Things I've learned the hard way . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLight

Enlightened
Re: Things I\'ve learned the hard way . . .

The quick and easy path is always mined.

The only thing more accurate then incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire!

Never listen to someone who says their dog doesnt bite! Sure,it doesnt bite them!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DarkLight said:
Never listen to someone who says their dog doesnt bite! Sure,it doesnt bite them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it may not be their dog (nod to Monty Python)

Rudi

Enlightened

This thread started with:

1. Measure twice, cut once (too important to leave off any list).

This slogan has often failed me, so I modified it for better results:

Think three times before measuring twice to cut once.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. that dodgy switch on your super bright mod will always work when your looking down the business end
2. its your fault when people blind themselves with your surefire - after being warned
3. always have a backup, or two, or three (goes and checks work bag) or 7

MoonRise

Enlightened

You can never have too many clamps.

Use the right tools for the job. A torque wrench is not a hammer. A scalpel is not a machete. etc, etc, etc...

Good, cheap, fast. Pick two, if you're lucky you'll get two but sometimes only get one. You will never get all three.

Life is too short for ugly.

Think.

DrJ

Enlightened

It would have been better to keep that boatload of Intel stock that you once had, (a long, long time ago), rather than blowing it all on an expensive fast red Italian sports car, (that's was always broken anyway)....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Always look CAREFULLY before reaching for a soldering iron...ouch!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Don't leave bottles of pop in an unheated sun porch in the wintertime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
Once you turn a load of laundry pink there's no turning it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif My spouse gave me the gift of pink socks a couple of weeks ago. You're right, they're gonna be pink forever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

A coke will stay cold a long time in a glass lined thermos bottle.

A glass lined thermos bottle filled with coke will shatter if shaken.

A glass lined thermos bottle hidden in the sleeve of your coat will shake as you walk and swing your arms.

Experience is not the best teacher. Watching your big brother get whupped with a big belt is much, much more instructive.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
A glass lined thermos bottle hidden in the sleeve of your coat will shake as you walk and swing your arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

UH-oh. Did this happen to you?!!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

[/ QUOTE ]

UH-oh. Did this happen to you?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yes, that's why it's called learning "the hard way". I was not allowed to have soft-drinks with lunch, so I smuggled it out of the house. I was 1/2 way to the bus when it shattered. The glass thermos liner was in a sheet metal canister, so I did not get cut. I did get 12 ounces of ice cold soda-pop sprayed down my arm. It was a long, long day at school.

I guess I owe a fresh "learning".

Never-Ever-EVER yell "that didn't hurt" at your dad as he puts his belt back on.

Daniel

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
Never-Ever-EVER yell "that didn't hurt" at your dad as he puts his belt back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif True!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I get the feeling Baker already knew that one about the belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My older brothers taught me many valuable lessons.

The most important? Listen VERY carefully!!!

Example:
"Hey, Dan. I'll give you a dime for every quarter you can stand on edge" I stood a quarter on edge, he scooped it up and gave me a dime for it. I was up to 20 cents before I caught on.

Example:
"You better take off your shoes and socks before you do that!"
"Why?" I asked.
"You'll get shocked"

So I took off my shoes and socks and grabbed the electric guitar. He was right, I got shocked.

Example:
"Don't do that. Dad'll give you a licken".
I didn't do it. Sure enough, I got the licken. I told dad it didn't hurt. I learned some more.

My brothers didn't lie, but they were awful mean while they told the truth.

Daniel

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
I get the feeling Baker already knew that one about the belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Life is too short for crap tools. Avoid compromises, they will always come back to bite you when it hurts most. To those waffling about buying Surefire lights, hurry up and buy them.

Just buy the best and never look back.

Ignore how thin your wallet is after the above.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
"You better take off your shoes and socks before you do that!"
"Why?" I asked.
"You'll get shocked"

So I took off my shoes and socks and grabbed the electric guitar. He was right, I got shocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Oh man, you had some mean brothers!

Somebody told me I was gullible. I believed him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

A little off topic but more to come that is...

1). Pink clothes that didn't start out pink MIGHT be salvageable. Rit makes a product that removes colors -- use it only, repeat, only as directed. Probably find it in the laundry product section of your grocery market. Rit makes dyes, so they should know. BTW, do not, repeat, do not wash the product before you try the color/tint remover. Sorry I cannot remember the exact name of the stuff.

2). A few years ago while working in the frozen foods section of my store, one of the guys who works there pointed out a 6-pack of cans of soda that had been left in one of the frozen food cases. The cases are called coffin cases since they are about 3 feet wide and 6 feet long, and they have no top (how does it work? Frigid air is circulated over the top). Anywho... I looked at the 6-pack, stepped back, and counted backwards from ten, out loud. When I hit zero... POP! (pardon the pun). It sprayed chunks of frozen soda over a 15 foot radius. Did I mention that I have this psychic thing that works once in a while? My wife says psycho, but she's only right about half the time. OK. Two-thirds, but that's my final offer.

Meanwhile, back on topic...

Even in the middle of the night, during a high speed car rally, in the middle of a very isolated section of a forrest, even if it is hidden, if you leave something lying around someone will steal it. More details to come in another thread (I did not have the happiest weekend).

Status
Not open for further replies.