The Strength of Your EDC Flashlight

What is the strength of your EDC flashlight?

• Total voters

Steve C

Enlightened
kelmo said:
First off I don't think this poll is stupid. Why all the criticism? Cosine just asked you for your opinion.

As for the poll topic, my choice was runtime. IMHO an EDC is for the un-expected situations that require light, power failures in large buildings or car troubles in rural areas come to mind. You never know how long your going to be stuck or lost or both.

kelmo

There it is. Spoken like a man who has BEEN in unexpected situations; as opposed to a flashlight junkie who carries five lights at all times because he WANTS to... nothing wrong with that, but I only have so much pocket space, and other gear competing for that space.

My A2 is on me when I'm working, and sometimes when I'm not; but always, ALWAYS, an ARC AAA is in a pocket somewhere. What's really funny is that these two are my most-carried, and least USED, lights. Like any good flashaholic, I have numerous lights at various locations (car, house, war bag, etc.) that are grabbed when a light is needed. A 6P with old KL3 head and Z49 clickie tail vies with an even older Mini-Mag with Opa-Lec NewBeam for the title of most-used light around the house.

The A2 got a real work-out during Katrina and its aftermath, but for the most part it and the ARC just ride around in pockets, waiting to illuminate something. The point of all this is, you're only as good as what you've got, right there in your pocket or attached to you, when the lights go out. And while you can "what if???" the situation to death, odds are runtime will be, in the end, more important than any other factor. That blinding modded light or rechargeable "guilt-free lumens" wonder will be cool... until it dies in less than an hour into a many-hour ordeal.

Been there; done that; never again.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you know Jim I HAD to throw in my EDC bag just to keep up with your pocket carries...lol

Doug

JimH said:
Doug, I didn't know we were counting EDC bags. If I include my Maxpedition Proteus, that's another dozen lights.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, OK.... I change my EDC...
My variable output nFlex WX1S LuxeonV 8AA to 2D Mag has all the choices covered in the poll. Great flood with the head off, and great spill with the head on. 170 lumens and a huge Mag reflector for throw and monster brightness on high. The thing will run 80 hours on low with alkaline, NiMH or for days on eight lithium AA batteries. The PERFECT EDC!
Uhhhhhhh.....uuuuuhhhhhhhmmmmm .... kinda big to carry around on my keychain though. Size is very, very, very important to me for an EDC that I carry every day, every week, every month and every year. Brightness because if it is too dim, I won't EDC it just use it for emergency lighting. Runtime is important...several hours in case I need to do something for a few hours.
Throw and spill don't matter much as long as I have size, brightness and runtime covered. It is a good poll if your could pick the requirements as a listing of most important to least important.... and add size! I have a great light that will do it all except for the size so it is not an EDC.

Blazer

Enlightened
I try to carry two EDCs, one for brightness, SF 6P with the P61 bulb/head for instant brightness (20 min), then a Fenix L1P for little longer runtime (Lithium AA for hopefully near 2 hours to 50%), but I sometimes also throw a Pelican M6 LED in my coat on the way out the door.

When I'm on-duty I'll carry a Streamlight Strion (belt holster), a Pelican M6 LED (belt holster), and a Streamlight SL-20X LED in a belt ring. As well a Streamlight Stinger and Surefire 6P with the P60 bulb/head in my duty bag for backup or to lend to someone who has forgotten theirs (or carries an inferior flashlight).

I figure if I need a light I want brightness right away, then if there's an extended need for that light the L1P should do the trick (or PM6 when on duty) I also have a Streamlight Key-Mate and an Inova Micro-Light on my keychains.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'd have to add "variable brightness" to the list. I found EDC heaven when I got my HDS EDC-60basic. Enough throw for most situations and enough light levels as well.

chuck4570

Enlightened
I like to think my EDC has a little of all the qualities that you asked about. I EDC a Surefire E1e with a Alphe CR2 body for a nice small package. The 15 lumen lamp assembly is suprisingly bright with a nice little throw, and decent spill for a little light. This light does about 75% of all my light needs (hence EDC) and will get me to any of my other lights when the need arises.

Chuck

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For my purposes, my choise would be spill.
I use a flashlight mainly for close-range tasks, and I reach for the McLux with McFlood reflector more than any other flashlight. And that's about as floody as they get.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve C said:
The point of all this is, you're only as good as what you've got, right there in your pocket or attached to you, when the lights go out. And while you can "what if???" the situation to death, odds are runtime will be, in the end, more important than any other factor. That blinding modded light or rechargeable "guilt-free lumens" wonder will be cool... until it dies in less than an hour into a many-hour ordeal.
It's winter time, and since I've got more space in my coat pocket, I've been carrying a U2 recently. I feed it rechargeable li-ion cells, and my laptop (which goes with me whenever I travel on business) has sixteen more cells in its double battery packs. I figure when the plane goes down on the desert island, I'll have almost 400 hours of runtime, once I figure out how to pry open those sonically welded laptop battery packs. :)

So, does that count for runtime? Or does the U2 qualify for brightness? The spill is pretty bright, and certainly not one of those pencil thin moonbeams, but it'll never compete with some of those crazy wide spillbeams you get from an L0P or an Arc AAA. Throw? I dunno. I guess it throws far enough, but not like an incandescent.

This poll is too hard... :( I just going to vote for bright. :)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good poll idea just needed more catagories. I feel that my EDC, an HDS B-60
cover's most of the above bases for a easy carry light. several setting's for saving the batt's, good high brightness for me any how, will run long on primary and 30 min's average on a BS li ion.
With a 1xAAA peak or ARC around my neck and a freedom on my key's, I think I am pretty set.I love a hot incan thrower, but for weight/size, I'm cool with my setup. VDG

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Steve C said:
That blinding modded light or rechargeable "guilt-free lumens" wonder will be cool... until it dies in less than an hour into a many-hour ordeal.

Been there; done that; never again.

Yeah, anyone that is in a hurricane area should be prepared to have a power outage that could last up to a month (or even longer, for a select few) :ohgeez:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is usually a balance between traits. I only swap out if I know I'll need it for something specific, i.e. walk out by the river = throw.

-LT

dim

Enlightened
Rural, suburban, urban, professional, hobbyist - We all have different needs and wants depending upon each of our circumstances. Out in the boonies, it's easy to see how runtime would be valued, though, I suppose, that brightness would be a good thing too. And while stuffing The Bag, or in such a case, our pockets, for The Big One is fun and wise, I'm not particularly a nihilist. An EDC, I think, should be for what it is, a carry for everyday. When I whip it out, it's because I need or want light - and, usually, lots of it. Why just see, when you can see better? What I give up in size in my EDC, I gain in features - 50ish lumens bright, effective throw, bright, almost floody spill, good, free runtime, a twistie with momentary and it stands on end - the price was right too. Yeah, I guess that I'm a flashaholic because, currently, I EDC a Gerber LX 3.0. My backup/secondary EDC, primarily for close-up and hands free work, is my best of four Dorcy AAA.

dim

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxman said:
I EDC the HDS Ultimate 60 which is very good at Brightness, Throw, and Runtime depending on the level used..

With Luxman on this too.
Even with a dying battery, I still have useable light for close-up that will go for many-many hours. I eventually swapped in a fresh cell just for emergencies that may require the higher output. Since EDC this, I haven't had use for the Peak Matterhorn that is on the keychain.

Yooper

Enlightened
My EDC was chosen because it has the best combination of throw, spill, brightness, runtime, AND form factor, size, weight, type of switch, durability, conveniencejust feels right in my hand, etc. It's the light that is "JUST RIGHT".

Of course it's the Fenix L1P in a Chrisse custom Kydex holster. I appreciate it more every time I use it. What a great tool.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's generally an ARC-P and one of my two-cell Surefires in a front pants pocket.

I have found that both the L4 and the E2e get about the same runtime, give or take a few minutes. The The E2e with the KL1 head is about as bright as the E2e but runs three times as long. Add a McGizmo two-stage tailcap to either LED and you get a high/low feature. The A2 is also a good candidate.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Runtime I'm not preparing for the end of civilization, but I do want to be prepared for when the next east coast blackout hits. My standard configuration is to pocket carry a T3 and, for contingencies, bag carry a T2 with four spare CR123As. The T3 is my ordinary use EDC for lighting things up while the T2 is held in reserve for when things go wrong.

If I know I'm going to be out in a situation where I will need light, I'll take my SL PP Luxeon--loaded with NIMH--as it's much more economical to run than my CR123A lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
John N pretty much covered my answer as well. >90% of the time I pump 20 mA of current into a Luxeon that is behind a 20 mm reflector which is behind a SF beam shaper. This would I believe be what you have categorized as spill and with the single CR123 and greater than 40 hours of runtime, I think that covers the runtime part.

Nothing wrong with this poll but to answer the subject: "The strength of my EDC" I believe I would state that it is capable of four distinct intensity/ distribution outputs and would meet most of my needs even if they were of significant duration. Probably not necessary to state that it is in fact an EDC so it is there if I need it. Oh yeah, one other strength or in my case requirement is the fact that it will serve whether I have been in the water or am just all wet in principle. :p

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The strength of MY edc is that a LUXIII is both brighter and longer lasting than a stock Minim*g bulb.

It doesn't have excellent anything. But it has very good throw and spill and runtime and brightness.

And it looks just like any other Minim*g and thus is not likely to be taken. Also it rides nicely on my belt.

I chose "spill" however as if I need it up close I use the spill....

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Hi, My EDC lights, I guess are humble compared to most of those mentioned. However the two I carry almost all of the time are a Dorcy 1AAA, and a princetontech blast. Their good for most of the reasons I need some light. They are also compact, and don't take coin cell batteries. I usualy have a few more in my vehicle usually a streamlight 4AA and a headlamp a older style zenith or a EOS.

Latest posts