The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this your first Malkoff? If so, be prepared to be impressed.

Grizz

Yeah, I got my M61WL 3 weeks back.
I am sooooo impressed by the build quality & beam shot.
Now, i have another M61 219 en route..

Impressed & broke. :D
But happy to be broke, when i know I'm getting quality products. :thumbup:

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahaha, I was actually asking KDM, but I'm glad you like your Malkoffs.

I bought a couple non-Malkoffs recently (setups Gene doesn't offer), and the quality really is no contest.

Grizz

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes this is my first Malkoff. I really don't know why I haven't purchased one sooner. Looking forward to trying it out. I own Oveready's, Mac's, Mcgizmo's, HDS, etc. and use all of them for certain purposes. No shelf queens for me. My most carried work light at the moment is the Alpha RM w/MCE. It might get to take a break once the Malkoff arrives?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have the M61NL to add to the comparison? Getting twice the run time sure does make it attractive. It would probably serve my needs, why is it so hard not to overkill? Ha

I bought 2-3 full power M61/M60 variants, then a M61LL, and just recently purchased a M61L 219. I will say that the L unit does it all - good enough output to do almost everything, and 5 hours of regulated runtime. I really think it is the most well rounded Malkoff.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Five hours sounds awesome, is that on 2-123's or 1-18650? I also have a question about the hi/low. It's advertised 10-20 lumens on low, is that on any level module or do the lower level one's go lower than that?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Five hours sounds awesome, is that on 2-123's or 1-18650? I also have a question about the hi/low. It's advertised 10-20 lumens on low, is that on any level module or do the lower level one's go lower than that?

2xCR123, not sure on an 18650.

As far as I know, there is a resistor in the hi/lo ring, so all modules should have the same output on low. Of course, I'm just guessing and I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to confirm/correct me.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not too sure about the run time difference but I would guess that a single 18650 would have longer run time than 2 x 16340, given the capacity of the cells..

Can anyone verify this?

JonK

Redhat703

Enlightened
I'm not too sure about the run time difference but I would guess that a single 18650 would have longer run time than 2 x 16340, given the capacity of the cells..

Can anyone verify this?

JonK

1 x 18650 3400 mAh will give you ~ 4V*3.4Ah = 13.6Wh
2 x 16340 750mAh will give you ~8V*.75Ah = 6Wh.
Assuming the efficiency of the load is the same with both voltages, the 18650 will last twice as long.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some testing last night with different modules driven by two 18650s, in the same head, with the same high/low ring, at the same approximately 1 meter distance. This is a measurement of spot lux, not an integrating sphere, but it should be somewhat representative

M61 SHO 165 lux
M61 200 lux
M61 L 184 lux
M61 LL 203 lux

Grizz

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some testing last night with different modules driven by two 18650s, in the same head, with the same high/low ring, at the same approximately 1 meter distance. This is a measurement of spot lux, not an integrating sphere, but it should be somewhat representative

M61 SHO 165 lux
M61 200 lux
M61 L 184 lux
M61 LL 203 lux

Grizz

Now why would the SHO have lower lux than the M61?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are lux at low mode, so we cannot draw any conclusions regarding the high mode. Measuring at 1 m opens up to a larger margin of error. IMO, we can say that they all have approximately the same output on low mode.
It would also be interesting to measure the current draw at low mode.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think bout measuring tailcap amperage this time. That wouldn't be difficult for me to do after work today.

Grizz

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong but the SHO is rated for higher voltage (12v). So running it at a lower voltage will lower it's potential output. Also lower voltage will draw more amperage and decrease run times.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my M61NL today. I dropped it in a oveready host since my md2 hasn't arrived yet. I took a couple of quick shots just for comparison. Both running a AW18650 3100, M61NL and Alpha MCE 4500 on medium.

M61NL
IMG_20130424_171645.jpg

Alpha
IMG_20130424_172246.jpg

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
KDM your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Norm think I got them fixed. I have to size them manually on this phone. Need a better photo editor app. If they're still to large I'll just delete them. Let me know, thanks.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just measured the tailcap current of the M61LL, L, M61 XP-G, and M61 XP-G2 on the low setting from the same high/low ring being fed from a single AW 18650 cell.

The all measured at exactly 18 mA.

I didn't measure the HO or SHO, since the increased voltage would have skewed the results.

Grizz

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Grizz, that would confirm they're all the same on low. Output will just depend on emitters and tint.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
Posted this in the Malkoff Junkie thread Part 1 but maybe I should've posted it in Part 2...

So I've been bitten by the Malkoff lights as well as all you guys. Purchased the MD2 first and was so impressed that I purchased the MDC O AA next and then the other day I purchased the Wildcat/MD4 (2 x 18650's) for a bit more throw and run time than the MD2.

My question is what is the best holster that works for the Wildcat/MD4? I searched but couldn't find one. Not really wanting to do the cell phone adaption shown on youtube. Need a nice holster that is made for easy in and out but won't loose the light (I've carried a stinger for a long time in an open top leather holster and once in a while if I get off a forklift the light is still on the lift).

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.