Thrunite TN42

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Thrunite usually under rate their torches.

TN36UT flood king, TN40 throw/spill king, TN42 throw king..... Clean sweep imo.

If they did underrate it it doesn't leave much room for modding. Vinh Didn't get much more out of the k70 probably not much performance gain left in the TN42 either.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my TN42 yesterday, very impressive light. I measured the following...

Firefly at 1.28 lumens
Low at 56.17 lumens
Med at 337.07 lumens
High at 1010.85 lumens
Turbo at 2463.30 lumens

Lux at 702.5Kcd for 1676.31M throw. Tonight I tested it at one mile, my wife downrange with a sheet of paper. She could easily read the paper at a mile by the light of the TN42. Dark night, threatening storms, heavy clouds.

I have the non-rechargeable and it's loaded with 4 Samsung 30Q cells.

Exceptional light, for sure!

An interesting factoid. The sample pass around light pictured at Taschenlampen is serial number 2. The text is on the ramped section of the head. My light has the RoHS label and is serial number 2, with text on the bezel. Apparently a few changes were made to the production lights. I am not complaining, not one little bit, as it's the most throw from a factory light I've ever seen by quite a margin.

Very impressive numbers indeed! Thanks for the input and cool idea to test it out in the field with a newspaper. [emoji106]

mjgsxr

Enlightened
Vinh doubled the power of the 36 and nearly quadrupled one of his 40's (spec 3), if he can double the 42 then 4000+ lumens!

Btw I don't own it but the K60 beamshots always look stunning.

The TN42 led is already driven pretty hard at 2500 lumens. I am no expert but I read about 3000 lumens is the max output of the XHP35 HI, still will be interesting to see what vinh can do.

On a side note my TK61vn still out throws my K70vn with a NW XHP35 HI led.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam pics are courtesy of our friends over at taschenlampen.

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/beamshots-von-pocket-throwern-eagtac-sx30c2-bis-zu-den-großen-tüten-thrunite-tn42.51004/#post-697886

K70_zps94oudvqx.jpg

TN42_zpsttskqzwh.jpg

Last edited:

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
Well, i broke down and ordered a NW version on amazon just now and shoukd have it friday. Now i just need the tn40 to have the set, tn36, tn40, tn42

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
What batteries should i get, protected or unprotected? 2900mah is cheaper in protected but am i better off with some 3400-3500mah?

thanks

mjgsxr

Enlightened
I always like a unprotected button top cell. This leaves them a bit easier to get in and out of battery carriers in any light. This also means I can use the in my high drain lights as well.

Samsung 30Q 3000mah is one of my favourite but Lg has some 3500mah cell now good for 10amps

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
I just ordered the sanyo/panasonic NCR18650GA 3500 mah protected as i lind of like protected in lights that aren't modded. Hopefully they be here by saterday.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately there is seldom information of how much ampere a certain battery is able to provide. Are protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells good for this light? Or protected Eagletac 3400mAh?

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Yeah, so... got my TN42 yesterday, and pure and simple, it has my Acebeam K70 beat by at least the same margin that the K70 beat my Olight SR95S-UT.

Well worth the coin. I wish I could do pictures to share (but I can't... sorry!), but it's a clear victory for the TN42.

P.S. - Keep your eye on the market place here in the next day or 2 if you are interested in a very lightly used mint condition Acebeam K70 at a substantial discount!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, so... got my TN42 yesterday...

Since you've got both, do your samples appear in line with the photos in posts #64 and #88?

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/beamshots-von-pocket-throwern-eagtac-sx30c2-bis-zu-den-großen-tüten-thrunite-tn42.51004/#post-697886

Aside from the TN42 having a tad more spot and the K70 more spill, there doesn't seem to be much difference between them.

Several have said the TN42 is a lot bigger than they were hoping for (compared to the K70).

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Since you've got both, do your samples appear in line with the photos in posts #64 and #88?

Yes sir, I would say that the shots of the tower with the "112" on it are perfectly representative of what I saw out on my acreage last night. This is a really sweet light.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes sir, I would say that the shots of the tower with the "112" on it are perfectly representative of what I saw out on my acreage last night. This is a really sweet light.

Thank you, sir.

As much as I'd prefer a bit more spill, don't think I'll be able to resist getting one much longer.

Now that you have it in hand, how does the build quality [threads, machining, anodizing, reflector, etc.] compare to the K70?

How does the switch feel?

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
... how does the build quality [threads, machining, anodizing, reflector, etc.] compare to the K70?

How does the switch feel?

The build quality is very good but the switch is kind-of soft, just like my ThruNite TN36 which I'm not s big fan of... but it works (I prefer a positive "CLICK"). I also prefer being able to eliminate parasitic drain via a switch like on the K70, but unscrewing the body tube a bit on the TN42 works just as well, though be it less conveniently.

Cheers!
-John C.

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
Just got mine today and man this is a huge light. So far i like it and cant wait untill it gets dark, i got the neutral white version as i'm not a fan of cool white.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks John, appreciate the feedback.

Here is a nice video showing the TN42 in action.

geal

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine and i love it! This light is fantastic! Build quality is excellent and button on my sample is quite firm and "clicky". My only dissapointment so far is that i live in a crowded neighborhood with a smallish backyard and I'm trying to be considerate of my neighbors :sigh: I need to get to a park soon to really test this baby but damn this thing lights up trees down the block like i'm standing right next to them. To me though one of the things I'm most impressed with is the tint. I ordered the neutral and at first I thought i might have gotten a cool white. After comparing it to my Fenix TK-75 and Thrunite TN-35 I realized that it is just a really nice pure white...much more neutral/natural than the TK-75 (which doesn't have a bad tint at all) and similar to MT-G2 in TN-35. I actually thinks it's a little more natural white than the 35 :drool:

Pic is on high not turbo and shows mostly spill which is amazingly consistent in tint throughout.
s

Last edited: