Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ah peak beam intensity 52340cd. Sounds good especially since it has some spill.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
The stamp on mine is 15 01 MR...(01 mars 2015) made in Japan. Bought on september from Ncix. Keep posted with the one from Amazon.

The Eneloop Pro's came in. They have the 2014 specifications, 2014 model number, and 2014 packaging, they have"15-02 RX" engraved on the side which means they were made in February 2015. They have the 2014 specification (min 2,450 mAh) listed right on the actual battery, not just the packaging. Maximum mAh is the same (2,550). The newest 2015 ones have min 2,500 mAh, which is where the main difference seems to be (50 mAh more). You can see more in this PDF:

http://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/pdf/99152100_ENG_eneloopCat_2015_LR.pdf

So, I got 2014 spec eneloop pro's it looks like, not that I will probably ever know the difference.

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
The Eneloop Pro's came in. They have the 2014 specifications, 2014 model number, and 2014 packaging, they have"15-02 RX" engraved on the side which means they were made in February 2015. They have the 2014 specification (min 2,450 mAh) listed right on the actual battery, not just the packaging. Maximum mAh is the same (2,550). The newest 2015 ones have min 2,500 mAh, which is where the main difference seems to be (50 mAh more). You can see more in this PDF:

http://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/pdf/99152100_ENG_eneloopCat_2015_LR.pdf

So, I got 2014 spec eneloop pro's it looks like, not that I will probably ever know the difference.

NCIX seems to have newer stock than Amazon. Mine bought in september 2015 have the capacity "Up to 2550mah". 15 01 MR engrave on the cells. I will continue to buy cells from them. Thank you for your feedback.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
NCIX seems to have newer stock than Amazon. Mine bought in september 2015 have the capacity "Up to 2550mah". 15 01 MR engrave on the cells. I will continue to buy cells from them. Thank you for your feedback.

Both versions are "up to 2,550" though, it's just the minimum mAh that is different. What do your cells say for minimum charge? Should say right on the side like this "min.2450 mAh" or "min.2500 mAh" The 2500's are 2015, the 2450's are 2014.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Both versions are "up to 2,550" though, it's just the minimum mAh that is different. What do your cells say for minimum charge? Should say right on the side like this "min.2450 mAh" or "min.2500 mAh" The 2500's are 2015, the 2450's are 2014.

I don't have the package anymore. I bought 2 sets of 4 and a set of 4 plus charger. I have the package of the charger with the cells.

http://s19.postimg.org/lljaue7k3/image.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/qzmofomo3/image.jpg

Edit: on the cell: min 2450mah

http://s19.postimg.org/ubkz8zef7/image.jpg

The stamps of the other sets: 15 02 RX
15 02 RX

Last edited:

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the package anymore. I bought 2 sets of 4 and a set of 4 plus charger. I have the package of the charger with the cells.

http://s19.postimg.org/lljaue7k3/image.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/qzmofomo3/image.jpg

Edit: on the cell: min 2450mah

http://s19.postimg.org/ubkz8zef7/image.jpg

The stamps of the other sets: 15 02 RX
15 02 RX

Looks like you got the exact same batteries as me, even the same manufacture date. They are the 2014 version (based on specification). The only difference between them and the 2015 version as far as I can tell is packaging, and 50 mAh minimum capacity. Pretty much a non issue I would think.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Looks like you got the exact same batteries as me, even the same manufacture date. They are the 2014 version (based on specification). The only difference between them and the 2015 version as far as I can tell is packaging, and 50 mAh minimum capacity. Pretty much a non issue I would think.

Yes, we have the same. Mine were bought in september though. I don't know if NCIX has the 5th gen now.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
Yes, we have the same. Mine were bought in september though. I don't know if NCIX has the 5th gen now.

I checked a lot of places (NCIX, NewEgg, Amazon, Memory Express, Dell, etc.) and the true 2015's are pretty much impossible to find, looking at both the packaging and model numbers at various online retailers, everyone has the 2014 version. Even huge stores like B&H in New York don't have the true 2015 versions. Oh well!

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I checked a lot of places (NCIX, NewEgg, Amazon, Memory Express, Dell, etc.) and the true 2015's are pretty much impossible to find, looking at both the packaging and model numbers at various online retailers, everyone has the 2014 version. Even huge stores like B&H in New York don't have the true 2015 versions. Oh well!

I have 12 for my tn4a.... I'm ok for a longtime.... Probably until the future 6th gen...[emoji6]

POB10

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I replaced the rubber boot that came with the TN4A HI. There was a bunch of black paint chips(what it looks like) under the boot. Possibly from the factory. I cleaned the inside a bit with Qtips and replaced the switch with new boot etc.
it works better now but still have a hard time getting Moonlight and Turbo. I contacted them today. I will update when I hear from them. Hopefully nobody else has this issue but maybe this will help if you develop an issue down the road.
I absolutely Love this light but it has to function properly at all times.

Last edited:

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
I hope you have a better experience with their customer service than I did. I emailed them with a few extremely simple questions, and their replies were so vague and off base I'm pretty sure they didn't even bother to read my email at all. I tried a total of 5 times, and their responses didn't even attempt to address my questions. They couldn't answer simple questions about LED differences. I just gave up after that.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
Got my TN4A XPL V6 NW yesterday, which is my first "real" flashlight.

First impressions from a noob who has nothing to compare it too:
- Bright, but not as bright as I was expecting based on all the comments and YouTube videos I watched before purchasing.
- Color temperature is extremely warm on everything but High and Turbo (Low & medium are straight up yellow, probably closer to 2000K)
- Color reproduction on High & Turbo is excellent (I shined it on my Xrite Colorchecker Passport, various photo prints, etc.)
- The visible difference between 550 lumens (High) and 1150 lumens (Turbo) is shockingly small and nowhere near double (to my eye anyway), though I was just fooling around indoors
- Ideally I would have liked a color temperature around 4000-4400K but that was not an option with ThruNite. It's not bad at all though if you avoid the lowest settings. And that being said, if I was doing extended reading in the dark on low or firefly, I'd likely appreciate the warmer color.
- The spill outside the hot spot is enormous, fills up an entire room
- I will probably use it on High 90% of the time, which tells me I like around ~550 lumens minimum for most things
- Some manufacturing oil had to be wiped off after I took it apart to insert batteries, was not a fan of that

Overall for $60 (CDN) it seems like very high value, I love that it uses AA batteries (using brand new Eneloop Pro's), and I'm happy with the light itself but extremely disappointed by ThruNite customer service, they were completely useless even after multiple attempts to get very basic answers about their products - I can only imagine how difficult they will be if I have a warranty issue.

Also, their "limited lifetime" warranty is hilarious. The light comes with a little sheet of paper written in very poor English (why do so few companies consult with native English speakers prior to print? It would be as simple as sending an email...) explaining the warranty. It says you have lifetime warranty, but you have to pay for the repairs, and shipping LOL. So...you don't have any kind of lifetime warranty at all, because the "limitations" are that the customer pays for literally everything in the event of a warranty claim beyond the initial period.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Bright, but not as bright as I was expecting based on all the comments and YouTube videos I watched before purchasing.

The neutral or warmer light can often give the impression that it is not bright.

- The visible difference between 550 lumens (High) and 1150 lumens (Turbo) is shockingly small and nowhere near double (to my eye anyway), though I was just fooling around indoors

That's the human eye for you. Perception of bright is non linear

That said, I think the neutral is supposed to be around 4000K. Maybe they mistakenly put a warm in it. Would be a rare one if they did

dmattaponi

Enlightened
In contrast to CanadaLight2, my perception of the light was very different. Keep in mind that this is my first light with a brightness level over 220 lumens, but to my eye I could tell no difference in brightness between the NW and the CW, and I was very impressed with just how bright they both are. I also find the difference between 550 and 1150 to be very noticeable to my eye. That's not to discount CanadaLight2's opinion. Just sharing how my own perception of this light is different.

Last edited:

Mezz

Newly Enlightened
Can't believe what they can do with AA these days. As always, great review. Thanks

POB10

Newly Enlightened
Update on my warranty attempt. It took a few emails back and forth but I am getting a new TN4A HI shipped. Just waiting for a tracking #.
Make sure you keep your proof of purchase. Print out your receipt from Amazon or EBay etc. and keep it with the box or somewhere in case you need it. First thing they'll ask for. Hopefully nobody need it.
Cheers!

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
Took it outside and I must say I am more impressed, it's really bright and lit up things hundreds of meters away.

ThruNite told me (the only question they decided to answer of mine) that their Neutral White is *LESS* than 3000K (very warm), and their Cool white is *MORE* than 5000K, that's as specific as they could be. To me, Neutral white should be mid 4000K, but I knew it was on the warm side going in so I can't complain. The lower brightness modes are visibly warmer than High and Turbo.

POB10 - I'm amazed you got any reply from them at all. Glad you got it sorted out though. Also with Amazon, it keeps your purchase history for at least a few years, so you should always have access to proof of purchase.

Overall I'm very happy with it for the price. I love that it takes AA's.