The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61, how big is your land that he is flashing? Sounds like a very large space.

Curtis

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is, and totally dark. It is about three acres and there are sailboats, jetskis and other things around. I am down here in Central America. The ability to see far away minimizes risk for him and that is why he only flashes the light, so as not to give his position away. Keep in mind he is not using the HOLA just the LOLa MN20.

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on gettin an M6 soon and plan on trying the MN15. What I dont quite get though is that the MN15 is rated 125 lumens with the M3T and you are guesstimating 200 lumens in the M6. Is the difference in the extra current source ability of the extra battery stack thus less voltage drop = more lumens? Did Surefire design this bulb for the M3T anticipating the voltage drop? I think I've probably answered my own questions in any event how are your MN 15's holding up so far?
thanks
Tom

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
trailblazer, the MN15 puts out more than 125 lumens in the M3T. Unlike most manufacturers who rate the lamp at turn on, using fresh cells, and then exaggerate that number, Surefire rates their lamps at midway through the run.

The MN15 is slightly underdriven in the M3T, and puts out more light in the M6, when the voltage sag isn't as great.

Bill

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...truth be told...I'm VERY VERY tired at this point. Why you ask?

I've been jumping up and down with excitement ever since I tried the
MN15 in the M6. It's the absolute cat's behind.
buttrock.gif

As of last night's hike, I have just under 2 hours on the MN15 running
on the same set of cells. Very nice white beam with a very useful output.

My friend uses his M6 to track game and has found it a good light for
the purpose but not perfect. His complaints were run time and lack of
spill at closer distances. The solution is simple.

a) Add an FM24 diffuser.
b) Swap the MN20 for the MN15.

Both are on order for him and I'm certain he will be very pleased.

Thanks JS, bwaites, and CPF. Another great discovery.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lent out my M6 to a friend last night with the MN15 lamp in. he was going to use it constant on for some work he had to do in the woods for over an hour......he was ever so impressed with the light using this "low output" lamp. Amazing, I thought I might as well tell the story and bump this thread to the top to let some of the folks out there interested know that most likely, it is really OK and great to use this lamp in the light like JS originally stated.

PLT

Newly Enlightened
I just have this M6/MN15 set up and it is like what JS said "A2's bigger brother". You know how good and useful an A2 incan can be, and this set up is just its bigger brother with more lumens, more throw and longer runtimes (in a bigger package). I think that this is a great news for all M6 owners out there. Cheers to JS for sharing this information with all of us.

paulr

Flashaholic
LED61 said:
It is, and totally dark. It is about three acres and there are sailboats, jetskis and other things around. I am down here in Central America. The ability to see far away minimizes risk for him and that is why he only flashes the light, so as not to give his position away. Keep in mind he is not using the HOLA just the LOLa MN20.
Eh? Turning on that M6 even for an instant will give his position away. He needs night vision goggles, not a flashlight.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Eh? Turning on that M6 even for an instant will give his position away. He needs night vision goggles, not a flashlight.

True, but that other alternative is so much more expensive!! and really it is difficult to follow someone if he only flashes. If he had night vision gogles he would become a more sought after target to steal his equipment and we would be defeating the purpose. Down here, we know if someone wants you bad enough they'll get to you. Best to keep a low profile. Oh well OT again so I'll stop it.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!

Thanks everyone! I'm thrilled that others like this setup as much as I do!

My M6 is still setup with the MN15 and primaries and it's still going strong and I still love it. So far so good! I'll keep reporting the long term field testing of this setup as time goes by. I expect by summer to have at least 30 hours on the lamp, and we'll see then how things are. In the meantime, thanks again everyone, and enjoy the SF M6 X-LOLA!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. So someone PM'd me with an excellent question: if you use the M6 body with the M3 head (smaller, non-turbo head) can you use the MN10 with all 6 123's installed in the MB20 battery magazine?

In a word, the answer, I think, is yes.

I'm reasonably sure that the MN10 is made with the exact same lamp as the MN15, just potted into a fixture with a shorter collar to filament length so that it is properly focused in the standard, non-turbo M3 head (which will fit onto the M6 body just fine).

The advantage of this setup would be a beam with more flood (but less throw) that would be better suited to close range, around the house and yard type use.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add that I have had discussions with Size15's about the MN10 and MN15 and that they are the same lamp, just potted differently.

I have actually used the M3 head on my M6 in this manner, and it is pretty cool as a general use flashlight. (It looks funny, though!)

I've gone back to using it on my M3 body because I have rechargeable cells for it there.

Bill

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Wow, I can't believe I haven't spotted this thread before!

Thanks for the information, js.

I've just ordered an mn15. I also checked out:

http://www.knivesandtools.com/de/help/flashlights-comparison.htm?dist=20m&flashlight1=20msfm3T.jpg&flashlight2=20msfm6.jpg

to get an idea what to expect compared to the MN20. I expect there will be even less difference than in those comparison shots, because (1) The mn15 is slightly overdriven in the M6, and (2) Then new MN20s (which is what I have) seem to be a bit less bright than the older ones, according to some beamshots from WQuiles in another thread.

batman

Enlightened
OutdoorIdiot said:
Wow, I can't believe I haven't spotted this thread before!

Thanks for the information, js.

I've just ordered an mn15. I also checked out:

http://www.knivesandtools.com/de/help/flashlights-comparison.htm?dist=20m&flashlight1=20msfm3T.jpg&flashlight2=20msfm6.jpg

to get an idea what to expect compared to the MN20. I expect there will be even less difference than in those comparison shots, because (1) The mn15 is slightly overdriven in the M6, and (2) Then new MN20s (which is what I have) seem to be a bit less bright than the older ones, according to some beamshots from WQuiles in another thread.

You are correct. The older model MN20 was so powerfully driven that it was probably a bit too delicate for use in extreme conditions, hence the newer lamp is toned down a bit so its more robust. It's kind of like the new flight profile for the space shuttle which takes it more gently through the period of maximum dynamic pressure. It's a trade off.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will notice (at least I did) a smaller beam but it will be brighter and whiter for longer. A lesser area will be illuminated.

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm probably going to get jumped on from a great height here, but I'm afraid I can't see the point of this at all. The whole point of the M6 is that it is very bright. What on earth is the point of putting a low-power bulb in it? All you get is a clunker with a dim bulb. If runtime is the concern, what is wrong with carrying a smaller light and some spare cells?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
I'm probably going to get jumped on from a great height here, but I'm afraid I can't see the point of this at all. The whole point of the M6 is that it is very bright. What on earth is the point of putting a low-power bulb in it? All you get is a clunker with a dim bulb. If runtime is the concern, what is wrong with carrying a smaller light and some spare cells?

No jump DM51, the thing is that the bulb is not dim. It is very bright and white, the only drawback is the diameter or elliptical area illuminated is smaller. As Jim has pointed out, the current draw rate is less than .5C, and you can reap the benefit of the whole stored capacity of your cells. Hence, it is very economical for its brightness, which might just be all you need. So basically this is another alternative to the M6 that just makes it all the more versatile. Go ahead and give it a try!!

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks LED61, very good reply. I hadn't really picked up fully on the economy and versatility benefits of this. Useful.