"Who brings a flashlight to class anyways?"

cubsfan555

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is kind of old, but there was this one time when I was telling my friend about "this website called CPF". He asked me what it was, so I told him it was a forum for flashaholics. His response: "A what???" :ohgeez:

Muskett

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes get asked, "It's daylight, what do you need a flashlight for??":ohgeez:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who brings a flashlight to class? Simple. The guy who can keep writing in the test that had a blackout (and a fire drill, but that was a separate annoyance).

As for the people who say "I'll just use my phone", fat chance of using it then!:nana:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol you guys will learn discretion, I don't bring out my EDC light unless it's really necessary and even then it's key chain light first. No negative comments so far.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ALWAYS have a flashlight on me!!

It is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

I can not tell you how many times having a flashlight on me has been a wonderful thing!! Like being in the Mall when the lights go out. OR when I was inthe Supermarket and the power went off.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ALWAYS have at least two lights on me. It's like someone's sigline I've seen here somewhere:

"Why do I carry a flashlight?

You would carry an umbrella if there was a fourty percent chance of rain today, right?

Well, there's a hundred percent chance of darkness tonight."

I love that logic!:D

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several years ago, I used a no-name 5mm led light in a college art history class. It was during an exam, and part of the tests involved looking at slides of art work projected on a screen. The professor turned the room lights waaaay down (I guess to make the screen easier to see) and it was so dark I could hardly see my paper. And I was near the classroom door. It must've been really bad for people deeper in the room.

I turned on the light and put it on my desktop, shining across the exam paper, so I could see what I was doing. After a few minutes of this the professor finally realized that nobody could see a damn thing and she turned the lights up some. :rolleyes:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
I do. Nitecore D10 R2 in my pocket and Olight M20 R2 in the backpack. Never had to use them, but I eager for this day.

hxsilva

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am a teacher and if you have ever been in a Starlab (Big dome used to project stars) with a bunch of third graders, you better have a flashlight.

Also, when the power went out during a storm, I walked over to my pack and pulled out my p2d-q5 with a diffuser. When the principal got around to my classroom it was the only one lit. So, "who brings a flashlight to class anyways?" I do.

Flashlight Enthusiast
When ever i have one on me i never have to use it, only when i forget to bring one do i need it.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I was at a party a while ago and at the beginning I recall hearing "who's playing with flashlights?" however after a horseshoe got lost in the woods it changed to "hey, can I borrow your flashlight?"

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
Yeah... I guess most people think its nerdy to carry a flashlight everywhere. My fiance tells me all the time im a nerd for carrying mine everywhere lol. We were visiting with her family today and her brother asked me if I bought anything new lately so I took out the surefire 6pd w/ m60 to show him. He was amazed with the brightness but then he asked how much I payed. I told him and he was like wow you payed that much for a flashlight? I use to be the same way though before I got on these forums I never used a flashlight. I think a good light is worth the money though specially a surefire you can have it forever. Now that I have a nice light im finding I use it a lot. Im sure most people think im a nerd for carrying it everywhere though or think your afraid of the dark haha.
Now that I think of it what actually got me into lights was buying the tlr-1 for my pistol. I found myself using it around the house a lot free from a weapon of course. I then got on these forums looking for a nice hand held light.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
These days, i let my friends explain, they have used my lights/panadols/eye drops/leatherman/band aids enough to respect WHY i carry around all this stuff.

Crenshaw

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great way to shut somebody up, especially over there. But is it true? Did the lights go out and they didnt even have any emergency lights in the stairwells? Sounds really bad.

I may not be American, in fact i have lived in Singapore my whole life. I did make it a point to read up about the 9/11 tragedy. There was a 9/11 Commission Report that you can read here

you can do a search for the term "flashlight" and see what pops up, but let me just quote something for everyone here.

"Preparedness of Individual Civilians. One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike. Clearly, many building occupants in the World Trade Center did not take preparedness seriously. Individuals should know the exact location of every stairwell in their workplace. In addition, they should have access at all times to flashlights, which were deemed invaluable by some civilians who managed to evacuate the WTC on September 11"

I learned this my own way sometime back in 2007. At that time there were a number of earth tremors in Sumatra and the aftershocks were felt in certain parts of Singapore, the building i was working in (Gateway for the benefit of my fellow Singaporeans) was hit and the building was literally swaying. We had to evacuate down the emergency staircase and the lights went out (think a circuit breaker tripped) and the emergency lights werent working 100% i.e. some were, some weren't.

It was at that point that i was thankful that my Sony Ericsson k700 had a built in LED that could be turned on and used as a torch (easily 10-15 lumens if not more).

It was after that that i got my Ultrafire C3 and a few months later my Jet I MkIIx.

As for carrying lights to class? Heck i would if i was still in school, i would have had great fun as we used to study late at night on campus and there were many great dark areas to explore like the canteens and all.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may not be American, in fact i have lived in Singapore my whole life. I did make it a point to read up about the 9/11 tragedy. There was a 9/11 Commission Report that you can read here

you can do a search for the term "flashlight" and see what pops up, but let me just quote something for everyone here.

"Preparedness of Individual Civilians. One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike. Clearly, many building occupants in the World Trade Center did not take preparedness seriously. Individuals should know the exact location of every stairwell in their workplace. In addition, they should have access at all times to flashlights, which were deemed invaluable by some civilians who managed to evacuate the WTC on September 11"

I learned this my own way sometime back in 2007. At that time there were a number of earth tremors in Sumatra and the aftershocks were felt in certain parts of Singapore, the building i was working in (Gateway for the benefit of my fellow Singaporeans) was hit and the building was literally swaying. We had to evacuate down the emergency staircase and the lights went out (think a circuit breaker tripped) and the emergency lights werent working 100% i.e. some were, some weren't.

It was at that point that i was thankful that my Sony Ericsson k700 had a built in LED that could be turned on and used as a torch (easily 10-15 lumens if not more).

It was after that that i got my Ultrafire C3 and a few months later my Jet I MkIIx.

As for carrying lights to class? Heck i would if i was still in school, i would have had great fun as we used to study late at night on campus and there were many great dark areas to explore like the canteens and all.

thanks goodness i was at home playing Diablo II at that point, i remember feeling those tremors and wondering what was going on. This was also before my CPF phase. Thank goodness ive now found equipped.org and cpf

Crenshaw

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it occured to me I don't have a single flashlight weak enough to do a pupil check. they have to be able to look at a point (like your nose) while you shine the light in their eyes. even my X1 is too bright.
Late hit, I know, but this is why I put my E1W in my first aid kit. It may be just a bit on the bright side for pupil checks, but I have it, and the long shelf life of a CR123 cell with LOTC on the E1 makes it pretty reliable.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I carry a light in class daily, usually 1 but sometimes 3 if it looks like its gonna rain (we have power grid problems out here....every time it rains it seems like the lights go out)