Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Did some measuring of the current draw at the tail for my M61L 219:

1 Protected AW 17670 - 302mA
2 Surefire primaries - 281mA
2 Spiderfire RCRs - 250mA

Shooter21

Enlightened
Pardon my crappy photography skills. I set the white balance to about what i see when i compare them in person.
beamshot.jpg

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Not a bad shot. It looks cooler, but no blue or green hues can be seen. Just whiter. Interesting shot. Thanks.

Glock 22

Enlightened
Pardon my crappy photography skills. I set the white balance to about what i see when i compare them in person.

Nice beamshot :thumbsup:.

Wow. Not a bad shot. It looks cooler, but no blue or green hues can be seen. Just whiter. Interesting shot. Thanks.

I agree it does look whiter, it looks good to me. Mine should be here any day.

Glock 22

Enlightened
:twothumbsI just got my M61 219 today, and it's perfect. Just the right color tint, and flawless beam profile, it has a little more flood at the hotspot, then my other M61's. Money well spent. Awesome.

Last edited:

arcane

Newly Enlightened
I just got my M61 219 and M61L 219 today and I am totally impressed!
I noticed the M61L 219 is ever so slightly warmer than the full power version. Only barely noticeable when comparing the two though.

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
Can someone with several 219 series drop-ins take beam shots to compare the output of these guys??

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the chance to handle GLOCK22's M61 219 this evening and it's sweet! My first time seeing a hi cri led light. Super nice tint and floody beam. I could definitely notice the better color rendering with the hi cri of the nichia. There was a few minor rings in the outer spill beam, but nothing I would complain about or stop me from buying one. Till now, I have shyed away from the hi cri xpg's because of the tint being too warm. Not a problem with the nichia's. I cant wait to see brighter bins with these led's.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Notes on my M61L 219:

The tint has become quite a bit cooler after about 10 hours of use. The light is also brighter now after 10 hours - I would have to say at least 110 lumens. The ceiling bounce I get now compared to when I first used it is much better. Still using a protected AW 17670 and the module will stay regulation down to 2.86 volts.

Love this dropin! Thank you again Craig and Gene!

af112566

Newly Enlightened
hi guys,,,does the m61 219 look that pink or is it the exposure??if its that pink i dont think id like it.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Notes on my M61L 219:

The tint has become quite a bit cooler after about 10 hours of use. The light is also brighter now after 10 hours - I would have to say at least 110 lumens. The ceiling bounce I get now compared to when I first used it is much better. Still using a protected AW 17670 and the module will stay regulation down to 2.86 volts.

Love this dropin! Thank you again Craig and Gene!

interesting....
could it have a break in period? gets better with age perhaps? is cooler better? meaning the tint is leaning towards the 119 side? hmmm.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
interesting....
could it have a break in period? gets better with age perhaps? is cooler better? meaning the tint is leaning towards the 119 side? hmmm.

Yes, I do prefer the cooler tint (and more lumens) now. I have to admit, when I first started using my M61L 219, the tint was a LITTLE too warm for my taste, but it's damn near perfect now. Someone just posted a picture on the MP comparing the M61 219 with a haiku 119 - the 219 was quite a bit cooler.

Here's an interesting thread about "burn-in".
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...urn-in-quot-of-SST-90-significantly-lowers-Vf

I'll be using the dropin for MANY years to come. :)

Max_Power

Enlightened
I am using an M31 Nichia 219 in an MD3 body with a new hi-low ring (75 ohm resistor.) Powered with 2 eneloops (about 2.5 volts), the light won't turn on in low mode. If I start in high and switch to low, I get a couple lumens, which is a nice amount of light in a dark house - it is bright enough for me to see color more than 20 feet away. On low, It is about 1/5 or 1/10 the lumens from my M61 Nichia 219 powered by 2x AW 18350 at ~8V. On high the two drop-ins are almost identical, with a very slight advantage for the M61 with 8V.

I wonder how long you could run the M31 219 on low with 2 eneloops before it finally quits? Here is a quick estimate.

On low I measured .030 amp at the tail. At 2.5 volts that is 0.075 watts. 2 eneloops contain about 2 Ah * 1.2V * 2 cells = 4.8 watt hours. Assuming I can squeeze all the power out of them, and the current draw doesn't ramp up as the voltage drops, I could run the light for 64 hours.

On high, I see 1.425 amps at the tail. At 2.5 volts that's 3.6 watts. Expect over an hour of high beam from 2 eneloops!

Oh, by the way, the color rendition is FANTASTIC and I want all my lights to have this emitter now. Tint looks perfectly natural, it's very easy on the eyes. I get balanced rainbows when I shine it on a chandelier, with no weak colors or domination by red or blue. White walls look pretty much white. This is the all-around white LED I have been waiting for.

So now I am torn between waiting for a higher-efficiency version, or replacing all my emitters with this one before the supply disappears. Hey, it happened with the M60W - I liked that peachy/rosy tint better than just about any XPG. For a few things (throw, pleasant tint for human skin) I still prefer the M60W over the Nichia. But in general I prefer the Nichia 219.

--Max_Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts