The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
JS, do you think we are still experimeting lamp life with the MN15? I'm asking this because I just came accross Wquiles thread

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=79756

and seems like Al threw in a pretty good warning against the MN15 on fears it might explode. I'm not sure if he really meant only the MN16 but mentioned the MN15 as well. He said he's had several lamps explode in turboheads I wonder if the MN15 was one of them.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MN16 is more likely to have problems on 3S2P battery packs than the MN15 is. The MN16 is running right on the edge on 3 123 cells, while the MN15 is slightly underdriven in comparison.

When you run the MN16 on 3 cells, due to current draw, the voltage at the lamp is about 6.7-6.8volts, and when you run it on the M6 configuration it is closer to 7.3-7.5, which is a substantial overdrive in comparison.

In contrast, the MN15 is being driven at about 7.2 or so with 3 cells, and is a little underdriven at that voltage, so the slightly higher voltage of the M6 configuration is less problematical.

Jim first mentioned this to me several weeks ago, and I've been running the MN15 for a while, I like it ALMOST as much as my M6-R driving the MN16. (If I recall correctly, the M6-R pack is designed to put out exactly 6.8 volts, ideal for the MN16, but underdriving the MN15.)

Bill

wquiles

Flashaholic
I can also vouch for Jim's point on the low heat issue. I have been running the N2 for a long while (I get about an hour on my modified 7.5V M6-R pack) and it is GREAT in that regard. Very low heat and long runtimes ;)

Will

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61,

No worries on lamp life. It's not driven that hard. I would guess the MN15 in the M6 will last at least 25 hours, crystal clear. But you know, this setup is my primary walk light now, and that means over the next 6 months or so I will probably rack up that much runtime (or more). So we shall see.

Really, though, as Bill points out, it's a very mild overdrive AND we're starting with a lamp that is UNDERDRIVEN on a single stack of 123's. So, we're good.

And really, the MN16 would probably survive as well, but that kind of overdrive is just too much to be practical. You really want to stay above 11 hours of life, and 15-20 is better, and 25-35 is best.

That's actually my worry about the MN61 driven with R123's in the stock MB20. It looks like that setup is too overdriven to be viable. The MN60 might be better. Or it might not. It might also be too overdriven.

Hotwire modders around CPF often like to talk about driving the 1185 at 11.1 volts and about how they are getting ten bizillion lumens out of it. Wow. Great. Now give it to an LEO for a shift and let him or her actually USE the stupid thing. What? No kidding? Gee, the lamp gave out after only 6 hours? Who would have guessed that would happen.

Yeah. OK. Moving on. The starting CCT (the "whiteness") of the MN15 on brand spanking new fresh from the package 123 cells is not up into the range that the higher strung mag mods are into. The 1111 on 6 cells or the 1185 on 9, for example, come in noticeably whiter, and thus more overdriven. Yet even the 1111 on 6 cells will last a good dozen hours or more.

And SureFire lamps are generally under-rated in their hours of life.

So, I would be astonished if there were any problem with the life span of the MN15 in the M6. It's good to go in my opinion. I am not concerned in the least. But, as I said, I will be keeping track of how many sets of batteries I put my X-LOLA setup through, so we shall see.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Jim thanks I'll also order some MN15's and give it a try. And on the rechargeable deal we had going on the other thread I had also almost given up on the idea between the runtime, the prospect of the bats shutting off, charging the cells individually and the lamp life and all that stuff. I'd like to hear from Nugget to see how it went after a few hours with his setup. After I see how beautiful the light goes on the stock MN20 I can appreciate your original advice to run it stock, but, that MN15 will, as you put it, probably be much more economical and it is probably all some people NEED.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61,

Yeah. It's not necessarily the best for everyone. It will depend on your needs and preferences and on how well your dark adaption works and so on. But it's certainly worth giving it a try! The MN15 is only using just over 2 123's per hour, and giving 200 lumens for that. Most 2 123 lights run for an hour, but give about 100 lumens. So that's a gain. The MN20 is still not too expensive to run, either, though, depending on how long you can make a set of batteries last for you. And WHAT A BEAM!

batman

Enlightened
thanks js for the research, that's one more reason I need to buy an M-6! (creepy darth vador voice) i see you have constructed a new light sabre...

CQB

Enlightened
hey JS: just letting you know it's largely because of this very thread that I traded in my M4 for a M6 and outfitted it with the X-LOLA. I am very very pleased with its beam. Brightness is very adequate for my needs. Will be using this on shift with less guilt, thanks to the longer runtime. :) Tks for the heads up in the first place!

CQB

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman and CQB,

Thanks for the posts and I'm glad this thread was of some interest to you! My own SF M6 with X-LOLA is continuing to serve me very well--so far so good. I will report more as more time passes but I expect everything to turn out as expected.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
CQB said:
I am very very pleased with its beam. Brightness is very adequate for my needs.

I have found that the MN15, N2, MN10, and P90 hit the sweet spot as far as lumens and throw for most of my outdoor uses.

batman

Enlightened
I have purchased an M6 after reading this post and am also using the X-LOLA set up. 1 word - eeeexcellent

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MN21 IS NOT rated at a lower voltage. It's operating voltage is less by design and because the 123 primaries have more voltage sag under the heavy load. It is made perfect to run on such a setup.

batman

Enlightened
I've had an M-6 a few weeks now and it's great no matter what LA im running in it to be honest. I really love running it on the Mn-15 after reading JS's thread though.

My brother would agree that the 9p with P90 lamp assembly is fenomenal for aircraft maintenance.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
My landkeeper ran this setup briefly but he clearly told me it was not the powerful beam he needed to see long distances in flashes. He only flahes and so he went back to the MN20 but the setup ran great. I find he goes through a set of batteries every 3 weeks or so with the MN20 flashing every night.