Therapeutic LEDS for US Army & civilians

highlandsun

Enlightened
Hm.... Too much variation here. 635nm, 660nm, 880nm. How come there isn't more easily accessible published research on these things, and statistically significant documentation on each particular wavelength's effectiveness?

DMD

Newly Enlightened
Dental curing lights utilizing LED emitters are fairly new products that still have not been perfected yet. The traditional curing lights use a halogen or plasma-arc full-spectrum light source that must be filtered of IR and UV wavelengths but have sufficient intensity to cure in 3 seconds what would take LED lights up to 10 sec.

Also, by making the lights battery-powered to provide portability means battery life is a limiting factor in its usage cycle, as well as limiting maximum power output. Dentists do not need portable curing lights until they have portable dental drills. Marketing determines what new gadget a dentist wants vs. what he truly needs.

My first mod will be a curing light utilizing a royal blue 5W Luxeon emitter in a discarded electric toothbrush handle (factory installed rechargeable batteries and an inductive charger). I am just waiting for my 700mA Badboy to arrive.

BTW "DMD" stands for Doctor of Dental Medicine

highlandsun

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, Brightnorm. Unfortunately, there are no specs in that article on the wavelengths they're working with. The body of that article appears to be reprinted in every other source I've found on the web as well. Not a lot to go on when it's all boiled down. But I suppose it at least verifies that there's something real to pursue here.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
highlandsun said:
Thanks for the link, Brightnorm. Unfortunately, there are no specs in that article on the wavelengths they're working with. The body of that article appears to be reprinted in every other source I've found on the web as well. Not a lot to go on when it's all boiled down. But I suppose it at least verifies that there's something real to pursue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is from a company promoting their healing LEDs, but it looks pretty informative NTL.

MORE THERAPEUTIC DOCUMENTATION

Brightnorm

Hemingray

Enlightened
Another thread discussing this mentioned 680, 730 and 880 nM LEDs. 880 is fairly common IR, 680 and 730 are more difficult to find. 680 would be deep red, 730 near-IR.

I have experimented with a mix of 660 and 880 nM LEDs, with
(so far) inconclusive) results. My unit uses 12VDC power,
either battery or wall wart. I was using it to help speed healing of an injured knee, it seems to have helped, it definitely did not cause any bad effects.

/ed B in NH

paulr

Flashaholic
Why not go deeper into the infrared wavelengths and just use a heating pad?

highlandsun

Enlightened
Good question...

That Anodyne link had a lot of good papers, thanks. The conclusion to draw from this seems to be that conventional approaches often don't work. I wonder if a heating pad is part of the conventional approach...

Latest posts