What Book are You Reading Now?

jrgold

Enlightened
Just finished the third book of the red rising series by Pierce Brown. Great example of sci-fi where sci-fi is the background as opposed to the focus. The story is more about the class struggle between the blue collar and the ruling elite. It's not a soft read, very war focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Book two (of 20) of his Scot Harvath series.

7520.jpg

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put down White Fang, which I started earlier today, and started Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3), Michael Connelly 2020, which just arrived today.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
is that book in the same genre as Dune?

If you're wanting legendary sci-fi, look to Ted Chiang's Exhalation if you didn't already read it last year when it blew up; it's a collection of shorter stories, but they're of that caliber where the storytelling is so strong that it transcends genre, this one appears on plenty of non-sci-fi fans' lists..

BH8080M.jpg

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted Chiang's Exhalation[QUOTE]

^ A great read. He wrote Story of Your Life, which the Amy Adams movie Arrival (2016) was based.

from that story:

Mom, can I ask you something?

Sure sweetie, go ahead.

Can I be, um, honored?

What do you mean?

At school Sharon said she got to be honored.

Really? Did she tell you what for?

It was when her big sister got married. She said only one person could be, um, honored, and she was it.

Ah, I see. You mean Sharon was maid of honor?

Yeah, that's it. Can I be made of honor?

jrgold

Enlightened
If you're wanting legendary sci-fi, look to Ted Chiang's Exhalation if you didn't already read it last year when it blew up; it's a collection of shorter stories, but they're of that caliber where the storytelling is so strong that it transcends genre, this one appears on plenty of non-sci-fi fans' lists..

BH8080M.jpg

i'm reading jemisin's "the fifth season" now, will put that on the list next, thank you

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finished
Dance Hall of the Dead (Leaphorn & Chee #2), Tony Hillerman 1973 &
The Blessing Way (Leaphorn & Chee #1), Tony Hillerman 1970

Started Listening Woman (Leaphorn & Chee #3), Tony Hillerman 1978.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"The Boy Captives."

By: Clinton L. Smith

Non-fiction. Two young boys get kidnapped by Indians during the years of the settling of the Wild West in America. Indoctrinated into Comanche, and Apache tribes (with one brother sold to Geronimo). The only two brothers known to have endured captivity, and made it back alive.

If you enjoy your non-fiction with a politically correct slant, this is NOT the book for you. If you want your non-fiction to tell it like it is, with no sugar-coating of reality; this is the book for you.

What struck me was the sheer lack of any caring for human life. Human life is precious? Oh heck no! Absolutely worthless back then, in that setting. People getting murdered for their horse or just for fun?.... Common thing for the Author. About as common as the Sun rising in the morning.

jrgold

Enlightened
finished the Stormlight Archives by Sanderson so naturally reading Mistborn now. I really like how simple his writing style is, but character development is complex

Folgore202

Newly Enlightened
Articles on the post-COVID real estate market in the Mediterantean, because I have to write an investment strategy into this property in Spain and I'm a bit overdue...
But before that, I was reading Stefan Zweig's The World of Yesterday; that's a pretty fascinating, if naive, insight in what the people who grew in the Austro-Hungarian Empire felt and thought after the country fell apart and was divided between all of the countries of Central and Southern Europe...

Last edited: