Thrunite TN42

Capolini

Banned
Cool white = more power, more efficiency, white beam, not yellow.

I will pose a question here. How could cool white have more output and be more efficient at the same time? Anything is possible but that does not make sense to me!

Like anything else tint is a matter of preference. I started off liking cool white because that is all I knew,,,today I prefer the warmer tints by far......easier on the eyes, makes the landscape more natural. I have over 15 modded lights and they are all warmer,,closer to neutral than cool white. As far as the output goes it really is not that noticeable b/w the Two. What makes the cool white look brighter is just that,,it is white instead of an amber type tint!

I still have a few cool white lights and they remind me of a spot light type tint,too white for me!:)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or you could say: neutral white = white beam, not bluish.
Cool white may alone be perceived as white, but as soon you compare to a warmer tint it looks bluish. In the same way neutral is alone perceived as white but compared to cool tint it may look yellowish.The small gain of output with cool white compared to neutral white does not weigh up against the better color rendition and eye comfortability of the neutral white. But that's just my personal opinion.

Edit: I consider neutral white as ~5000K. While 4000K(often called neutral) actually is warm and yellowish, 5000K is not. Everything between 4000-5000K is great though, nothing wrong with a nice yellowish tint.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
I will pose a question here. How could cool white have more output and be more efficient at the same time? Anything is possible but that does not make sense to me!

I guess as an example, if you look at each time Cree releases a Brighter led bin [ eg xml2 u3 - u4 ] they are more efficient because they require less current at the same lumen level.

Take for example the fact that a zebra mk111 w can only produce 1150 lumens for the same amount time and current draw that the zebralight sc600 mk111 CW at 1300 lumens.

When i first joined this forum i bought many neutral/warm lights at the advice of others, but after a while, i found they make anything coloured white, cars, walls, sand etc look un natural. I really like the premium cw 1D tints in xpg2 xml2 and xpl and i have slowly changed back any led that is unsightly yellow, brown or nichia pink.

I agree totally tint is personal preference never seen a white neutral only yellow.

Last edited:

xtibi

Newly Enlightened
I guess as an example, if you look at each time Cree releases a Brighter led bin [ eg xml2 u3 - u4 ] they are more efficient because they require less current at the same lumen level.

Take for example the fact that a zebra mk111 w can only produce 1150 lumens for the same amount time and current draw that the zebralight sc600 mk111 CW at 1300 lumens.

When i first joined this forum i bought many neutral/warm lights at the advice of others, but after a while, i found they make anything coloured white, cars, walls, sand etc look un natural. I really like the premium cw 1D tints in xpg2 xml2 and xpl and i have slowly changed back any led that is unsightly yellow, brown or nichia pink.

I agree totally tint is personal preference never seen a white neutral only yellow.
Swan, entirely agree with you. [emoji1]
I tried and tried many times NW beam, but not for me. Indors, I like only 2700-3000 Kelvin with hi CRI, but outdoors is another story.
I bought two weeks ago one Armytek Wizard headlamp warm white HI CRI. It's on the way. This is final try for me, I guess. [emoji6]

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
...nor green. :)

Some of all this is objective science, some of this is subjective. Cool white looks brighter. Hint of green looks a lot better outdoors, on foliage, than indoors.

NW lights make my CW look blue, and CW makes my NW lights look a hint of red.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
We got a TN42 for reviews and passaround in another forum, perhaps you are interested in runtimes on turbo:
laufzeitturbo26rjle.jpg
minutes

beamshotcomparison to Acebeam K70, distance is 650 meters.
70mmmgl15.gif

Capolini

Banned
^^^^^ Thanks

The spill/flood looks to be slightly brighter on the K70. I am guessing that the hot spot is a bit more on the TN42?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K70 has already been out for ~6 months...and that's the best Thrunite could do?

Glad I didn't pre-order the TN42.

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
What a fickle bunch. TN42 looks like a good bit higher intensity from that beam shot than the Acebeam.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
Of course the K70 has a brighter spill because it has more lumens than TN42.
K70 = 2600 lm
TN42 = 2000 lm

But i measured 507.500 cd (K70) against 682.500 cd (TN42)

The TN42 only draws 2.2 A from the batteries.

Capolini

Banned
K70 = 2600 lm
TN42 = 2000 lm

Capolini says: This post won't quote! Tried it twice.

Ok,,,,,,,,thanks. I was NOT up on the specs of the K70!!! I was simply observing from a visual perspective.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
K70 = 2600 lm
TN42 = 2000 lm

The brighter spill of the K70 is more likely a result of reflector design vs. the 600 lumens.

Isn't the 2.2A about the same draw as the K70?

Looking forward to reading more from you guys over @ taschenlampen-forum.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
im digging that runtime graph!!! all the more excited to see what vinh can push out of this monster.

swan

Banned
K70 = 2600 lm
TN42 = 2000 lm

The TN42 only draws 2.2 A from the batteries.

Thanks amaretto for your beamshots, runtime and measurements.

The 175 000 extra candelas over the k70 is really noticeable on the target, as is the intense laser like extra long column of light = really impressive.

Its big head is certainly the key to its intensity and i am sure someone will put a XPG2 for over 1 000 000 candela before long.

Looks like Thrunite TN42 has taken over as the longest throwing led stock light and it will take something special and with a large reflector to knock this new current king of intensity off its thrown.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
There will be two versions of the light, one with battery pack and the other (i tested) with battery carrier. Shorter unprotected cells fit as well as longer protected cells.
Because of the (only) 2.2 amps on turbo high current cells are not neccessary.

Luminater

Newly Enlightened
There will be two versions of the light, one with battery pack and the other (i tested) with battery carrier. Shorter unprotected cells fit as well as longer protected cells.
Because of the (only) 2.2 amps on turbo high current cells are not neccessary.

2.2A 8.4V so Power to LED is about 18W ?