What is throw to you?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me throw often has more to do with beam shape than with power. I consider even a very low powered beam to be throwy as long as it is not floody. I'd love to have a low output light with a tight, tight pencil beam and no spill at all. :sigh:

Last edited:

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened
I consider "throw" as useable light at a given distance. I know the technical definition, but my "useable light" perception is much different than when I was younger.

My personal definition of useable light at a given distance (throw) is being able to tell the difference between small animals at that distance. Dog, cat, raccoon, possum, etc. are some examples. I don't consider throw distance as being able to light up something that reflects light such as eyes, license plates, road reflectors, and stop signs. That distance would be 2X-4X+ what I would consider actual throw.

YMMV

Igor Porto

Enlightened
This is throw to me:
3-8-08_08.jpg

icarus eclipseus

Newly Enlightened
Try the Tiablo a9,21000 lux.16 cm.4cm ø.With collumator-head:65000 lux.Feels like a mix between laser and flashlight.

icarus eclipseus

Newly Enlightened
Maybe its time for CPF members to make up a throw-norm, fex.the distance you are able to read 3x3 feet black letters on a white background in total darkness....but what is total darkness,and what about the quality of the spectator`s eyes? By the way Tiablo a10 gives a very tight beam, with 45000 lux.etc.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to be able to see the threat, ascertain the immediacy of the threat, and obtain a sight picture.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I need to be able to see the threat, ascertain the immediacy of the threat, and obtain a sight picture.
So the Data Bank 70 is probably out, as I think that it might be difficult to ascertain the identity of a potential threat illuminated in such a matter:
(The hair on the back of the victims' head is being illuminated, but good luck in determining that.:D)
untitled.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178130&page=3

But seriously, the following is a primary consideration for me:
For me throw often has more to do with beam shape than with power. I consider even a very low powered beam to be throwy as long as it is not floody.
One reason I find the Streamlight MicroStream & Stylus Pro very useful for me is that, although they have very little total output (~20 lumens), the beams are very much oriented towards throw, and actually have comparable lux to the much higher output Fenix L0D with ~4 times the lumens. My 2 cents.

Then there's the SureFire KT1/2 Turbohead...

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe its time for CPF members to make up a throw-norm, fex.the distance you are able to read 3x3 feet black letters on a white background in total darkness....but what is total darkness,and what about the quality of the spectator`s eyes? By the way Tiablo a10 gives a very tight beam, with 45000 lux.etc.

I agree some kind of standard we can all relate to would be great.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me throw often has more to do with beam shape than with power. I consider even a very low powered beam to be throwy as long as it is not floody. I'd love to have a low output light with a tight, tight pencil beam and no spill at all. :sigh:

Try The Mag Solitar:crackup:. Seriously though this light is so dim it has almost no side spill, however it actually has a pretty small spot you can hit thing with it up to 75 feet away when completely focused.

Maybe its time for CPF members to make up a throw-norm, fex.the distance you are able to read 3x3 feet black letters on a white background in total darknes

I to think that would be a good idea, but what should the letter be?

Ya, the Databank 70 would be no good, it's very hard to get a sight picture at over a mile away, well with open sights that is, you might need a high powered scoop:laughing:;)!

I wonder how many Lux the Databank 70 is:thinking:? It could out throw my 1000 watt Can light so what is it like 450,000:faint::caution::shrug:! As a matter of fact how may Lux does a Maxabeam have:thinking:, I would like to see what throws farther, the Maxabeam or the Databank 70:touche:?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Try The Mag Solitar:crackup:. Seriously though this light is so dim it has almost no side spill, however it actually has a pretty small spot you can hit thing with it up to 75 feet away when completely focused...
The Solitare is a non-starter. When I stated my preference for a 'pencil beam' I didn't mean a light that I would have to turn on and then fiddle with to have a pencil beam. For my uses it must switch on as a pencil beam or it is useless.

"Discretion is the better part of valor." YMMV.

I do like Solitares for one use, though. Clean and lube 'em up, take the stock bulb out and leave it out and they make great carriers for spare AAA cells. Seriously.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The letters should be CPF, its fitting isn't it?

People's own eyes sight would be a factor. If your not 20/20 with corrective then obviously you may not see that light reflect like someone with great vision at 100 meters.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally discern a good throwing light if it can hit the end of my road which so happens "according to Google earth" to be exactly 500.5 yards. My Oracle will throw a proximity 291 yards "to the second tree line in a field by my house" I would consider this good throw but the light is not a thrower, it's beam is to diffused. If a light can easily throw to the end of my road I may take it to the street adjacent to mine which I have four lights which are classified in this group "up until the road goes uphill and is blocked by trees" which is approximately 990 yards "again according to Google earth" The Cardboard hexagon box light = 750-800 yards, a new LED prototype light I'm working on is about the same:thumbsup:, while both the Bigbeam "The Sun" and the Can light goes the whole way. Technically the Can light lit up the other side of "The Black Hole" at Milk's house so that's like a mile or something "1,700 yards" While "The Sun" lights up things a bit further on then 990 yards but it's very hard to discern things at these ranges because of the long distance they are at. As far as Lux goes I can only make estimates. "The Sun" can out throw PH 50 by a good margin "though only because it is more focused, the PH 50 is brighter." and the PH 50 can out throw the DEFT "which if I can remember had like 226,000 Lux so "The sun" is like 300,000+ or something:shrug:?

I have to reproach some of my max range throw for my lights, I got to do some more testing at a different location last night and I missed estimated my range on some lights:

The Cardboard hexagon box light = 500-600 yards

35 watt Oracle "when focused properly" = 325-350 yards

The new Field was about 300 yards from one side to the other and while my C.H.B.L. made it to the other side fine, it didn't do it to the point were I believe it could go as far as 750 yards, while with a bit better weather and some more time focusing, I could get the Oracle to hit the other side fine enough but only with a bit more pep to go.
"though it's not like I could really distingue the hot spot at that point, it just sort of splashs of light on the tree line, It might just because of the higher Kelvin of the HID bulb that allowed me to see the light hitting the trees at that point", because I defiantly wouldn't recommend the Oracle for long range throwing purposes such as this. I will repeat this for potential Oracle buyers: This light is not meant for long range throwing, it throws well, but that's not what the beam is for:shakehead, this light is like dragging an invisible car out into the woods and turning it's high beams on:D, you can't hit the end of a long road with a small hot spot but instead you can light the entire road up as far as one could possibly need to see:twothumbs.
"The Sun" cleared the field like it wasn't there at all and the Can light wasn't present.

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Throw to me is :

"To hurl or fling with great force or speed". :nana:

Ok, jokes aside, its like what some of the others have posted here. The utmost distance in which a light can illuminate an object that makes it discernible to me. Now you might ask my definition of discernible... it never ends... lol

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
"What is throw to you?"

How far the light can throw itself or how far you can throw the light?

Nowdays I am getting to be more partial to having a bigger spot and more spill. My throw lighs like the Raifire Spear, JetBeam JET-III Pro has small enough spots to be not as usefull for close/mediaum however they do have sufficiant spill to be useful if need be.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The letters should be CPF, its fitting isn't it?

People's own eyes sight would be a factor. If your not 20/20 with corrective then obviously you may not see that light reflect like someone with great vision at 100 meters.
Individual visual acuity is ceraintaly a factor but it is by no means the dominate factor in determining what any person may or may not be able to see.

Experience, practice and the ability to concentrate is far more important than mere visual acuity when it comes to seeing things in the real world. I've spent quite a bit of time and effort in teaching people how to see things that others cannot see and IMO the ability to concentrate is more important than all other factors.

The same is true of audio stimuli, although the effect is far more dramatic with visual stimuli -- because nearly all of us are all so dominantly visually oriented.

It's all about how much one is willing to practice and how great one's powers of concentration are. The best vision in the world won't get anyome anywhere without working on the ability to concentrate.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sun Umbra thats a pretty cool response in fact just an hour ago I had an experience just as mentioned light + concentration.

my wife said earler today she seen a snake in the yard so right at dusk i went searching.

Its not uncommon were I live but it was a copperhead more than likely and seen near wear my 2yr old loves to play.

Anyway I had a PD30 on max no matter how much light I put on leaves, brush, grass the hardest thing wasn't seeing but rather distinguishing between those things and what might be a brown snake.

Although I was looking fairly closely using lots of flood I can see how concentration can play a huge roll in throw.

Latest posts