Video Review and Tear Down of the 3rd GEN Maglite Flashlights

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tore down the 3D and the driver is totally different. Same location, same size, but a totally different driver. I will try to get photos up in a day or two.

They are even optimizing the drivers for the battery compliment? That is another good move for Mag. ☺

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of mags previous led lights utilized a stepdown driver that cut max power to around 70% IIRC after the first X minutes. That would make the light very bright when used spotty, and toned down slightly for longer runs. This is an excellent driver choice in my opinion so that you're working with Alk cells. That's why the previous gens didn't do any better on nimh than alks. I am wondering if this gen does the same thing. The high current draw suggests it does (we need a runtime graph to tell). Remember that a 30% cut in output would probably mean a 50% cut in current draw, or something similar.

What are the tints like?

Last edited:

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
3D driver added in the OP.

Don't know any exact tint. Somewhere around 5800k-6200k. That is just my feel for it.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job and very informative. I think Mag did a nice job with the redesign. Put some NiMh D cells in and this becomes even more interesting and useful. I will probably pick up a 3cell model if I come across one at Home Depot or wherever they are sold.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Very useful video and beamshots..
Maglite seems to have finally stepped up their game.
unfortunately maglites are still very expensive here across the pond..
even old (pre-led) are still 30-$40 a piece.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very useful video and beamshots..
Maglite seems to have finally stepped up their game.
unfortunately maglites are still very expensive here across the pond..
even old (pre-led) are still 30-$40 a piece.

Wow, that is unfortunate that the incandescent models are so expensive for you. They can be found for some great deals here in the US from time to time. I know many people who still use and continue to buy the incandescent models.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is unfortunate that the incandescent models are so expensive for you. They can be found for some great deals here in the US from time to time. I know many people who still use and continue to buy the incandescent models.

And given the stepdowns with this light, buying an incandescent Mag and running a Malkoff drop-in might be a better choice for those wanting maximum output for extended periods of time.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
And given the stepdowns with this light, buying an incandescent Mag and running a Malkoff drop-in might be a better choice for those wanting maximum output for extended periods of time.

True, but the Malkoff drop-in is almost 2x the price of these new Maglites ($47 vs. $80). Also, the unique new UI of these Maglites does not exist on the Malkoffs. The Malkoff drop-ins are very nice. The tear down video looks like Maglite really upgraded these with better heat-sinking, drivers, an electronic switch, and user-configurable UI.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
2D Mod
I just took off the R050 resistor on the board and didn't have what I wanted, but I put back two R056 together. It now pulls 3.4 amps with two Alkalines! I am in the process of making two of the 3xAA holders into a 6xAA 2S/3P and I will see how that goes. The 2D is now very bright!
I also added some mass to the heat sink. If you look at the pill that holds the led, you see there's sort of a cup there. I filled that with copper shot and solder. It adds some mass at least. About quadrupled the weight and it should help with heat for a little while.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
2D Mod
I just took off the R050 resistor on the board and didn't have what I wanted, but I put back two R056 together. It now pulls 3.4 amps with two Alkalines! I am in the process of making two of the 3xAA holders into a 6xAA 2S/3P and I will see how that goes. The 2D is now very bright!
I also added some mass to the heat sink. If you look at the pill that holds the led, you see there's sort of a cup there. I filled that with copper shot and solder. It adds some mass at least. About quadrupled the weight and it should help with heat for a little while.
hmm increasing the weight of the sink may just keep more heat at the LED after it heats up, you want to increase the surface area and since its enclosed you want to increase the contact area with the body before increasing the weight. It might work well during inital heat build up but i hope the light has thermal step down.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
As in any light, you reach a point where the heat will not dissipate as fast as is is being created, but instead, it will just continue to get hotter. There is no more room for more transfer to the wall of the body, unless you wish to do a complete modification and change everything. I'm sure someone will do that sooner or later. This was just a minor stop gap for the stock light.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Great info on earlier Mags, thanks!

I am a semi-serious Mag collector and I didn't know that.

All of mags previous led lights utilized a stepdown driver that cut max power to around 70% IIRC after the first X minutes. That would make the light very bright when used spotty, and toned down slightly for longer runs. This is an excellent driver choice in my opinion so that you're working with Alk cells. That's why the previous gens didn't do any better on nimh than alks. I am wondering if this gen does the same thing. The high current draw suggests it does (we need a runtime graph to tell). Remember that a 30% cut in output would probably mean a 50% cut in current draw, or something similar.

What are the tints like?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Red Maglite 3rd Generation 3D cell Maglite.

After checking it out over a few nights it is all you could ask from a $40 maglite.

I got it to OZ in about 11 days USPS for about $67 all up with shipping from Fleabay in the US.

The central beam is adjustable to some degree.

I mainly found the twisting of the head more useful to focus the central part of the beam when changing distances.

The outer part of the beam does not change when adjusting the head so the floody part remains constant.

I like it and it now replaces my older maglite hanging at my front door.

You have to click the on/off button pretty quickly in succession to get to the the other modes.

Changing the configuration of the modes is very easy to do by holding the button down whilst screwing the tailcap on.

The LED will flash 1 flash then 2 flashes then 3 flashes then lastly 4 flashes with gaps in between.

When you get to the configuration you want you just take your finger off the button.

I am wondering what the long term reliability will be of the button as it is a new design that is nice to use.

For the price if I dropped this light and it is stuffed I would just by another one.

These Maglites are not in Australia yet as far as I can tell and the blue coloured maglite body is hard to find anywhere online.

I don't see any real differences in performance etc so far when running my Imedion NIMH LSD D cells in it

The only issue I see is for white wall chasers.

The outside of the outer spill beam has an inner ring that Maglite could not easily get rid of probably.

CHEERS

Last edited:

xcfan

Newly Enlightened
they need to redesign the body of the maglite yesterday. they're putting a corvette engine in an edsel. grandpa's are passing away everyday, so are maglite lovers; time to evolve.

wjv

Enlightened
Thanks for all the beam shots.

I have been thinking about getting a new maglite as a home flashlight, but was wondering if they still had the horrid ringy beams. Looks like they have addressed that issue to a certain degree. The beams look a lot better than they use to!

bladesmith3

Enlightened
can someone explain that if both the 2 cell and the 3 cell have the same led and the 2 cell is driven harder, then how come the 3 cell is so much brighter? if you ran a 18650 in the 2 cell would it be as bright as the 3 cell?

Scourie

Enlightened
The LED won't be driven harder. It's the batteries that have to work harder because there's only two of them.

My guess.

Rob