Thread-Locking Product

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When looking for this, remember thet the colors aren't guaranteed for anything but the Loctite brand, Permatex (possibly made by Loctite) also uses the same color coding, but there is no gurantee that any others do. Make sure to read the package to make sure it's the strength you want.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
...snip...My question is how much time do i have after screwing the thing on before it locks? Is it like crazy glue or do I have a few minutes to play with it and get it just right before it glues it tight?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The "interesting" part about locktite is that it will NOT dry at all (well, maybe YEARS) before you tighten the screws

The Technical term for Loctite is "anaerobic thread locking compound" It doesn't cure until there is a lack a air (and some metallic ions)

One of the big breakthroughs that allowed the shipping of Loctite was the invention of a plastic that passed air, but not liquid

Another interesting factoid is that even though it has an expiration date on the bottle, it does NOT go bad. The date is on the bottle to satisfy the military, who requires chemicals to have an expiration date (No later than 5 years after mfg if I remember right) If you find an OLD bottle, you will actually find that the loctite does eventually ooze through the pores of the plastic, and you get a sticky bottle!

The stuff is also non toxic

Call Loctite - their sales guys are really helpful (or at least were 15 years ago when I had to find out all about this stuff)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
RE Loctite and plastic

I believe they now make one for plastic, but it usually has some problems curing. The make a "primer" that you can use

BTW The curing problem also happens on passivated stainless - not enough ions floating around, so you have to provide some

BTW The stuff is a modified sugar!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Am I correct in thinking this is the correct one I want to get?

01-24200.gif

Tomas

Banned
Sure looks like it, Nascar. The tube is a different color than my old one, but it is BLUE Loctite and has a number 242 in the lower right corner of the package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Blue should work fine. The purple stuff I use is Loctite #222, which is about half the strength of blue. For screws smaller than #10, though, I'd use purple.

Bill.H

Enlightened
For those times when you don't have (or can't find in the messy excuse for a workshop) the proper Loctite, you can improvise. Krazy glue works great if you don't plan on ever taking it apart. A dab of silicone rubber caulk or hot melt glue on the threads after tightening is good if you might take it apart later (not on tiny screws). For 1/4" and larger, just grab a cold chisel, punch, or center punch and mash a few threads lightly - best for things that vibrate.
Of course, if you have the right product, that's always best, but it's not always convenient or even possible

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard of putting a dab of nailpolish on small screws for a temp job when there's nothing else.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i used some blue loctite to secure the head on my brinkmann 3aa jimbopill...

man, that stuff is tough! i can't get the head off by hand now...

Tomas

Banned
Not supposed to be able to, Rothrandir, should require tools (strap wrench, for example). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

glad to know i'm not a weakling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
er...oops...

i totally washed the thing...i put about oh...maybe 10drops on and decided that might not be enough...then i put about 10 more on...

that too much? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
How much to use depends on the tolerance of the threads, how loose or how tight the fit is.

I have a Brinkmann 2AA that I put one drop on early this morning. After it dried I gave the head a twist and it broke loose too easily. The head is a very loose fit on the body.

I then tried it with 3 drops and at the moment I'm in the middle of a 6 hour cure time so I haven't tried it yet.

But yeah, if you can't break loose the blue stuff with you hands (especially a Brinkmann light with rubber grips) you used a little too much.

Willmore

Enlightened
How about the opposite question? How to seperate two parts joined with some kind of thread locking compound--we'll assume the Loctite type, not cyanoacrilate, etc.? Heat it? Water? Some solvent? Would seem that vibration is right out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let's assume that someone else put something on and didn't want you to take it off-so they used red or worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ooops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

lets just hope that it never needs to come off then...

willmore, i think you heat it.

Willmore

Enlightened
How much? Warm hand? Hair dryer? Hot air gun? Propane torch? Acetline torch?

Might be important. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If the contenct of the container can't take the heat, then this isn't the way to get in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif