Weapon light on 5.56/.223 AR (I have it down to three, I believe)

Whitebrad25

Newly Enlightened
Well, the title says it. I have been spending all day (literally), the past 4 days in a row trying to decide between all of the options and whatnot. Needless to say, it is exhausting.

I know I want an LED light that is RUGGED (will need to stand up to carbine classes and competition). I also like options on the light (I am not under the impression that simple is necessarily better, likewise, 100 features do not necessarily make a light better). Bright lumen rating with multiple (I.E. at least two) modes preferred. A reputation is something I considered as well, since google searches led me to some VERY bright and exotic seeming lights, but they seemed to be too new for my preference. Lastly, price....these lights are right around what I feel comfortable spending (since my quick detach mount is $80 itself).

With the above in mind, I considered form factor. I want a relatively small(er..I would consider in 5inches, preferably, in length) light. ALSO it will need to have a 1inch diameter to fit the mount I am looking at....finding the right mount was a search in and of itself that was difficult.

With those criterion in place, I limited my search to 3 Fenix lights.
  • Fenix TK12 (the R2 I believe or if the R5 was on this version then the R5)...this is the least preferred of the 3
  • Fenix TK15 R5
  • Fenix TK21 U2

EDITED TO ADD: I HAVE READ THE REVIEWS ON THIS FORUM FOR THESE THREE LIGHTS...I am just that tore up...

The problem I have is A) are the above a good option for my described use (I know they have springs on both the emitter head and the cap so that should limit shock) B) are there other options of similar specs I should consider (I REALLY don't intend on this thread to be a 'which one' kinda deal, but heck save me from myself if I am ignorant in my logic) and C) which of the above would you choose and why?

The size differences among them do not seem to be enough to deter me (since with each size there is a decent Lumen gain). I could be wrong here, but I also believe that all of these Fenix lights are within 1.040 inches in diameter (this is probably the most set in stone parameter).

Thank you guys/gals for any help and clarification. I am glad to finally be a part of this forum since so much great understanding and knowledge comes from here (I say this having googled so much and seeing this forum hit time after time).

Last edited:

Steve Cebu

Newly Enlightened
I look forward to seeing replies. I'm also looking for the same thing for an AR15 only I'll be mounting on a magpul fore stock.
Myself I would want either AA or AAA batteries because i have a boatload of those and also I run sanyo eneloops in my other lights.
My all time favorite light is the Fenix TK41 but no way could you mount that 800 lumen beast on an AR.

Did you look into a Fenix LD20? I wonder if that would hold up? Oh wait now it's called the LD22
My wife has the single battery version and loves it.
It has advantages over my 4 year old Nitecore D10

Whitebrad25

Newly Enlightened
To muddy the waters even more...... Have you considered the Klarus XT-2C ?

Not sure what the first part means, but yes....I looked at the Klarus line. Not sure on their reputation but the XT10 looked interesting.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT-11 and the XT-2C are really nice lights.
Great build quality. Klaruslights USA has had them tested on firearms including 12ga and they have held up. The testing was done by some SWAT types in Southern California.

I am running the older XT-10 on my patrol carbine and have had no problems at all. Way more than I need and easy to operate. Klarus also makes the the only digitally controlled pressure switch.

huntercole

Newly Enlightened
I'm also looking for a light to put on my AR. I like the thrunite scorpion and the armytek vikings. I'm not sure which one throws the furthest though. I'm thinking about going with the armytek viking s. I had a fenix tk10 on my gun before and was able to see well enough to shoot out to 100 yards, but I want something that will allow me to shoot out further.

Whitebrad25

Newly Enlightened
On an AR forum the kool aid surefire fanboys came out. Nothing is as good as Surefire, so they say. Is the XT11 really rugged enough to be used in this way? It might just be the light for me...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Klarus XT11 has the digital pressure switch (Can even change modes with the remote, not just on/off), double sprung cell chamber, and holds up to the 12 ga and AR15, as well as Sig Sauer and Glocks, that we use for example (AR15 is a cake walk for a light...).

A lot of guys are upgrading to the XT11 as a weapon light for that reason....at least around here.

No one has had a failure either. On the flip side, a buddy had to send his $400 Surefire back for repairs ~3-4x because it kept breaking, and finally shoved it into a drawer in frustration, and replaced it with a Steamlight. We were shooting the other day and he tried out the XT11 I had, tried them side by side, and now he's ditching the Streamlight for the Klarus XT11.

:twak::xyxgun:

Whitebrad25

Newly Enlightened
It is getting better now but here is a link to the thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_20/575301_.html&page=1&anc=5541748#i5541748

The part I don't get is what exactly makes the Klarus a bad or weak light? I am not fixated by lumen ratings....I prefer the UI and I think the overall form factor is very comparable to other lights that will fit this role. It has dual springs to help reduce any shock to the batteries, like the Surefires, is made of the same materials, is brighter.......I am not stuck on a light but when cross referencing the feedback I am getting there seems to be no legit reason to hate on Klarus...

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Been a member over there for about 10 yrs. You asked the wrong question lol. Most are arm chair warriors. One guy said I believe "all cops use a surefire" that was to funny. I know a lot who can't stand surefires. I introduced my buddy to my Jetbeam BC25 and now he has one. I love this light on my AR. It has a simple H/L mode.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an LEO and an arfcom member. I am also an FFL dealer. I can tell you that I have tested many many lights on an AR and that almost any of the quality lights work well. Dual springs are more an advantage in mainting contact with shorter batteries rather than recoil protection. I currently use the XT-10 from Klarus on my duty carbine and even without dual springs have never had an issue. I am going to use the XT2C on my pump gun and that light has no springs in the head. It has been tested by a very large Sheriff's Department on shotguns for several hundred rounds without a failure
Yes there are a lot of armchair commandos on arfcom. Most pistols will be rougher on a light than any carbine.

Whitebrad25

Newly Enlightened
Ya I figured most of this was coming from their "experience." I am sure only a set few have actually used any light on a carbine course and any fewer did so with multiple lights....Now the topic seems to be that I support the Chinese.....I want to support a good product.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I am more than likely going to get the Klarus XT11 and practice, practice, practice, with it. I don't think it will be a problem.