What single 18650 LED flashlight for helmet?

coiler

Newly Enlightened
Evening guys,

I'm after a single 18650 LED flashlight for my helmet, main criteria is lightweight (current Fenix pulls on the helmet too much,) as many lumens as possible, and around 3 hour runtime on high.

This is the only contender i've got so far, but can't find many in the UK, so some recommendations would be great...

Solarstorm SC02 2014 new mini LED flashlight

Also is the XM-L2 the best cree to look for, or is there a more efficient, brighter version now out?

Cheers :)

Link deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a point of order but a 3 hour runtime on high doesn't mean much. If a light is capable of 1000 lumens, you're not going to get 3 hours of runtime. If you need 2-300 lumens, that may be possible.

Also, what type of beam profile are you looking for? If you need to throw a beam way out there, you need a different light than if you want a big wall of light 10 or so yards out.

Without specifics, I might recommend something like a Zebralight SC600 or even SC62 are going to be very small (and relatively light). You would choose the former for a little more throw (at the cost of a little extra weight) or the latter for more flood (and a little lighter).

That said, a P60 host bored for 18650 like a SolarForce is not that heavy and as long as you don't go with a solid brass drop in like a Malkoff, you're not adding too much weight. Something like a Nailbender or Vinh drop in would give you the choice of output, modes, tint, color rendition, etc.

Good luck!

coiler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply GeoBruin, i'll check those models out!

I'm running this setup on the handlebars with 1500 claimed lumens (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...chy-3400mah-Battery-Box-First-outing-pictures ) I tried the same setup on the helmet but its cumbersome/awkward with a seperate battery pack in the rucksack and a cable to the helmet.

So need a torch on the helmet for direction and going round corners at speed, which doesn't get overpowered by the main beam on handlebars. Beam wise a larger wall of light closer would be more useful than distance beam.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roche f12 moded with 4C XML2 on Noctigon star, powered by a Qlite driver is what I use. 1 hr on high with a good cell but ionly use high at full speed. For a more spotty beam, a convoy S2 with a smooth reflector would be fine.

Latest posts