brightness to the MDC N, but medium is substantially brighter which I'm not really a fan of. I already wish the MDC had lower low and medium modes so this one is even worse. It feels more like medium-high-turbo than low-medium-high to me.
Any beam shots ?

boo5ted

Enlightened

Med-High is fine for mine just wish the low was closer to 1 or 2 lumens instead of 30 or so. That's the only complaint I have about mine, everything else is perfect for an EDC light for me.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish Gene would use the mode spacing on the 1-2v AA MDC models with the li-ion models, the sub lumen is excellent for nighttime around the house with the 1-2v AA. The first click to low is way too bright on li-ion models. That is why either opt for the 1-2v AA or 2-3.2v CR123 MDC models

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a fantastic light. 2xAA body is phenomenal
IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
Yup. Just the stock 5700k 3 mode with white eneloops

Wanted the 2xAA body also for future setups considering the newer heads can run multiple li-ions. This will be awesome running two 14500s
Nice! I've thought about getting this for the M31LL 219b 3v drop-ins from Illumn. Would be amazing run times with Eneloops.

HermodsRide

Newly Enlightened
Question for you fine folks:

Looking to pickup an XP-L Wildcat soon. Not sure which tint I want. Thoughts?

I own an 18650 Wildcat Neutral, but I currently use it without the film on a 21700 body and I love it. Looking to leave the film on the next one.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have thoughts on the 4000K 95CRI SST-20 that Malkoff uses in the MDC? How does the tint compare to nichia? Should I just wait for the CR123 MDC to be available with a 519A?