The SureFire E2L-AA Thread

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry Bill. :eek:

The one thing that has prevented me from getting an E2L-AA model is the optic in the head. Tight, narrow, beam is just less useful for certain lighting tasks. Now if it had the type of beam that comes out of the current version of the SF L1, I'd be all over it.

Harry999

Enlightened
Monocrom,

I would use the F04 diffuser to make the beam a very floody one for close range.

The one thing that has prevented me from getting an E2L-AA model is the optic in the head. Tight, narrow, beam is just less useful for certain lighting tasks. Now if it had the type of beam that comes out of the current version of the SF L1, I'd be all over it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom,

I would use the F04 diffuser to make the beam a very floody one for close range.

:ohgeez:

I forgot that it's basically the same head you get on an E1L. Which means the F04 will fit. Thanks for the help.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Monocrom, both the E2L AA and the current L1 share the same optic as well as the same emitter. In another words, they both have the same beam profile.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

The beam might not be the best or preferable for indoors use or for shining up walls. But for outdoors use I think it's great. Related to the total output the TIR optics provides a wide and punchy hotspot. The spill is dimmer than reflector light but still adequate for seeing the area around you. In my opinion this actually is an advantage because the spill with a reflector often dazzles on the foreground. Therefore I find the appellation for this light, Outdoorsman, very appropriate.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the stock E2L-AA is NOT an "outdoors" light. The TIR narrow beam is not very useful in the woods, the tint is too cool, and the low is way too high for dark adapted eyes. I sent mine to Milkylabs for a makeover. But I bought mine to have it modded so YMMV.

It's E series so it doesn't matter what they call it. Mine is neutral on high with a slight green tint on low, which is only visible white wall hunting.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know someone already asked but I couldn´t find the answer...

Can I use E2L-AA head in E1L body (1x CR123) ?

I am sure you can. Actually I tried using the opposite: E1L head to the E2L AA body because my E1L head has slightly warmer tint than E2L AA head(E2L AA is not too cool bit it's a slight difference because of the tint lottery, I understand).
But it was some issue with flickering so I avoided it. Maybe it was caused by the slightly higher voltage with 2x lithium cells compared to 1xCR123. No problem after that however.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same thing. Surefire has apparently made the E2L-AA head to run in a very narrow voltage range. VERY narrow.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I couldn't resist, snagged one off Amazon. It's been a while since this was released and I keep making excuses for myself. But now that we're in 2012, I need to have everything together for Dec. 21, LOL. :naughty:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist, snagged one off Amazon. It's been a while since this was released and I keep making excuses for myself. But now that we're in 2012, I need to have everything together for Dec. 21, LOL. :naughty:

i did the same this morning, saw a decent price on a certain auction site, and said its about time i get one of these.

uhh... whats going on on dec. 21? is it the new "doomsday" day? :naughty:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's December 22nd of this year when the world is supposed to end. Same B.S., different date. The world will actually come to an end completely unexpectedly, without any fore-warning, on some unknown date. Maybe 6 years from now, maybe 60, maybe 600. Maybe 6 hours from now. No one actually knows.

So, if you want an E2L-AA model . . . Now is literally as good a time as any to get one. :thumbsup: