• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Makai

They are in production I have been informed and hopefully will be shipped to me at the end of the month. If all goes well I will be posting about the Makai 2x123 next month.

Don, Once a few of these new 2x123 Makai heads get out there, how will we know which head is which? Will the LED look different or will you mark the underside with a certain color or maybe a 2 only scribed somehow, obviously no one wants to make an expensive mistake by lego'ing a one pak only head onto a two pak :poof:.:thinking:

I do plan to include some obvious distinctions regarding the 6V Makai LE's.

Maybe a dumb question.....but I will ask it anyway as the Makai is my next light purchase here soon. :)

Will the new 6V head only work with the new 2 X 123 body? Or would it also work with the 1 X 123?

I want to have the option...as I do enjoy the look of the shorty Makai, but would like to have the ability to go long if I want to :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance Don!

RIDE

Don, will the 6V head produce any usable light powered at 3V?

Hi guys,
I don't know the details of the buck converter yet. I would assume that it has some overhead requiring the V-in to be in excess of the V-out, by some amount for regulation to be maintained. What happens when V-in is below this, :shrug:

Given my experience using a 1-speed SunDrop XP light engine in a 1-cell light, the answer is: yes, it will produce some light, but without a boost driver to increase the drive voltage to the required spec, there will be insufficient force to push very much current through the LED, and its brightness will be significantly diminished. Also, it's entirely possible that the mode-switcher won't work if the input voltage is that far below spec.

Dear sir I am very new to this beautiful forum, its Greek to me . very confused.
Unfortunately for me I am sick and want to buy my daughter a light she will remember me by.
Is there a site where I could see pictures of these most magnificent lights. My daughter is a navy pilot and this light seemed
very different, longer than most.
Looking for some help.
thank you,
Joe/jput

Dear sir I am very new to this beautiful forum, its Greek to me . very confused.
Unfortunately for me I am sick and want to buy my daughter a light she will remember me by.
Is there a site where I could see pictures of these most magnificent lights. My daughter is a navy pilot and this light seemed
very different, longer than most.
Looking for some help.
thank you,
Joe/jput

Hi Joe,
Sorry to hear you are unwell. The threads on here started by Don for each light offering will have photographs of the lights, the current offerings include the Haiku, Sundrop, Mule, Sapphire, and the new Aqua series (Ram and Mule). Other than the Sapphire (a AAA light) and the Aqua series (18650 rechargeable lights), they can be ordered with either AA, 123, 2xAA or 2x123 size.
If you want to see a bunch of nice photos in one place, Pro Light Japan has some good shots:
http://www.pro-light.jp/mcgizmo/mcgizmo_1.html
Be warned, if you find this site hard to interpret, as Pro Light is all in Japanese, but it's easy to navigate if you just want to see the photos. You can see on the Makai 6V (2x123) page, it's about the same length as an LED AA Maglite.
I hope that helps,
Matt

Hi Joe,
So sorry to hear of your health problem. It's my opinion and just opinion that the Haiku XM-L is the most all around and best suited light in my offerings for general purpose lighting of both near as well as relatively far, objects of interest. The other lights and battery paks allow for better focus on either near field illumination or further out objects of interest as well as options in size of light and length of run time and such. I don't know if you are after a light that would best serve your daughter while she is a pilot or while she is off duty. It may be you are most interested in finding her something that is the most unique in appearance with illumination characteristics being secondary. :shrug:

this light seemed very different, longer than most.
Looking for some help.
thank you,
Joe/jput

The Makai is different from most other lights. I own one and will tell anyone that it almost has a power of it's own. The combination of size, titanium construction, and great light output, puts it in a class by itself. It makes a statement. When I'm out in the dark, it's the Makai that goes with me. Makes day out the dark and gives me just a touch more confidence that I can handle whatever comes.

A complete package would include the tapped clip and a McGizmo coiled tether with swivel.