Titanium Quarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zendude

Enlightened
Here let me help.:)

1. You don't have any Ti lights :)
2. You don't have any XP-G Cree lights(For sure)
3. This is a great deal for Ti

Is that enough or should I go on...:naughty:

NO MORE!....NO MORE! I CAN'T STAND IT! :hairpull:

OK it's justified.:paypal:for a tactical AA!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think he means the very quick flash at high brightness, aka pre-flash, when you turn the light on in a low mode.

I'd bet this is not fixed. I dunno for sure, but I get the impression that 47s does not make their own electronics, so they don't have much control to debug this. Which is a shame, because there's a bunch of other features that they could implement if they had control. Like:

1) Let us program sequences of modes, instead of just single modes, on the tactical head.

2) Provide several preset "profiles" (e.g. Medium-High-Max, High-Medium-Moonlight, etc) for different use cases, that you can select with some twisty/clicky programming sequence.

3) Let us change the behavior of a Regular head to Tactical, or vice versa, with some twisty/clicky programming sequence (actually, I'm very surprised that they don't already do this, so they could manufacture & stock just one Quark head :rolleyes:).

Wishful thinking. Maybe I'm wrong and they do make their own controllers, and they will do stuff like this. We'll see... :D

-Jeff

Yes thank-you. A communication problem I guess. I consider the "pre-flash" (not to be confused with any of the flash modes) to be a defect. I wonder if it will be corrected?

I think the bright momentary flash when using moonlight mode in pitch darkness is a bad thing. If there is ambient light present you probably wouldn't use moonlight mode so there is no need for a pre-flash to let you know the light is on. I've read many complaints about it. I see no description of it as a "good feature" of the light on the website.

I agree with your 3 points also (especially the first one)...just didn't think of them.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
A "defect" implies a mistake or deviation from the intended design, of which there is none. It is the nature of the circuit. If you want it gone, you sacrifice goobs of efficiency.

Furthermore, why does it matter? It is sufficiently low and of such a short duration that it has absolutely no effect on dark adapted vision (it is below the required biochemical threshold).

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

Are you trying to suggest that the preflash is a design feature ? An intentional addition to the workings of the light ? Or is it really something unwanted but difficult to eliminate ?.

Saying that it doesn't matter isn't good enough. A scratch or blemish in the anodisation doesn't actually matter to the function of a light, but would be cause for rejection. Apparently minor things like this contribute greatly to the feeling of quality in a product.

If you are working in a scotopic environment, the preflash could be very annoying. Biochemical threshold or not isn't the point - if you are dark adapted, it will be very noticeable.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you really want to discuss the preflash, there are already numerous threads on it specifically in the MP. Lots of info there on what causes it and why it exists.

However, in actual use, it is VERY small, and nowhere near as bad as the Fenix preflash, which I am sure is what most people are imagining when they read about it but have never actually seen it.

wapkil

Enlightened
A "defect" implies a mistake or deviation from the intended design, of which there is none.

It depends on the vocabulary but AFAIR in the language used for example in ISO standards the pre-flash can be accurately described as a "design defects" (hence also also a "defect") - an incorrect behavior occurring by design. A defect is any flaw that prevents something from working correctly. If we agree that the existence of pre-flash is an incorrect behavior, preventing the light from working as requested by the user, then it is a defect.

This mistake or deviation you write about is usually an anomaly, non-conformity or maybe a manufacturing defect.

uplite

Enlightened
If you really want to discuss the preflash, there are already numerous threads on it specifically in the MP. Lots of info there on what causes it and why it exists.
I just searched the MP for "(preflash or 'pre-flash') quark", and the only thread that came up was this one, which mentions another thread that was closed and can't be found. I smell fish...or cow patties...or astroturf? :rolleyes: :p

Marduke, you seem to understand the issue. Can you either explain it, or link to any thread that explains it?

fwiw, the "preflash" does not affect me. I only use my Quarks in High or Max mode. Frankly I don't understand why so many folks use these lights on Moonlight or Low mode...I have a tiny led in the victorinox penlight on my keychain for that. But I've seen the flash, and I am curious about what causes it. Is it really a subliminal message? ;) :laughing:

-Jeff

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there is the one bonus that the preflash doesn't seem to occur on any of the 1.5-4.2V Quarks if it hasn't been turned on in greater than ~30 seconds. My 123-2 has it every time, but it is still low intensity and extremely brief.

DM51

Flashaholic
There was a thread in the MP on the subject of the "pre-flash". It was a troll thread, so it was closed.

Further posts in this thread about this will be deleted as off-topic and/or trolling, with action taken against offenders where appropriate.

Norm

Retired Administrator
There was a thread in the MP on the subject of the "pre-flash". It was a troll thread, so it was closed.

Further posts in this thread about this will be deleted as off-topic and/or trolling, with action taken against offenders where appropriate.
Thanks Dave.
Norm

uplite

Enlightened
Dang. I was just about to post that I finally found the closed thread about that-which-we-may-not-mention, and that I don't think that-which-we-may-not-mention is a significant issue. :)

But the censorship here is a big issue for me. I don't play on threads that are so obviously managed by their commercial sponsors. I'm outta this thread for good!! Enjoy. :)

-Jeff

Haz

Enlightened
It seems most people prefer brush stainless clips over the chrome ones, i agree.

hopefully they have will also make the clips with deep carry, so the whole light can go into the pocket

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang. I was just about to post that I finally found the closed thread about that-which-we-may-not-mention, and that I don't think that-which-we-may-not-mention is a significant issue. :)

But the censorship here is a big issue for me. I don't play on threads that are so obviously managed by their commercial sponsors. I'm outta this thread for good!! Enjoy. :)

-Jeff

Whoa uplite...go ahead and place the link to the thread so those who didn`t catch it before can read up. The only reason our moderator posted a warning is that this subject has been beaten into the ground before. Just be going round and round like a cat chasing it`s tail. Has nothing at all to do with commercial sponsors...I can assure you that. The pre-flash is there...it is what it is. If folks think it would bother them that much then perhaps these are not the lights for them. Just the way these are :)

Last edited:

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
This is insane :shakehead I spent the last week trying to decide which Quark TI to get. I narrowed it down to AA or 2AA, then down to a regular instead of tactical after much thought and :banghead:

I :paypal:on Sunday for a regular AA Ti...........and now I decided to get another one :ohgeez:. I'm almost back where I started from last week.

Haz

Enlightened
This is insane :shakehead I spent the last week trying to decide which Quark TI to get. I narrowed it down to AA or 2AA, then down to a regular instead of tactical after much thought and :banghead:

I :paypal:on Sunday for a regular AA Ti...........and now I decided to get another one :ohgeez:. I'm almost back where I started from last week.

I had the same dilemma, so I went for the regular AA Ti, plus the tactical AA^2 Ti, because I didn't want to use other batteries, so i have 6 additional combinations possible.
buttrock.gif

• AA Regular
  • AA^2 Tactical
When changing only the bodies
  • AA^2 Regular
  • AA Tactical
When changing the heads only, 8 modes (Regular) or 2 user defined (Tactical)

• AA 2 user defined mode with Regular switch
  • AA^2 8 modes with Tactical switch
When changing the tails only
  • AA 8 modes with Tactical switch
  • AA^2 2 user defined mode with Regular switch

Norm

Retired Administrator
I did something similar but bought 123 regular sans clip and AA Tactical. Similar combinations to Haz.
Norm

nismotor

Newly Enlightened

Haha you are not alone as you can see.

Ever since I heard the news on the 15th, I've been trying to narrow it down to which one I should get. Went through pretty much the same thing, and bought the Ti AA Reg recently...just like you.-- :shakeheadplease don't tempt me to get another !!!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get a AA so you could use 14500 with it. Then you'll have the brightest AA flashlight*

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
I had the same dilemma, so I went for the regular AA Ti, plus the tactical AA^2 Ti, because I didn't want to use other batteries, so i have 6 additional combinations possible.
buttrock.gif

Actually I was thinking of the tactical AA^2 TI, so I guess I'll add that to my regular AA Ti :thumbsup: That gives a lot of flexibility playing Lego.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts