The Weather Widget

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOAA/NWS are certainly good and I do use it a lot but WeatherUnderground (wunderground.com) uses computerized, very local, personal weather stations. It still amazes me how much of a weather variation we get in upstate NY within as little as 10 miles and often much less! NOAA/NWS can't do that, at least not around here.

I'll give you an example, say I want to drive the expressway heading home from Rochester (south shore of Lake Ontario). It can be overcast in Rochester until I hit the thruway overpass (just a couple miles south of the city, maybe 15 miles from the lake). There it might be pouring rain so bad that you cannot see (often literally on one side of the overpass and not the other, but that's another story). Within less than 5 miles of that it will be clear and sunny and the road will be totally dry. NWS forecast will say "chance of rain 20%" and the radar might show clouds (not rain) but only for a wide area and it will likely be up to an hour old. Wunderground will let me look at info from weather stations in peoples' back yards, local fire stations, etc. and I will know what the weather is like all the way along the drive and exactly what the weather is doing in specific places. It will be current since some stations automatically update within just a few seconds, not maybe once an hour. This is neat stuff for the finicky weather we get around here.

And like I said before any site that gives you a lightning detection for your area is way cool.

Give it a look and see what you think. It couldn't hurt, right?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greta, I like the weather widget you are using, where did you download it? Can you please share the link?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Greta

Flashaholic
Alex... I didn't download it. It came with Vista as part of the Sidebar. Here is a link to more gadgets that are available for download from the Microsoft site.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are quite a few nifty things available for Linux distros. I've tried out some of those vista ones... not bad but not better than what they're imitating. Thing is at this time of year in the Northwest, it doesn't relaly matter what's currently happening outside when I check because 45 minutes later it'll be something completely different. ;)
I do have a nice sticky note application for ubuntu. It lets me put sticky notes anywhere on my desktop... not just confined in vista's little sidebar area. And it lets me turn them a nice shade of green. :D
I don't have any super cool widget running at the moment though.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two on my dashboard:

The top one is in Celsius, if anyone wonders -- stupid Americans and their useless units ;). Kidding aside, I live long enough here to make do with Fahrenheit. I just have it in Celsius to tell my mother, when she calls, the temperature in a way that she can understand, without having to think myself.

The bottom one comes from NOAA, and I usually keep it on the Doppler radar image, as shown. Yes, it's animated.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
This is what I use on my Mac:

LoganWeather.jpg

And next week I have this to look forward to. Its not much of a change right now but last week, there was a high of 75 or so.
CalgaryWeather.jpg

mechBgon

Enlightened
I like the NOAA site and the hourly forecast graphs. Those are useful when planning a long after-work bicycle ride, particularly since I can click on the place I'm thinking of riding to, which might be >30mi / 50km away, and see if it's slated for a freak hail storm or something :thinking:

I envy the ~100°F temps, assuming they're coupled with reasonably low humidity. It's nice to be able to jam out the door for a 75-mile ride with nothing but a jersey & shorts, a stuffable wind shell, energy food, a Fenix L2D Q5 on a LockBlock and a SuperFlash in back, and lots of fluids... because that means I can take the fast bike, instead of having to load up my "workhorse" bike with everything I'd need to deal with a worst-case scenario (which for today, would've been a sudden drop to ~40°F plus a thunderstorm following me around, and let's throw in a flat tire for good measure).

As for memory-sapping widgets... well, I have 8GB of RAM. Bring it. :grin2:

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That does look nice, Greta....but still not enough motivation to have me change to Vista.

I'm partial to www.accuweather.com and just keep it as a toolbar link in Firefox....I can fit 23 website icons in a single row of toolbar links.