Thieves needs to be shot... rant

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll side with oldgrandpajack on the dangers of the castle philosophy. I have a childhood friend (in the US) that broke into a house several years ago to sit on a couch and smoke cigarettes. He was in his early twenties and had not yet been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm glad he wasn't shot by the homeowners. Since then, he has stabilized on medication, has finished college, and is pursuing a career in nursing. His family and I couldn't be more proud of him. Just one example of a home invasion that was not related to drug addiction, just mental illness. I also own lethal means of defending myself and family, but just wanted to add this situation to the discussion.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldgrandpajack said:
My take on this; nothing in my home is worth taking the life of anyone. All life is precious, and even the thief may someday wake up, and change his life. I leave judgement to the courts and God. I would call 911 regardless, and I would defend my family, if I felt they were threatened. Things can be replaced. Lives, once gone, can't be.

oldgrandpajack
The key thing here is " if I felt they were threatened". If a thief is breaking into an unoccupied store, a parked car, or my outside shed, I would assume he's only after property and poses little threat. I would use the threat of my weapon to try to detain him but would likely not use it unless a more direct threat became apparent.

However, if a criminal is engaged in a crime involving people he's already made the decision that he's going to do whatever is necessary to innocent victims to get away with his crime. Any thief who invades an occupied home, robs a bank, or carjacks is by definition "threatening" his victims by his actions and I would not hesitate to use the force necessary to protect myself or others.

A "property thief" will get the benefit of the doubt that his sudden movements aren't reaching for a weapon or trying to attack others. I have the liberty of more time to consider his intentions and my response because the threat level is lower and likely not an immediate threat. An "attacker of people" is already posing a threat and I have no choice but to assume any "questionable" actions are increasing the threat to myself or others and I must act quicker to protect us from the criminal. I know I am a good person and won't harm others if it can be avoided. But I know the criminal is not a good person and I cannot trust him to avoid harming his victims so I will do whatever is required to end the threat to me and others.

No life can be replaced, they can only be protected. If it comes down to a choice between protecting the victims and protecting the criminals, I will always protect the victims.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left my 15 yr old Stumpjumper outside last nigt, unlocked. It isn't the greatest, but I like it a lot. I was happy to see it still there this morning! Any kid could have taken it, but I'm lucky to live in a place with low crime. So thanks, thieves, for not taking my bike.

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
Junkies have been breaking into my old house in Worcester, MA while I've been trying to rehab it. It's been hard to stay ahead of them -- latest is the replacement copper plumbing being stolen.

The police weren't too interested when I told him that I knew the name of someone who had been breaking in -- found cell phone and patient ID card.
Since the police won't do anything about it, I've been thinking of what to do. I agree with oldgrandpajack
"Thou shalt not kill" though I'm having a little trouble with "Love they neighbor" since someone in the neighborhood stole the plumbing (the plumbers truck in front of the house was their tipoff).
My conclusion: take the guy to small claims court, perhaps for several claims at $2000 each. If he was arrested not much would happen. But, a civil judgement against him could haunt him for years.
More immediately, I'm trying to follow NAW's advice and increase security. That's partly why I'm back to CPF after a long absence (I was Walter here in the early 21st century).
Walter (aka snowleopard)

NAW

Enlightened
snowleopard said:
More immediately, I'm trying to follow NAW's advice and increase security.

:twothumbs

My parents at a time were quite afraid of being burglarized. Before we used to put in alarms on the doors (they were very loud) but after a while they decided it was a hassle. They also used to leave the lights on at our house whenever we are going to leave the house at nighttime. They believed it would give the thief the impression people are home and the house is active. Now before bed we make sure the doors AND windows are locked and even a door inside the house locked( if they get throught the first locked door they got another one to deal with)

I can't say that what we did worked. A next door neighboor was burglarized. Maybe our simple prevention techniques work for us? Who knows...

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldgrandpajack said:
My take on this; nothing in my home is worth taking the life of anyone. All life is precious, and even the thief may someday wake up, and change his life. I leave judgement to the courts and God. I would call 911 regardless, and I would defend my family, if I felt they were threatened. Things can be replaced. Lives, once gone, can't be.

oldgrandpajack

I agree wholeheartedly.

Stuff, is stuff. ALL stuff breaks, depreciates, ends up lost , stolen , or left behind as valueless, it's just a matter of time before that attachment ends or fades. Why let stuff that eventually means nothing contaminate a mind with malice?

I've had things stolen and it really sucks but the actual part that sucks is the delay between accepting it and dealing with it and then the act of reliving it.

BTW, addiction really is a living hell.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Addiction is no doubt a living hell. It would be nice if we could wave a magic wand and make it go away.

But until we find the wand, we often seem to make things worse. It seems that most crime associated with drugs isn't inherently a problem with drugs but is caused by making drugs illegal. This makes drugs very expensive and results in huge profits for those that engage in the drug business. As these people aren't exactly pillars of society, they will commit any act of violence to stay in business.

The end result seems to be more harm to society than would be the case if drugs were legal. Not just our society, but also it is devastating to the countries where the drugs are produced.

America went through this once before when it made alcohol illegal. That didn't get rid of alcohol or alcoholism, but it did create a lot of crime.

Latest posts