What knife/knives do you EDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice edge. I use two bench stones from Norton, an India (medium) then a Hard Arkansas (trans), both with water. Works well on my kitchen knives, Heckles, even though the jump between grits is pretty big (240 to 2000). Use a piece of leather instead of a butchers steel for honing in between sharpening.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your good enough, and you can get that burr knocked down well enough , you can get away with that big gap. Not everyone has the patience, so nice work man.

Here's my ark

c081a6dca9f2f9ef9d53ab0833f27251.jpg

david57strat

Enlightened
If your good enough, and you can get that burr knocked down well enough , you can get away with that big gap. Not everyone has the patience, so nice work man.

Here's my ark

c081a6dca9f2f9ef9d53ab0833f27251.jpg

That is just jaw-droppingly beautiful. Work of art!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks man.

Chris Reeve
&
Devin Thomas

A match of the gods.

Stainless Damascus too! And another one that's just incredibly sharp. Hollow grind, thin edge, and this thing locks up like a vault, like ever crk.

Gold and silver? Pfft.

Titanium and steel baby.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't hit the entire edge with the translucent, it would take too long. I just change the angle a bit, say 15-18 degrees each side with the India then 20-22 with the Arkansas, makes a real small but fine edge with a little extra steel behind it for strength.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I do the same. That micro bevel really does make it slice that much better. Before I never believed in the micro bevel, but after using that ark , my sharp game went to the next level.

80159593acbd6266fc128282b9bfaee7.jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys must have spare time that I don't...
i use a medium Ark stone and clean up in between with a ceramic rod. Sharp enough to work well.

I believe the difference between a sheepsfoot and a santoku is the sheepsfoot has a straight cutting edge (similar to a wharncliffe) and the santoku has a belly, enabling it to be rolled on the cutting surface like a chef's knife.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
and here i was thinking that japanese santoku ones are definately not for the rocking cutting one is used in western kitchen knives.. they are for asian style choppin and slicin, not to have a belly to rock.

oh well. im not a chef. actually i never had a really good chefs knife yet. only fiskars and victorinox. and just startin to trying out the fiskars santoku (which is nothing like the real santoku knives i fondle at kitchen stores..) but i got it as a present week ago so i will be trying it out. :)

Berneck1

Enlightened
I try to be as minimalist as possible, but I still want a lot of functionality. I carry the Leatherman Skeletool CX. Out of all the Leatherman tools, I feel the knife in the Skeletool is by far the most substantial. Add to that the pliers and driver bits, and it's a great everyday tool.

Another reason I prefer the Skeletool is because I live in NYC. I have been stopped by police and various security who have examined the tool, and have always deemed it to be ok. If that exact blade was by itself it would be a problem to some. It's amazing how people react when I pull out a simple pocket knife vs pulling out the Skeletool. It's as if carrying a standalone knife automatically changes my intent somehow. When all I want is a good tool to use for the job at hand....

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys must have spare time that I don't...
i use a medium Ark stone and clean up in between with a ceramic rod. Sharp enough to work well.

I believe the difference between a sheepsfoot and a santoku is the sheepsfoot has a straight cutting edge (similar to a wharncliffe) and the santoku has a belly, enabling it to be rolled on the cutting surface like a chef's knife.
I can get a high polished razors edge on my apex in about 10min. Translucent stone, and strop probably takes 10 min combined. So 20 minutes.

Strop for maintenance.

I have a 2 year old, and work nights. Spare time is like a distant dream.

For things I love, I do somehow make time.
Flipping balisongs, and the occasional video review, or flipping video.

But I definitely wouldn't say I spend more time sharpening than a freehand stone. That's why I prefer the guided systems.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
Para military for awhile, then a contego, then a pretium (ferrumforge), now ckc slipjoint and my own. Have a CS on order though.

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
I most often carry a CRK small 21 insingo and a large 21 carbon fiber insingo, but also rotate in a BM 707, mini-grip, and also a Delica 4. Been through a bunch, including a 3" XM-18, but have settled on these as my favorites.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
I try to be as minimalist as possible, but I still want a lot of functionality. I carry the Leatherman Skeletool CX. Out of all the Leatherman tools, I feel the knife in the Skeletool is by far the most substantial. Add to that the pliers and driver bits, and it's a great everyday tool.

Another reason I prefer the Skeletool is because I live in NYC. I have been stopped by police and various security who have examined the tool, and have always deemed it to be ok. If that exact blade was by itself it would be a problem to some. It's amazing how people react when I pull out a simple pocket knife vs pulling out the Skeletool. It's as if carrying a standalone knife automatically changes my intent somehow. When all I want is a good tool to use for the job at hand....

Knife laws in some states are ridiculous, and NY is one of the worst. Glad I live in AZ.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Leatherman Squirt Ps4 on my key chain. perfect size for EDC. plus more strict in Canada. If the law permitted i would be carrying my SOG flash 2. i have a really hard time opening knives one handed because of double joint thumbs so the assisted release helps a lot.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Knife laws in some states are ridiculous, and NY is one of the worst. Glad I live in AZ.

I agree. Laws like the ones in NYC only serve to restrict law-abiding citizens.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mostly an EDCF Moonglow Spyderco Native 5, and occasionally rotate in a couple from Michael Morris. for dressier occasions, Kershaw Chive.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Laws like the ones in NYC only serve to restrict law-abiding citizens.

The restrictions try to keep knives out of the hands of kids, and to a degree it works. It also attempts to curtail knife possession in public as means of a weapon. When I was a teenager the easiest weapon to carry was one of those plastic handled box cutters with the extendable blades, they were cheap and every convenience store you went to sold them. Had a little more money then you could get a cheap butterfly/gravity knife, just as plentiful. In fact some stores had their front window covered with them and all other sorts of 'paraphernalia' geared for the urban teenager. No restrictions or penalties were enforced on these stores that sold to all regardless of age. The results of such needless to say mandated that some restrictions/enforcement commence to address the issues that resulted from the abundance and ease of access. Unfortunately the restrictions affect those with no ill intent equally but to say they only restrict the law abiding citizen alone wouldn't be accurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.