The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Thank you. So does it ruin the LED if two primaries are used?

If the LED and driver are rated to use 6v nominal, then 2 cr123a at 3v nominal EACH would power the light at 6v. Therefore, unless regulated, a single 3.7v 16650 would underdrive the module. Physically, a cr123a cell is hypothetically half a 16650, so 16330. 16 is the diameter, 33 is the length, 0 is cylindrical.

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
If the LED and driver are rated to use 6v nominal, then 2 cr123a at 3v nominal EACH would power the light at 6v. Therefore, unless regulated, a single 3.7v 16650 would underdrive the module. Physically, a cr123a cell is hypothetically half a 16650, so 16330. 16 is the diameter, 33 is the length, 0 is cylindrical.

I mean, if the Malkoff bezel is rated for 3.4-5v, what are two primaries at 3v each going to do to the LED?

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
Did Malkoff ever make any M61LLL that were not special order, not nichia and not Oveready? I have two which are engraved M61LLL and nothing else. I know I never special ordered any and the ones I have from Illumn and Oveready have Nichia or an N respectively engraved.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, if the Malkoff bezel is rated for 3.4-5v, what are two primaries at 3v each going to do to the LED?

I can't be certain exactly what MDC head you have based on your provided info, but this was posted in the MDC thread back in 2013:

Hey Vox,

Gene sent out an e-mail a few weeks ago announcing the change (quoted below):

"We have just updated the specs on the M361-LMH, M361N-LMH, MDC LMH, and Neutral MDC LMH Heads to include the use of two CR123A primaries. The changes are retroactive"

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
If it operates in Low - Medium - High sequence, then it should work with two CR123s.
'
Thank you. The 5v limit on the side of the bezel just confused me, because I know 2 x CR123A's are 6v total. But apparently the previous owner had been using it with two primaries. I was concerned about the light being overdriven and what that means for me when I get it.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
Went out with my brother tonight to play with our Malkoff lights - we had about 7 different models. My new M61LL really impressed me the most. I got it for my bug out bag hosted in a yellow G2 - a match made in heaven! The output is more than sufficient and the runtime is crazy.

Hopefully my next order will be delivered this week, a M61N for EDC. Cannot wait!

kj2

Flashaholic
My HD Super is stuck at customs. Hope the post can deliver it Tuesday or Wednesday.
Still don't know if I'll keep it.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HD Super is stuck at customs. Hope the post can deliver it Tuesday or Wednesday.
Still don't know if I'll keep it.

Yeah mine was delivered late too. Thanks to Christmas . But you will be impressed by it's throw. I feel like I can call Batman with the beam mines gives out

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Went out with my brother tonight to play with our Malkoff lights - we had about 7 different models. My new M61LL really impressed me the most. I got it for my bug out bag hosted in a yellow G2 - a match made in heaven! The output is more than sufficient and the runtime is crazy.

Hopefully my next order will be delivered this week, a M61N for EDC. Cannot wait!

Yup.

The M61LL runs a long time and for all practical purposes works the same as the M61L in terms of field effectiveness IMHO.

dhunley1

Enlightened
The M61LL is nice. Not my preferred tint, but the output to runtime ratio is awesome. I have mine in a VME head and will sometimes run it on a 14500 battery and it still gets what I consider good runtimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts