Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LED

• Other

• Total voters

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
For me there are two criteria. I need a fairly dim "white" light for the passenger to read maps at night. I hate turning on the dome light when I am driving at night - I even think that it impairs vision of the road and is, therefore, mildly dangerous. I also need a bright light for reading street signs house numbers, dealing with emergencies, etc. I have found that a single light, the Streamlight Twin task, suffices for both of these purposes.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a car, a TT-2L is a good all-around light that you wouldn't mind banging up a bit too. I've got a Scorpion in the seat pocket (at the front of the seat bottom) in my car (my wife drives it 99% of the time). If she's going to take the Rover, there's a Mag 3D LuxIII DD in there. I've been meaning to pick up a few TT-2L's for the cars and for my parents.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have CMG Ultra-G's in the center consoles as well.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a CMG Reactor II. Reasonably bright and will run over 20 hours with fairly consistent brightness on lithium AAs. I think it's a good compromise between low output/long life nichia based flashlights and high output/short life "tactical" type lights. Just rememeber that this light is a lithium only device. Useless with alkalines.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my glove box, I have a Streamlight Scorpion, with an extra set of batteries in a Walmart match container. Under the seats I have one of those 2D traffic cone lights, an Eveready 2D cheapie, and an Eveready 6-volt lantern. I also have a couple $1 countycomm lights in the console, and a Photon 2 on my keyring.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
We have two cars. In each glove compartment we keep a G2, MiniMag/ MM+ Q3, MiniMag/ Newbeam, SC1 spares carrier with six 123s and a P60. The MiniMags have lithium batteries.

In the trunk in a tool bag we each have a 3D Mag mod with three 3toDs/ KPR118.

Plus there is a X5T in my glove compartment.

utomatoe

Enlightened
Hmm.. the more I think about it, the more useful headlamps would be. If you need to do any sort of work on the car, a headlamp would be the most useful, since it leaves both hands free.

Your car battery should be good enough for hazard lights. Failing that, road flares are cheap and unless you find a need to be signalling constantly, why get a strobe?

Most headlamps are water-resistant as well, they should survive a downpour.

Who wants to open a hood, change a tire with a flashlight in their mouth?

The streamlight clipmate sounds promising, small and able to clip on for angled lighting. What about a anglelux, or a modded led anglelux? Should be cheap at military surplus stores?

StuU

Enlightened
Lithium AAAs are reportedly due out in August. This would make the AAA headlamps into ideal glovebox lights.

Stu
-----------------------

Modern science has been a voyage into the unknown, with a lesson in humility waiting at every stop. Many passengers would rather have stayed home.
-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I got my Anglehead Fulton at an Army Surplus for right at 8 bucks.

Only problem is, you GOTTA Everled or otherwise mod it! It STINKS! Stock!

The Clipmate is pretty darn handy. The only problem it ever gives me is that it is above my eye level, and sometimes it doesn't shine exactly where I need it as it is shaded by something.

Of course no such problem exists when changing a tire!

I got my Clipmate as part of a package deal. I don't know what they cost. There is a NiteBlaster copy at Wallyworld that works almost as well (doesn't switch on and off as easy).

Lithiums are best for a forget about it light, but like I said, I play with and 'test' my lights often.

balrog

Enlightened
I keep a SureFire E2 (G2 would be a better choice though) and Minimag with Opalec Newbeam in my car's tiny glovebox. Reading signs, house numbers, spotting wildlife, etc, really needs the throw of a Xenon bulb. And the Newbeam is indespensible for its LED reliability, runtime and battery availability.

If I was to recommend a single flashlight though it would have to be a Streamlight Twin Task, take your pick based on size and preferred battery.

Spudman

Enlightened
Inova 24/7 gets my vote. Not too expensive, runs on one lithium, small, and a huge variety of options for seeing or being seen. Sure, emergency flashers on the car are better, if they are working, but you can wear the inova around your neck if you are forced to walk.

Having said all that, I still have a Surefire M2 in my car as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Gary

dg

Newly Enlightened
I had a Mag 2C for years, but now use an Inova 24/7 as it is a very versatile light and signal beacon

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For the last two years, in the passenger compartment glove box of each of my personally-owned automobiles is a Brinkmann Legend LX - the old focusable model along with a 72-pack of SF123s. For most circumstances, I believe that this combination would suffice. On the floorboard of each car is a Mag Instrument Magcharger for backup. My issue vehicle is similarly equipped and with a Maxabeam in the trunk glove box.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I keep a TT-2L in each car as well as a CMG Ultra G. I like the TT lights except that you have to cycle through one setting to get to another.

B

Birmingham47

My vote goes to the Princeton Tec Rage or Blast. Heck, the blast could fit in a motorcycle's storage compartment, saddlebag, etc. I agree on the xenon choice. When shining from the car, you need the tight light pattern. For light in the car, i.e. area light, I'd go with the PALight, Princeton Tec Attitude, or any of the various keychain lights available.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
After reading all of these replies, I am finding myself a little on the light side of things (pun intended).

I have 4 of the $1 key chain lights (white) in each of my glove boxes.

The only thing I don't have covered is reading house numbers from the street, and I have kids for that...

Of course, I have my EDC with me, and my truck has a few extra lights in it (X990, PT 40, Streamlight Trident, Lightwave 4000, Dorcy AAA, BB400, etc.)

Tom

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I do not recommend flashlights that use 123 batteries as gifts! The first time they go to find replacement batteries and find they cost $10.00 a pair at WalMart....a nice light goes in the trash! For a car light, I'd recommend the Streamlight TT-3C (3xC batteries) or the Lightwave 4000 which uses 3xD size batteries and generates a wall of close-up light.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the glovebox is large enough, the Maglite in 2C config is good for all we have mentioned, except in the car map reading. It is good for changing a tire, or checking numbers on houses.

I suspect that a Mini Mag would do everything I need to do.

I also prefer the TT2L but most folks won't have access to one, and the hated Mags have served well for many, many years. I don't care if the beams aren't perfect when I an changing a tire. In fact I haven't had to change a tire on the road at night in my life.

My own vehicles have cheap plastic AA and C cell Walmart lights in them. I just change the batteries at least once a year, and inspect them before every trip.

I haven't needed several hundred dollars worth of lights and spare batteries. In my car when travelling, I always have at least one 6 volt lantern. That beats any flashlight as I can aim it and set it down. A snake light is the other light I carry when travelling.

Jerry

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i placed tec-40s with lithiums and xenon bulbs in each of our cars.

the bummer is that the cost of each with batteries is close to $30...coulda had a couple of TT2L's, but they werent out yet.

the upside is that they can still eat any old alkie, are relatively inexpensive, and replacement bulbs are also inexpensive and easy to find. they are also damn bright, and should run for a while.

i think there are many good glovebox/car lights--but of course, each person's needs will vary.

i guess that overall we look for: reasonable price, good performance (some throw with decent runtime), reasonable size, reliability, rugged, ability to use lithiums.

i think the TT2L really fills this niche well.

Bob