What is the single most greatest machine mankind has ever built?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I don't agree with Jtr's cheap-enough-to-own hypothesis, as the first two devices on this list changed human culture without hardly anyone being able to obtain them.
Here's why I used that criteria-when somebody else owns and controls an invention, there's no guarantee it'll be used for the general benefit of everyone. In fact, generally when inventions are too expensive for the average person to own they only benefit the average person if somebody can make money using them. There is also a history of great inventions never seeing the light of day because those profiting off the status quo would lose (it could be argued this is why Tesla's idea of global wireless power transmission was never pursued). In the end, the true inventions which are game changers are those average people can own and use as they see fit.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
However, I have never really come to terms with the amount of "work" they perform. While I agree they can enhance productivity it seems that the more reliant we become on computers, the more time we spend "feeding" them inputs. Case in point, I'm on here while I should be working . . . maybe they are the greatest distraction mankind has ever built!
What seems to happen when we invent ways to increase productivity is that instead of reaping the benefits of more free time, we instead opt for a higher standard of living. Look at the average work week. If anything it's gotten a little longer over the last decade despite great productivity increases. We could instead all be working 15 hours a week and living to the standards of 1960 (i.e. a lot fewer material things). In many ways, I think that would be better, but apparently society thinks otherwise. My question is how far will we carry this? I think in time people will see the futility of acquiring ever more possessions, and then start translating their greater productivity into more free time instead of more material things.

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen, surely we can all agree, the greatest invention has to be ~ The Toilet

When one pauses to consider the job it does, and the incredible amount of pipe, valves, pumps, etc. ect. that are required to ''finish the job" well, one just has to marvel.

Don't just think about your personal plumbing, think about the size of the machine servicing New York.

The second is our Keurig.

~ Chance
I second that. The toilet has saved many lives from typhoid and other diseases and made cities livable..
riding a bicycle and trying to avoid turds would not be a fun way of traveling the large cities.

All hail the great Fergason.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The automobile.

Can't even begin to state it's importance, from necessary to putting food on the table, to how it has integrated into pop culture, to it being an extension of our personalities and how we identify with them so strongly. Not to mention it revolutionized travel!

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second that. The toilet has saved many lives from typhoid and other diseases and made cities livable..
riding a bicycle and trying to avoid turds would not be a fun way of traveling the large cities.

All hail the great Fergason.

well, having ridden a bike in areas where the Amish use horses on public roads, I'd say that the auto certainly prevented a lot of manure from ending up on the roads. To anyone contemplating cycling in the Amish areas, I'd recommend the use of a good set of fenders/mudguards!

The toilet certainly made urban living more tolerable. I think that the development of the outhouse and the understanding that it need to be kept the proper distance from the house is also an important innovation in furthering people's health.

Honestly, I think a good case could be made for any of the utilities as "great machines", both in terms of their impact on our daily lives and in terms of their complexity.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised no mention of the human species to create fire at will.
Even though this goes back further than Homo sapiens no other species has ever done this.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of something a bit more "epic" in scale...

C'mon. Think :D A machine so colossal, it's what dreams are made of...

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
All kidding aside :D

Here's my nomination. Turn up the sound. 480p is better.

2:41 - 8:12 is especially poignant.

Keep in mind the cone trail is over a mile long at about 6:22.

Imon

Enlightened
The Saturn V is great but I wouldn't call it the greatest machine ever...
Although more than half a century later I think it's still the most powerful vehicle ever. When I was young I was a big space nut - It helped that I had family in Houston so I could visit the LBJ Space Center every year. :D

The first stage nozzles are massive and I believe the Rocketdyne F-1 engine is still the most powerful ever. Crazy how NASA was able to get that huge tower of fuel and oxygen flying...
The Soviets had a secret Moon program too but all of their N-1 rockets exploded. :poof:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sat V makes the Space Shuttle look like a bottle rocket. :D

For anyone who has no idea what these things sound like:

Wait for it. (the sound)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would still contend that the ability to create fire not only for food and protection, but no other item listed could have come into existence without the ability to crate fire. :thumbsup:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
This shuttle launch has better bass. I imagine being there it feels like a small earth quake.

Too bad I can't find a Saturn V launch video with sound. There's one somewhere with a reporter inside a view tower and talking about the windows shattering even when miles away.

piglet

Newly Enlightened
Does a stone tool count?

A useful hand axe takes skill and planning to knap. You need to provide for your group or family (and yourself ) before you can move on to greater things.

I still find it amazing that the steam train was invented before the bicycle...