whats the best wolf eyes rattlesnake setup?

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
im thinking of getting the rattlesnake and i've read for hours about lego this and lego that. there seems to be quite a few combos for them. im wondering which setup is tops and will make it perform its best, as in output times, lumens, beam quality, etc. thanks :D

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking for good runtime or just raw output?

I run my M90 Rattlesnake with the 3x18500 extender, a LF EO-13v and IMR18500s. 500+ lumens OTF easy. However I can only run it not more than 5-6mins due to heat. I've not tried the LF IMR-13v D36 lamp yet, but if my IMR-M6 setup is anything to go by (both rated at 1000 bulb-lumens), I reckon its gonna be way brighter than the EO-13v.

The beam of the EO-13v is oval but nicely even, but not as bad as a typical Surefire's which appears jagged and irregular.

I'll see if I can beam shot comparisons up in the next few days.

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys. im thinking good output with say 45-60 min runtime. also i think i want to stick with 18650 batts too. imr's are nice but i do want to use it for a decent length of time and 5-10 min isn't going to cut it. lol :twothumbs

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's giving up an awful lot of lumens though with that setup compared to the IMR-13.

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
im thinking about using the 168a tube extender and 3x18650 for the increased runtime and using a lf eo-13 13volt at 700 lumens. since the eo-13 is hard to come by right now how about an ho-13. does anyone use that setup? and are you happy with the output?
i know that by using the imr setup it would be insanely bright but i do need some decent runtime, at least min of 40 mins or it just becomes a novelty item. dont need one of those.

AlexLED

Enlightened
I'm currently usung 2x18650 with LF HO 9V and Wolf-Eyes Cells.
Runtime is not 60 mins, though, more like 35 to 45mins.
Output is very good, bulb id rated 380lm:
http://www.lumensfactory.com/d36_series_specification.htm

I just ordered the LF EO 13V and expect a bit more light. :devil:

@all
Using IMR cells will produce more light ?
Why's that ? Because of the lower internal resistance ?
Sounds tempting ... maybe I'll order some IMRs ... :devil:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that setup with 3xIMR18500s, the output is amazing around the same as a Surefire M4 with the HOLA MN61. However the EO-13v generates a lot of heat and runtime should not exceed 5mins. If you want proper runtimes, unfortunately you'll have to sacrifice some output by running the HO-9L and 2x18650s. The HO-9L is still a very bright setup for most outdoor uses. What were you planning to use the Rattlesnake for? Perhaps by telling us, we might have a better idea of what lamp combo might be best for your uses.

im thinking about using the 168a tube extender and 3x18650 for the increased runtime and using a lf eo-13 13volt at 700 lumens. since the eo-13 is hard to come by right now how about an ho-13. does anyone use that setup? and are you happy with the output?
i know that by using the imr setup it would be insanely bright but i do need some decent runtime, at least min of 40 mins or it just becomes a novelty item. dont need one of those.

AlexLED: IMR cells have lower internal resistance and will over drive the lamp more thus producing more output, but dramatically reducing lamp life. If you're ready for that, go IMR!!! I did, and have not regretted it yet.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexLED: IMR cells have lower internal resistance and will over drive the lamp more thus producing more output, but dramatically reducing lamp life. If you're ready for that, go IMR!!! I did, and have not regretted it yet.

Not if the cells and lamps are properly matched.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no longer into incans; I just sold my Rattlesnake 168A (18650) extender and EO-13 to a CPFer in Germany. I still have my Rattlesnake and seven or eight different D36 lamps: 9v, 12V, and a Wolf Eyes 13V. The Wolf Eyes 13V, from what I recall, delivers a pleasingly wide, bright, white beam and would make a great match for three 18500, Wolf Eyes 150A, or Pila 300 cells. In the 9V (2-cell) range, my favorite is the RICO Alpha-9, for the same reasons. The RICO draws about 1.2 amps.

The 700-lumen EO-13 is strictly for throw. Lumens Factory doesn't recommend it for continuous use.

Have you considered LED D36 drop-ins? I don't think NailBender's will work in Wolf Eyes, but have you looked into D36 LEDs from Wolf Eyes and Lumens Factory?

325addict

Enlightened
When you compare usefulness of the beam and runtime, nothing beats the original Wolf Eyes 9V lamp assembly. This one draws 1.4A and has a very, very usable beam-pattern. I tried 8 lights in the woods a while ago, among them Surefires and a MagCharger, but this Wolf eyes setup was the clear winner of them all :green:

Want it brighter? Then the LF EO-9L (450 Lumens) is the best choice IMHO. You still don't need any extender, still use the same batteries, you only have to give up some run time... which will still be around one hour with AW 2600mAh 18650s! You'll notice a different beam pattern (more throwy, spot-like) and more overall output. I tried them next to each other, the LF clearly is the winner in throw, and overall output is noticeably higher. It draws 2.4A however, compared to 1.4 for the original WE LA. So there is some difference in run time also, guaranteed :eek:

Timmo.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you compare usefulness of the beam and runtime, nothing beats the original Wolf Eyes 9V lamp assembly.

+1, bigtime. I have most of the WE and LF and other LA's on the market, and the WE 9V is my fave for general use. I like LF's higher output models better than their lower ones because the raw power makes up for a weaker spill, and the beam gets wider due to the larger filament.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as lego kit is concerned, you cant beat the Rattlesnake. Try the original WE lamps in both 9 and 13 V, they are good and maybe perfect for you. If you want to play and look for something brighter in the centre, then try the EO and IMR options from Lumens Factory you can run these on the normal Li-ion cells, IMR cells will not give you good run times (and I don't know how the IMR cells work in the original WE charger) ........btw, if you are using your light outside, in the rain or snow, (bad weather conditions) go with Incan lamps rather than LED's........and one more thing, if you want throw, you can get the M100 head for the Rattlesnake.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and btw: here's a very good comparison of the D36 bulbs !

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151611

I forgot how generous I was with my time before I switched jobs and traded a 1-hour round-trip commute for 3.8 hours!

Where are my results for the floody D36 lamps? I hope I posted a similar set of beam shots using Wolf Eyes original 9V, Wolf Eyes' newer 9V, and the RICO Alpha-9.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you compare usefulness of the beam and runtime, nothing beats the original Wolf Eyes 9V lamp assembly. This one draws 1.4A and has a very, very usable beam-pattern. I tried 8 lights in the woods a while ago, among them Surefires and a MagCharger, but this Wolf eyes setup was the clear winner of them all :green:

I've tried the old and new Wolf Eyes 9V, and if you like flood, they're both topped by the RICO Alpha-9. It has more total output (250-lumen rating) and a wider flood, while drawing just 1.2 amps. The second-generation Wolf Eyes was whiter; other than that, I'd take the RICO any day.

I'll put it another way: I own nine DIFFERENT D36 lamp assemblies. Earlier this week, I offered eight of them for sale to a CPFer who was buying my 168A extender. Guess which one wasn't for sale? The Rico.

Latest posts