Thinking of buying an Arc AAA

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
I've considered buying one of the Arc AAA lights for a good while now, and I'd like to know if they are still considered good for keychain carry. I've been carrying a Photon 3 as EDC for years now, which I really like too. Are there any alternatives as good as the Arc AAA? I've seen the Infinity lights, but I've been less than impressed. Also, who makes a Kydex(or Concealex) scabbard/sheath to carry the Arc AAA on a keychain? Thanks in advance! BTW, I'm thinking of getting the hand picked "high end" version.

JK

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
The Infinity lights are very nice but in my opinion only if you go with the Ultra-G.It is larger but the beam quality is incredible and for the cost it is perfect.
I was also like you and debated for months over the AAA Arc purchase.I gave in and now own several Arc products.
I was amazed at the small size of the AAA model as you really do not realize by pics just how small it is.
I am impressed over all with Arc products but the AAA models have had some recent problems.
I will continue to purchase Arc lights but will wait until the new version of the AAA appears.
I also carried a Photon for years and these are a great light but the cool factor of the Arc just cant be beat.
Be warned that Arc is addicting and you will have to own more if you give in.They really do make a great light.
Not much to choose from as far as competitors in the AAA size category.The Dorcy makes a great light at only 6 dollars and I also recommend this light.
It does not have the features of the Arc and is larger but all in all a great light.
I say go ahead and get the ARC but they are not available as of yet.Be aware they will go quick so keep checking the site.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey jediknife, big shout out and welcome to CPF!

Robocop's right, there's not much competition for the Arc-AAA. The Dorcy (found at walmart and soon at target) has a much larger head (but is cheap), and the Sonic from Infinity looks weird and has the LED recessed, narrowing the spill. If anything, the Photon 3 is what I might consider EDCing with keys.

The ArcAAA is so small, it's like just another key on your chain (ok, a fat round one that's hard anodized). If you don't want to wait, I got my Arc AAA turquoise from pocketlights, and david also has the orange AAA in stock, too. The turquoise (actually, it's green) is the brightest Arc AAA, but it's downside is that you lose some color rendition by not having a white LED. Speaking of white, there's little difference between the standard and the premium AAA.

If you are willing to go to AA (not so easy to put on a keychain), both the Arc AA and the Ultra are nice. The Arc AA stands on it's tail as a room light, the Infinity doesn't, but at $14.50 from CountyComm the Ultra-G is a great deal. Any of these would work on a neck lanyard, too.

If you search the forums, you'll see many discussions on these torches in comparison to each other, with beamshots too, to help you make a decision. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Arcs. In a month, I went from 0 to 5 Arcs. Like Robocop says, it's addicting! I must add, impoverishing, too!

welcome again,
daloosh

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF JediKnife. I can't imagine anyone being dissapointed with an Arc AAA. I got four standards soon after joining here, kept the one with the beam I most prefered and gave the others away at Christmas. Now I have a turquoise and UV aaa on order, probably to be followed by this years CPF edition aaa. Get one (or more) and I guarantee you won't be dissapointed, they are still the Rolls Royce of keychain lights as far as I'm concerned.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ArcAAA is a very, very nice light and about as small as a single AAA battery light can get.

However compared to a coin celled LED light like the Photons, Inovas of this world it is "large" on the keyring. A bit too big for my keyring - so, for me, I would carry it just in pocket on its own.

There's where the rub is. The ArcAAA is too big on the keyring, but too small for in-pocket carry - for me (YMMV).

So I ended up still having a Photon on the keyring (since it's almost not there) and, at first, an Ultra-G in the other pocket, but now a Dorcy 1AAA as my EDCs (note the Photon 2 is a Yellow to serve a different purpose to the white LED pocket light(s))

the photo of Sizes speaks for itself -
sizes_S.jpg

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, but to be honest I was a registered member (same name) from way back, but I guess somehow during a UBB update my old registration info got deleted.
Robocop, a couple of questions for you: [ QUOTE ]
I am impressed over all with Arc products but the AAA models have had some recent problems.

[/ QUOTE ] What sort of problems?
[ QUOTE ]
I say go ahead and get the ARC but they are not available as of yet.

[/ QUOTE ] They aren't? The only thing I gathered from their website is a 2-4 week wait on them. Is there some new model coming out, and if so, where can I find more about the new model ArcAAA as opposed to the "old" one? Thanks again!

Peggsy:[ QUOTE ]
Now I have a turquoise and UV aaa on order, probably to be followed by this years CPF edition aaa.

[/ QUOTE ] Is the CPF edition still available for preorder or whatever?

Vincent, thanks for the pic!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Check the Arc forum on here and you will see a lot of info. on the recent problems.Minor thing with the AAA models not always activating when you turn the head.It is some kind of problem with the new circuit.Arc is working on a fix and has since pulled all the AAAs from stock.
It seems that is was only one run of many AAAs that was effected as only the newer AAAs have this problem.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was comparing my older Arc AAA LE (around the body engraving) to a new one I gave a friend with the horizontal engraving (standard.)

Her Arc AAA std. was brighter than mine, noticably.

Her Arc AAA also had a angry blue tint to it. Mine has a whiter/softer glow (not blue, more of a tint of yellow/light green on the outside edges.) The color between the two is really noticable when comparing side to side.

In eveyrday use, I doubt you'll notice it though.

Is $10 really worth it to some people for a warmer tint? Obviously yes because I have one and many others.

I don't even notice my Arc AAA hanging on my neck anymore right next to my dog tags. At first it was a little heavier, but now it just blends right in.

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Check the Arc forum

[/ QUOTE ]...

Duh, now I see it! I didn't even know there was a dedicated Arc forum. I still welcome any more comments or follow ups, although in the future I will try the Arc forum first. Thanks!

puyo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
but at $14.50 from CountyComm the Ultra-G is a great deal. Any of these would work on a neck lanyard, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what? I see $18.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I really the first to make the comment "Get Both!" ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You're gonna hear that a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The infinity from countycomm is a greatlight. I highly recommend it. But it's not an either/or thing for the Arc. The Infinity is just too big to keychain carry. You need an arcAAA on your chain and an Infinity in your kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (at least one, I have a couple of all those lights now)

The longer runtime that the AA in the Infinity gives you is great, the ability to use a AA which may be easier to find in an emergency or just because everything else you own uses AA's is great. But it's not of any use at all if you left it at home cause your jeans pocket isn't big enough! So get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

popsgee

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC AAA on my keyring on a carabiner attached to a belt loop and don't notice it. I had an Infinity Ultra on the same setup and it was noticeable. It's a tough choice. the Ultra has longer run time and is cheaper, but the AAA is smaller.

14C

Enlightened
I have an Arc AAA LE that I carry attached to the small swiss army knife (I forget the model - it has a blade, file, scissors, tweezers and toothpick) by the lanyard and split rings that come with the knife. This combo has saved my bacon many times. I never leave home without it. I used to have a Mag Solitaire same setup that I carried for years....then I found the Arc AAA and there is no going back.

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
14.50 for the Ultra-G is a great price. So temped...even added it to my cart and checked out. To bad shipping and tax brings it up to $21.50...kills the deal.

I guess I'll wait for my Dorcy AAA and AA.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the ARC....In my opinion its as good as it gets. I like the AA model as well, much smaller and lighter then the CGM...and alot classier too.

LEDMANIA

Newly Enlightened
I use my arc AAA PE as a pendant on my necklace and it's quite small to be notice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifVery usefull as EDC..:)