What did I do to my LED?

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
Bought a cheap $30 3A XML single 18650 light from deal extreme.

Well I wouldnt consider it cheap.... but you get what im saying.

I found out that I could simply unscrew the reflector in 2 places. The top also just happens to fit where the bezel housing the reflector went. This I have a pure flood light bare LED light. This appealed to me, but I wanted it to be more durable as the LED and driver are completely exposed to moisture. So i used the mineral glass placed it overtop and covered the LED itself in "All purpose GOOP" adhesive and sealent. It looked fantastic! I thought I was a genius. haha. Then I noticed, the Little Bubble that comes on ever LED, the soft squishy silicone like substance had virtually dissapeared. Is this because they are the same color fluids? and it is a trick of the eye that it appears gone? or did something have a reaction with it and it simply vanished from existence?

Pictures will be up at some point.

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:

I was curious so I peeled back the glass, Yes it is still there, So cool how it can fool me into believing it had vanished. BUT BUT BUT! It has a hole in it, there was no force peeling off it looks as if in one location it ate away ate it and slowly is dissolving it. It was way to messy to get my camera, could not get a photo of it. But its defiantly eating away at the LED bubble. (Is it silicone?)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Sounds like the solvents in the "GOOP" are attacking the LED cover/lens. The good news is that your LED might still work and produce the pure flood illumination you are after, and even if it does stop working if your light takes a "P60" style drop-ins (pill and reflector) then you can buy replacement pills fairly cheaply.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you Google the MSDS for Goop, you'll find it contains toluene, which is no surprise. And if you examine this Cree document on XLamp chemical compatibility, it should also be no surprise that toluene is not compatible with the LED's dome.