What things are you surprised people DON'T have?

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
This is a brilliant question! It's really got me thinking. Here are some things which surprise me, or I at least find curious:

It surprises me that some people don't have any tools around their home. So they can't even change a plug if a fuse blows - they need to ask for help, or even call someone out and pay them to deal with simple issues like that. Or spend hours raking around the cutlery drawer looking for a knife that doubles as a screwdriver!

Good manners and humility are sometimes shockingly absent, too. This can stand out like a sore thumb on CPF for example, where people are usually so well-mannered.

On a CPF-related theme, it has quite often surprised me on CPF how so many people don't seem to have headlamps, and won't even consider them, probably because they seem "dorky" to some. I am the other way around - brought up with headlamps (for backpacking), and only recently finding some value in handheld lamps. I think Doug at FlashlightReviews said it all when he realised how invaluable headlamps were during a blackout.

Finally, as an outdoor enthusiast, I have to say it never ceases to amaze me that some people will contemplate heading into the hills without a bar of Kendal Mint Cake firmly in their top pocket. I mean, really! What are they thinking?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
An exit strategy.
A sense of decency and respect for others.
Self-discipline.
An understanding that your child is not cute when "expressing himself" in public by screaming.
A good, working flashlight that can survive a drop on a hard surface.
A leatherman-style folding multi-tool.
A Band-Aid box that actually has Band-Aids in it! (Not paper clips, hair pins, etc).
A home computer with broadband internet access.
A basic understanding of electrical and fire safety.
A spare car key on another keyring in the same pocket.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
manners i try to always say please and thank you but i seldem here thm words

pest3125

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised by the number of "citified" folks living in rural areas without a single firearm to their name ... ;)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spankings.

I don't mean the padded leather handcuffs and riding crop type, either. This whole "don't abuse the children" thing has gotten way out of hand. Alot of the discourtesy and disrespect we see today could be nipped in the bud by a few good whacks while growing up. :whoopin:

Cheers. :buddies:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Diesel_Bomber said:
Spankings.

I don't mean the padded leather handcuffs and riding crop type, either. This whole "don't abuse the children" thing has gotten way out of hand. Alot of the discourtesy and disrespect we see today could be nipped in the bud by a few good whacks while growing up. :whoopin:

I tend to agree with this. Spare the rod and spoil the child.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I was in a store recently and a boy about 6 or so was making his sister of about 3 cry. The mother turned around and said "I'm only going to tell you 2 more times and then you're gonna get a time out." I couldn't believe it, she actually TOLD the boy he could do this 2 more times without getting in trouble, what kinda parenting is that??

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
MScottz said:
I was in a store recently and a boy about 6 or so was making his sister of about 3 cry. The mother turned around and said "I'm only going to tell you 2 more times and then you're gonna get a time out." I couldn't believe it, she actually TOLD the boy he could do this 2 more times without getting in trouble, what kinda parenting is that??

Geez. :ohgeez:A timeout? I'm sure that put the fear of god in him. :shakehead

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as we're doing human qualities, I can add something for at least for half the people on the Interenet: Functional literacy. I've had enough of watching people try to communicate using text message slang in emails.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
MScottz said:

EXACTLY what I mean.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
PhotonWrangler said:
Geez. :ohgeez:A timeout? I'm sure that put the fear of god in him. :shakehead
man lol i couldnt imagine my dad saying that .and there is no way as a kid id would of misbahaved i knew better

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
man lol i couldnt imagine my dad saying that .and there is no way as a kid id would of misbahaved i knew better

When I was a kid and I got out of line, I got smacked by my father. When I was a kid, I thought that meant that he hated me. Now I appreciate that he had the guts to apply a little mid-course correction (in all honesty it was a rare occasion though).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
PhotonWrangler said:
When I was a kid and I got out of line, I got smacked by my father. When I was a kid, I thought that meant that he hated me. Now I appreciate that he had the guts to apply a little mid-course correction (in all honesty it was a rare occasion though).
it realy scares me the role models that should be the parents i see today does that makes sence?what i mean is the parents i see a lot today are not seting good exaples for there kids and not gromming them to be good adults.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:

No joke! When I was growing up I knew that when my parents asked/told me to do something that I'd better hop to RFN. They weren't gonna ask again, they weren't gonna count to three. The only chance I got was the first time they said something, after that I'd earn a fat lip for my trouble. And still have to do what they asked. I sure didn't like it at the time, but I see the wisdom of it now.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Diesel_Bomber said:
No joke! When I was growing up I knew that when my parents asked/told me to do something that I'd better hop to RFN. They weren't gonna ask again, they weren't gonna count to three. The only chance I got was the first time they said something, after that I'd earn a fat lip for my trouble. And still have to do what they asked. I sure didn't like it at the time, but I see the wisdom of it now.

Yep. As it turns out both my my spouse and I grew up in fear of hearing the phrase "Do I have to take off my belt?!"
:aaa:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Late to this party and most ideas have already been expressed. I am surprised that most people don't care to question or understand the why and how of the world around them, objects used and so much taken for granted. There seems to be little wonder held by most folks. Understanding seems to be short on supply and with it I suspect comes lack of appreciation and respect. :shrug:

NOT HERE ON CPF THOUGH!! :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting how many different things have been mentioned -- and that I am in agreement with so many of them. It seems pretty obvious that many of the responding CPFers are sort of in shock that so many of these things that we feel are indispensable have no place in the lives of others. There are so many things that I couldn't narrow it down much but there is a conversation I had with a guy that just left me shaking my head in silent disbelief.

There is a flea market not far from my place. There used to always be one or two guys there with carts selling small tools -- you know, nice little pliers with different shapes of noses, odd forceps in different sizes, third hands for soldering, etc. I knew all of them and I checked them out every few weeks, trying to find one odd thing or another. I talked to them all as I shopped and often mentioned that I thought their stuff was pretty cool. One day I was talking to one of them about his business in this area that was mainly visited by tourists to the city and he said, "You know what people ask me most?" I shook my head and he said, "They smile and ask me, 'What do people do with these things, anyway?'"

Oh, brother.