• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Haiku High CRI

nbp

Flashaholic
Just trying to figure something out here. Everytime I log in this thread is bolded like there is a new post and shows a last post date of yesterday at 5:43pm but when I click on it it there is no post since late February. I'm hoping posting here will make it stop showing up. :shrug:

Edit: Ha! Seemed to work. Now the last post shows up. Congrats on the new Haiku. :)

ibcj

Enlightened
Hi Don,

I also emailed you last night at the dmcleish address. I sent it from the same email address that I've emailed you from many times previously. (Only posting to let you know in the event there is an issue with your email :) )

ibcj

Enlightened
Hi Don,

I also emailed you last night at the dmcleish address. I sent it from the same email address that I've emailed you from many times previously. (Only posting to let you know in the event there is an issue with your email :) )

It's working for me, thanks ! :wave::paypal:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Does Haiku Hi Cri come with a XML2 led version?

In terms of High CRI matched with a CCT up there with the sun (4000K -5000k) I don't believe any other manufacturer has come close to what Nichia, with their expertise in phosphors, has brought to market. To my knowledge, which is limited, Cree and others may be getting up above 90 in CRI but with LED's that are down in the 2500-4000K and I am not using these. I have chosen the XM-Ls and XM-L2's that I use based on maximum flux with reasonable CCT. The Cree XP-G2 I am using is a LED that I believe bridges the gap between the Nichias and XM-L's in terms of tint, CRI, lux and flux.

Quoddy

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have the Haiku High CRI in both AA and C123? If so, how much actual useable light is lost with the AA engine? My Mule High CRI is AA and I had/have no plan to use it for more than close-in lighting, but I would like to reach out a little with the Haiku if I decide to go that route.

Bass

Enlightened
Anyone have the Haiku High CRI in both AA and C123? If so, how much actual useable light is lost with the AA engine? My Mule High CRI is AA and I had/have no plan to use it for more than close-in lighting, but I would like to reach out a little with the Haiku if I decide to go that route.

Don's AA Light engines are set to 300mA compared to 625mA for the 3v CR123 if you opt for the 119V HiCRI. There is a difference in output but not as significant as the numbers suggest. From memory I think the AA Nichia outputs about 70 lumens vs 100 ish for the 3v Nichia in the Haiku.

The difference in 'throw / reach' will be significant compared to your AA Mule on the Haiku AA due to the reflector. The AA Haiku would suit your needs from what you have said above if you like the AA Pak form factor. If you don't mind a different battery type then the 3v would give you more output.

murrydan

Newly Enlightened
Email sent for one Haiku High CRI.

Payment sent.

Edit July 5

Got it!!! Beautiful.

Thanks Don.

Last edited:

karp

Newly Enlightened
Is the Hi CRI right for me?

Hi Guys,

2nd post here. ...and a little context.

I received my first "real" flashlight the other day, an HDS Rotary 250. I'm officially addicted. As a testament, I've probably spent about 8 hours yesterday educating myself on these forums. Didn't even know the time passed so quickly. After only 2 days of use, I absolutely love the HDS. In fact, it is was has sold me on purchasing lights straight from custom makers. (As a companion to the HDS, I picked up a Nightcore SRT7 from REI. Even with 960 lumens, I returned it yesterday. The build quality was terrible and after comparing 960 lumens to 250 lumens, I definitely don't need them extra lumens. I can see law enforcement and tactical applications, but I'm not a weekend Rambo :rolleyes:.) But what I am looking for is another companion to the HDS. I believe in redundancy, and with the immense output of these lights in such small form factors, 2 lights take up little space and weight. And I am sold on Don's build quality and reputation for service and would like a McGizmo for my next light.

So, in this context, is a Hi CRI Haiku right for me as a companion to a rotary-style 250 lumens light? Primary use would be general purpose, attached inside my backpack for EDC. (My HDS has no clip, so I wouldn't EDC that light - but it would be used daily in my work, just not carried.) The light would become a companion light for hiking and camping, where both would be brought along in that situation. Another way of looking at it is that the Haiku Hi CRI would be an outdoor light, with an active lifestyle - it would be used and "abused".

The other alternative is the XM-L, so if not one then the other. I wonder if with an XM-L, I would overlap the HDS.

The followup question I have, given my context and intended use of the light, would a 2x123 be recommended over a 1x123. The light would be clipped via lanyard to an o-ring inside the side pocket of my Synapse 25 backpack. I pose this question because I am worried a little bit that, even given the high quality of the light, it might not be bright enough by a tad, for exploration, light night hiking returning to the trail head after the sun goes down, exploring beneath falls, etc.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments, and hopefully this post provides enough information to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks!

edit: For sake of this discussion, I was also looking at the Aqua/terra Rams.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Is the Hi CRI right for me?

Hi Guys,

2nd post here. ...and a little context.

I received my first "real" flashlight the other day, an HDS Rotary 250. I'm officially addicted. As a testament, I've probably spent about 8 hours yesterday educating myself on these forums. Didn't even know the time passed so quickly. After only 2 days of use, I absolutely love the HDS. In fact, it is was has sold me on purchasing lights straight from custom makers. (As a companion to the HDS, I picked up a Nightcore SRT7 from REI. Even with 960 lumens, I returned it yesterday. The build quality was terrible and after comparing 960 lumens to 250 lumens, I definitely don't need them extra lumens. I can see law enforcement and tactical applications, but I'm not a weekend Rambo :rolleyes:.) But what I am looking for is another companion to the HDS. I believe in redundancy, and with the immense output of these lights in such small form factors, 2 lights take up little space and weight. And I am sold on Don's build quality and reputation for service and would like a McGizmo for my next light.

So, in this context, is a Hi CRI Haiku right for me as a companion to a rotary-style 250 lumens light? Primary use would be general purpose, attached inside my backpack for EDC. (My HDS has no clip, so I wouldn't EDC that light - but it would be used daily in my work, just not carried.) The light would become a companion light for hiking and camping, where both would be brought along in that situation. Another way of looking at it is that the Haiku Hi CRI would be an outdoor light, with an active lifestyle - it would be used and "abused".

The other alternative is the XM-L, so if not one then the other. I wonder if with an XM-L, I would overlap the HDS.

The followup question I have, given my context and intended use of the light, would a 2x123 be recommended over a 1x123. The light would be clipped via lanyard to an o-ring inside the side pocket of my Synapse 25 backpack. I pose this question because I am worried a little bit that, even given the high quality of the light, it might not be bright enough by a tad, for exploration, light night hiking returning to the trail head after the sun goes down, exploring beneath falls, etc.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments, and hopefully this post provides enough information to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks!

edit: For sake of this discussion, I was also looking at the Aqua/terra Rams.

:welcome: and congratulations, you may have set a new record for reaching the "archimedes peak" at the incredibly low CPF post-count of only 2 (!) :eek:

For reference, here's the chart ...

VAybawQ.jpeg

... and the explanation ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/384016

:D

More seriously, I agree that the Haiku would indeed be an excellent choice for your stated purpose, but might suggest the XP-G2 emitter instead.

Since you will be considering a second McGizmo soon after receiving your first, I would recommend saving the XM-L emitter for a companion 2x CR123A Makai to join the 1x CR123A XP-G2 Haiku ... :devil:

EDIT ... and you can always add the High CRI Nichia when you get a SunDrop or Mule :)

Last edited:

calflash

Enlightened
Re: Is the Hi CRI right for me?

I recently swapped an XP-G2 engine in my Haiku and removed the hi-cri. I too would highly recommend the XP-G2 in the Haiku. It's about 200 lumens with a NICELY balanced beam!

That being said, the Haiku is good in my opinion for anything under 100ft. If you would like more distance and can afford the extra heft, I would 100% recommend the Aqua/Terra Ram. It is a very nice middle ground as far as beam distance goes, between the Haiku and the Makai. And the HIVE driver is a blast if you like programmability!

...and THAT being said...um....well...nearly every night I end up taking a Haiku in one pocket, an Aqua Ram in the other pocket and a Makai in another pocket when I walk:naughty:

Last edited: