Which Commercially Made P60 has Best Throw?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Let me come at this from a different angle....is there any maufacturer who sells an R2 drop in driven harder than 1.2 amps?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding your earlier questions involving SST-50's. The surface brightness is greater with a XR-E R2.

1200 lumen/5 (mmw) = 240 vs 270 lumen/1 = 270

I doubt that anyone is pushing a XR-E intentionally that must past it's spec (1.2 A).

There are probably direct dive DX pills that do more than that with fresh batteries.

I know this thread is about P60 hosts but is there some reason you are limiting yourself to P60? Increase the diamater of the reflector or lens is the easiest way to get more throw.

Noctis

Enlightened
Let me come at this from a different angle....is there any maufacturer who sells an R2 drop in driven harder than 1.2 amps?
Manufacturer? Nope, they wouldn't want to risk having hordes of people call in on the warranty because they were pushing the emitter beyond its spec.

Heck, I doubt even Nailbender would feel comfortable with pushing his modules that hard.

You might be going about this the wrong way though.

I have a Malkoff M60 which would technically be the most "throwy" of my modules, but I can barely notice the beam on the side of the building about 200 feet away. The M61 is more or less the same as well.

However, I can clearly see the hotspot of my SST-50/90 on the same building.

I think some people are too focused on the surface brightness and forget the simple fact that raw power(lumens) might actually count for something.

That said, the easiest way I got some throw was when I bought someone's old Z44 bezel that had an aspheric lens(actually a piano convex lens) installed. The beam looks funny with a reflector and has a square shape, but it throws further than anything else I used.

It goes even further with my dedomed SST-90 Direct Drive. Still, this is mostly "for fun". A square beam isn't too useful, and I'm near sighted anyway so I can't really make much details that far out.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have really narrowed down the options pretty tight. Regardless of whether it's custom or factory produced a SMO D26 reflector, is a SMO D26 reflector. They are all the same. The only option to you is the pill. And the Dereelight R2-1 mode is the strongest at 1.2 Amps. (mine measured 1.28 Amps) Last I looked (a month ago) everybody was out of stock. I had to buy mine direct from Dereelight in china. I bought it for an Aspheric project, but have no use for it now. It has maybe 10 minutes runtime on it. I have a pile of reflectors. PM me and I'll put it in the best throw reflector and ship it to you for $30 total. I just sold my M60 this week. It does not out-throw the Deree R2/D26.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great find!

I like that the optic is included in drop in and that it is actually in stock. Too bad Neo drives it at only one amp. At 1.2 amps I would think it would do better. I'd love to see the neo 1 amp R2 drop in as a beamshot next to the Malkoff M60...not that it's easy to FIND a Malkoff M60. That's Neo's big advantage.

I assume the R2 version out-throws the R4 version but the R4 is putting out a lot more lumens and an optic comes into play so I wonder which actually throws best?

neoseikan

Enlightened
Great find!

I like that the optic is included in drop in and that it is actually in stock. Too bad Neo drives it at only one amp. At 1.2 amps I would think it would do better. I'd love to see the neo 1 amp R2 drop in as a beamshot next to the Malkoff M60...not that it's easy to FIND a Malkoff M60. That's Neo's big advantage.

I assume the R2 version out-throws the R4 version but the R4 is putting out a lot more lumens and an optic comes into play so I wonder which actually throws best?

Emm. They are XP-E R3 V.s. XP-G R5. And XP-E R3 has a better throw.
While XP-G R5 version has a higher current: 1.5 amp.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Emm. They are XP-E R3 V.s. XP-G R5. And XP-E R3 has a better throw.
While XP-G R5 version has a higher current: 1.5 amp.

My mistake - sorry. I never heard of an R3 (duh). How does its size (led size) compare to an R2?

Do you have beamshots posted anywhere? Any idea of lux at 1m?

I just pmed the same questions to you so you may answer here if you prefer.

neoseikan

Enlightened
My mistake - sorry. I never heard of an R3 (duh). How does its size (led size) compare to an R2?

Do you have beamshots posted anywhere? Any idea of lux at 1m?

I just pmed the same questions to you so you may answer here if you prefer.

The XP-E R3 has a smaller optic than XR-E R2, while the die seems bigger than XR-E R2.
It throws worse than XR-E R2.

blkdawg

Newly Enlightened
You have really narrowed down the options pretty tight. Regardless of whether it's custom or factory produced a SMO D26 reflector, is a SMO D26 reflector. They are all the same. The only option to you is the pill. And the Dereelight R2-1 mode is the strongest at 1.2 Amps. (mine measured 1.28 Amps) Last I looked (a month ago) everybody was out of stock. I had to buy mine direct from Dereelight in china. I bought it for an Aspheric project, but have no use for it now. It has maybe 10 minutes runtime on it. I have a pile of reflectors. PM me and I'll put it in the best throw reflector and ship it to you for $30 total. I just sold my M60 this week. It does not out-throw the Deree R2/D26.

Interested! check ur pm

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
And you don't build one with R2 right?

Most all manufacturers have gotten away from throwers and gone for big lumen numbers. The XR-E R2 is still the throw-king in any given size reflector. It simply has more surface brightness than any of the newer LED's. It can also be reasonably pushed to 345 lumens with a decent heat sink. It's 1 mm/sq ..... so it makes 345 lumens per sq/mm. an SST-50 even at it's max of 5 Amps does 1250 lumens with 5 sq/mm = 250 lumens per sq/mm. Same with SST-90 @ 9 Amps...2250 lumens/9mm= 250.

Last edited:

sfca

Enlightened
And you don't build one with R2 right?

I was told the XR-E has been discontinued, so only the R2 can be found in market.
Perhaps Neo thinks that's not enough and that the XP-E and XP-G are a better choice for these drop-ins?

neoseikan

Enlightened
I was told the XR-E has been discontinued, so only the R2 can be found in market.
Perhaps Neo thinks that's not enough and that the XP-E and XP-G are a better choice for these drop-ins?

Yes. that's the reason too.
If people really want an ultra throw for surefire lights,
they can consider about some turbo heads. I am very interested in that too.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Which R2 were you referring to?

There is an R2 BIN available with XR-E, XP-E, and XP-G LEDs.

I meant XR-E but honestly whichever small emitter throws best. Has R2 XP-G ever been commercially available?

Last edited: