Thrunite TN36 (3xMK-R, 4x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for another great review, I am interested in this light. I am glad Thrunite is offering a neutral white version.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this light have a tripod mount ? It does not apear too, which would be a shame, it can be used for so many things if so

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah man it should be standard on all high output flood lights !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ah man it should be standard on all high output flood lights !
Yes, that is good feedback. I know Thrunite monitors these threads, so hopefully they will take that into account. I know they are planning to do something about the lack of lanyard holes on the TN4A and TN36. We'll see ...

Capolini

Banned
These sold like hot cakes on Illumns!!! This afternoon they had 10[That was all they acquired] because of the difficulty and lack of production at the moment.

I checked an hour ago and 2 was all that remained,,,,,,,,,,I got one of them! 20 minutes later the last one was gone!

I can imagine how hot this gets with ALL the power of those LED's

However, tail standing inside w/ out a fan is totally different than using the light outside,,,especially this time of the year. Between the colder temps and my hand as a natural heat sink, I think I will be able to run it for a decent amount of time.So, at least until May or June [I will soon find out] I think I will be fine.:cool:

Capolini

Banned
I just got it an hour ago! It lit up my whole room! I can't wait until it gets dark!

I keep forgetting the pictures of these lights always make them look bigger! This thing is so pleasantly petite! I am doing run time tests now. It was able to tail stand 5 minutes on turbo @ 60F/15.5C before it got to hot. So I am going to do 5 minute increments and see if I get ~40/45 minutes of turbo like I have seen on SB and others reviews!

I think I am going to like my only flood monster! :twothumbs

Capolini

Banned
I did notice this on the positive contact of my battery carrier. At first I thought it was cracked[all the way through] and then got a magnifying glass and saw that it was a Gouge or "Groove". No worries just found it a bit strange!

TN36%20001_zpsxgz54ldr.jpg

Capolini

Banned
ok,it is me again! Just got back from my hike w/ Capo that normally takes 1h 20m. Tonight it took 1h 45m because of 5" of wet snow!

This plays a part in where SB or anyone else can help! May as well start here. Because of the extended hike I used the light longer than I thought and realized! I went to turn it down from turbo and noticed the LED indicator was out! I do not recall ever seeing it blink or turn RED! At this point the Blue LED light only worked on L/M/H. When I put it to turbo the indicator shut off and would NOT come back on until I twisted the head[locked it out] and then tightened again. Even then it was inconsistent operating on L/M/H. I think that may be related to the voltage as it was 3.34v when I got home! I put fresh batteries in and the indicator worked in every mode BUT moonlight.

I am assuming it does not work in moonlight? I watched SB's video closely and his thumb was in the way and I could not see when he demonstrated Moonlight mode!! I am just curious thats all.That is not really important but the LED low voltage indicator can be important!

Anyway,,,,,,not sure why I never saw a RED light or blinking light when the batteries got low.Why was there no light on at all?? I think it may be some malfunction UNLESS it is suppose to go OFF instead of turning Red but I doubt that.

It is kind of ironic because I am one who NEVER relies on any low battery voltage/indicator because I know my lights and their run times so well! Tonight w/ an extended walk in the snow w/ a new light I needed it!

CAN ANYBODY VERIFY HOW IT IS SUPPOSE TO WORK?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Save the best for last!

Now to light! I will always favor throwers but,,,,,,,,I really liked this compact, petite, powerful lumen monster that has a very soft, diffused and beautiful tint.The UI is simple and easy to use and it is not bulky to carry.

I was happy that I did not blind Capo! That was a concern of mine after looking at amaretto's photos! Simply just change the angle a little bit and being that it is such diffused light it is not a concentrated beam like my throwers! Speaking of throwers I brought one of my secondary lights, my TK35vn which is 1000 lumens and 95Kcd. At one point for about 5 minutes I combined them,a tag team if you will! Plenty of peripheral light and could see down the trail for 300 or 400 yards!

I had 3 lights similar to this and sent them back. They were all ~ 2500 lumens max. Because this has so much more light I can identify things from 80 yards away. With those maybe 30 yards,they lit up the area right in front of me but that was about it. There is a difference between identifying something and just knowing something is there!

I know this light seems to have a waiting list. I would say stay patient and get it because you will like it!

I can not forget this. With a balmy temp of 33F/.5556C[!] I was able to run it on turbo, bare handed for 12 minutes before it started getting hot. I did that twice after letting it cool down. ;) NIGHT TEMPS IN SINGLE DIGITS NEXT WEEK,COULD PROBABLY RUN IT 25 MINUTES!:cool:

THANKS FOR LETTING ME RAMBLE!!!!!

Last edited:

BWX

Enlightened
I wonder when companies are going to start integrating tiny DC fans into the design so that if needed, you could actually run the thing on turbo for extended amount of time, even on a hot day/night? I can think off the top of my head some interesting ways to mount a 25 x 25 x 6 mm or smaller fan into the body or head of the light, or maybe a bigger one running slower for less noise, or hide it under an aluminum compartment or mount it on the end and use a heat-pipe or something.

There is really no alternative as heat becomes more of an issue.

Capolini

Banned
I wonder when companies are going to start integrating tiny DC fans into the design so that if needed, you could actually run the thing on turbo for extended amount of time, even on a hot day/night? I can think off the top of my head some interesting ways to mount a 25 x 25 x 6 mm or smaller fan into the body or head of the light, or maybe a bigger one running slower for less noise, or hide it under an aluminum compartment or mount it on the end and use a heat-pipe or something.

There is really no alternative as heat becomes more of an issue.

I understand what your saying. With this light being so small and so powerful I really do not know what could be done. Your idea[cooling] is actually coming to fruition by the simple act of nature this time of the year.

In the summer I can't see running this on turbo more than 3 or 4 minutes unless you have oven mitts on!

Do u live near Lake Placid? I have been there many times. A few years ago it was -19,night before it was -7 and I took capo my Siberian for an hour walk in the mountains,,,,,,,,,,HEAT was not an issue for my TK75vn!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for another great review! Man this light is a monster. In another iteration or two I might have to pick up a more monster floodlight to go with my TM06vn. :) For now I will try to remain content though haha.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I went to turn it down from turbo and noticed the LED indicator was out! I do not recall ever seeing it blink or turn RED! At this point the Blue LED light only worked on L/M/H. When I put it to turbo the indicator shut off and would NOT come back on until I twisted the head[locked it out] and then tightened again. Even then it was inconsistent operating on L/M/H. I think that may be related to the voltage as it was 3.34v when I got home! I put fresh batteries in and the indicator worked in every mode BUT moonlight.
Just double-checked, and the switch indicator light goes constant red (from constant blue) at the same time as the Turbo output drops ~15% (i.e., near the end of the Turbo run). On my Samsung INR 20R cells, the resting voltage was ~3.43V at the point the switch first turned red. Note that on those cells, you have less than 2 mins on Turbo before the light shuts off (with resting voltages ~2.7V).

The red LED is not very bright, so is it possible you just didn't see it? If not, maybe the red LED is not working on your sample?

Capolini

Banned
Just double-checked, and the switch indicator light goes constant red (from constant blue) at the same time as the Turbo output drops ~15% (i.e., near the end of the Turbo run). On my Samsung INR 20R cells, the resting voltage was ~3.43V at the point the switch first turned red. Note that on those cells, you have less than 2 mins on Turbo before the light shuts off (with resting voltages ~2.7V).

The red LED is not very bright, so is it possible you just didn't see it? If not, maybe the red LED is not working on your sample?
Thanks for testing again. Once the Blue LED was off there was nothing,no faint RED or any illumination. It must not be working properly.