What is the best AA light TODAY for blackouts/power outages (Under $15.00)

paulr

Flashaholic
Tail standing comes in handy but you can always figure out a substitute for it, e.g. prop the light between two books or in put it in a coffee mug or even just tape it to the side of a table.

I'd go for the Gerber Infinity Ultra though the 100 hour claim is a bit of an overstatement (maybe a feeble glow will remain by then).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My most used lights during IKE were 2Ds with SMJLEDS and a 4D Folding 2 tube lantern.

Smaller is better for EDC. Not so much around the house.

There is an Energizer 1W 1AA aluminum light that again won't tail stand but is pretty good in other ways. It has a momentary click switch, and it isn't terribly bright.

bob4apple

Enlightened
sol-leks said: "Above mentioned coleman and made me think to check the coleman family store, so how about this guy?
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=1110

2xAA, claims 55 lumens, 6 hour battery life for 11.50. Seems pretty decent to me. Just make sure you go to the family store with the password family to cut it from 17.99 to 11.50. I'd guess the lumens rating is reasonably accurate if it does in fact use a cree as it claims"

I bought that light- it's dim with NIMH batts, so I chanced a single 14500, along with a dummy AA, so now maybe it's 55 lumens.
By the way, from the picture, you might think it's made of aluminum, but no- it's lightweight plastic. I will say, though, with the large reflector, it throws nicely and has a wide, useful spill area, too. I like it but it is almost as large as a 2 C cell light!

I like LION batts because they hold their charge halfway to forever. Regular NIMH are more likely, I think, to be laying around the house mostly discharged when the power goes out. :mecry:

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
Here's another thought - Get a couple of the old model Glo Toobs that run on A23 batteries. If you don't mind using A23 batteries. Their run times aren't bad I hear and you can pick your color. Just run a Google search and you can find them for a little over $15. Just a thought.

Willie

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking at my somewhat large collection of AA lights, and you have a rather sticky problem.

Not one of mine except the Fenix L1 or P2 will tail stand.

Just get some small pieces of wood and drill holes in them. Quick, simple stand for emergency situations.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Here's another thought - Get a couple of the old model Glo Toobs that run on A23 batteries. If you don't mind using A23 batteries. Their run times aren't bad I hear and you can pick your color. Just run a Google search and you can find them for a little over $15. Just a thought.

$15.95, shipping included! Only about $6 more if you want the multimode. I just bought several, including a green lithium. Those A23 batteries are actually really easy to come by around here and online as well... Of course the lithium is preferable. For emergancy lighting purposes though, I'd go with the white. It still isn't going to provide enough light to play cards by, but likely enough to assist night vision to walk around without crashing into stuff (someone who actually has one can correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm going by reviews and pictures).

http://www.cfrlights.com/servlet/the-Glo-dsh-toob/Categories

Cheapskate

Enlightened
one of the easiest ways to get most AA lights to tailstand is to cut a 2cm slice of a length of foam sleeving used to insulate 1/2" water pipes.

Just insert the tail end of the light in the foam ring.

nitecoretsno9.jpg

my.php

my.php

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
for some lights you can also use a film cannister to tail stand with. I have a pvc pipe end and poster putty on it *gluing* it to my desk by my bed to tailstand a light by my bed I use to drain weak AAs with.

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm the CPFer who did the Gerber Infinity Ultra runtime test with L91 Lithium batteries and then again with Alkaline batteries.

I can tell you that the Lithium battery Only lasted about 16 to 18 hours or so. The alkaline battery lasted 100 hours, but the last 40 or 50 hours are really really dim. I didn't try to read by it, but I wouldn't want to either. It's the kind of dim where you need to hold the light a half-inch from your palm to even see if it's on or not... barely a little glow dot.