"Who brings a flashlight to class anyways?"

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
must've been a pretty thick optic cable:naughty:...ones i saw in my physics class is hair thin....I can shove about 5 in my laser pointer window before I can see the effect:ohgeez:
This light pipe wasn't really a fiber, it was a long 15mm diameter clear plastic or glass (not sure which) rod wound into a coil. Each internal reflection throughout the entire length was clearly visible -- a very interesting display. Today my professor used the light I sold him several times in order to see his way around, read things, or highlight things whenever he had the lights off during a demonstration.

Last edited:

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
ICUDoc said:
flashlightpoor
With a P1d-CE or D-mini, evrn Sim-mans pupils constrict. With an SSC run at 1000mA they curl up real small. Poimanently.
Imagine that terrible voice he has crying " My eyes! My eyes!" Then "I feel better now"!

[A little off-topic gag for all the Sim-Man and Resusci-Annie lovers out there....]

Yeah, it occured to me I don't have a single flashlight weak enough to do a pupil check. they have to be able to look at a point (like your nose) while you shine the light in their eyes. even my X1 is too bright.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ahve always carried a light on me especially when a friend of mine decide to go to kent falls out of the blue, and when we arrived at night, my friend went up the hill ahead of me and i went up alone which sucked cause all i had was my cell phone and zippo to light the way after that day i always have a light on me plus extra batteries

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
Today my professor used the light I sold him several times in order to see his way around, read things, or highlight things whenever he had the lights off during a demonstration.

You told your professor about CPF, didn't you :whistle: :p

Good work!

bray

Newly Enlightened
see i dont understand why someone doesnt always carry a light... i find them quite useful even during the day

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually stop the conversation with something like, "Have you read the reports about people in the towers on 9/11?" Some estimates state that more than half of those who died might have gotten out alive if they had been able to see to get to the stairways and down the stairways effectively.

The firemen that survived talk about how people flocked to their lights hoping to be guided out.

To misquote someones sig line, "If there is a chance of rain, people carry an umbrella. There is 100% chance of dark tonite, do you have a flashlight?"

Bill

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
I usually stop the conversation with something like, "Have you read the reports about people in the towers on 9/11?" Some estimates state that more than half of those who died might have gotten out alive if they had been able to see to get to the stairways and down the stairways effectively.

The firemen that survived talk about how people flocked to their lights hoping to be guided out.

Bill

That's a great way to shut somebody up, especially over there. But is it true? Did the lights go out and they didnt even have any emergency lights in the stairwells? Sounds really bad.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the emergency lights failed as well.

It's one of those things that everyone wants to point fingers about--Who was responsible to make sure they worked, the owner, the Port District, maintenance, emergency services?...etc.

Bill

Aepoc

Enlightened
Not only do i bring lights to class, but I usually bring my ROP high to exams. My exams are at night and I usually torch everyone on my way to and from. I get the same reaction "who brings a flashlight to class".

About a week ago someone was pissing me off in class so I turned the emergency strobe on my HDS EDC Ultimate 60 and pointed it his way... He shut up.

VWTim

Enlightened
I actually got to use my L4 in class the other day. We're giving a presentation on our Thermo/Fluids lab, Powerpoint. And the build in computer in the classroom is burried under a desk, behind a door with downward facing USB ports. So one guy struggles for a sec, so I light up the area with my L4 on low (McE2s) He thanks me and we finish the presentation. Although this is in the college of Engineering, so Gerbers on belts aren't that far our of hte ordinary. And there's only 4-5? girls graduating with me with me this year.

highorder

Enlightened
I have worked a few places with co workers that like to flip the lights off in the restroom when they know you're taking a dump. they must be disappointed when I click on my L123T

martonic

Enlightened
Hand it to her and in a smooth voice reply "check it out, baby..." glance at her eyes and smile...

bobbyt

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
paid $300 for a pair of sunglasses:ohgeez:

lol I actually own some maui jims. Not quite $300 tho lol. I own a pair of these because I work outside and was starting to get UV damage in corners of my eyes. No doubt some price inflation going on (with all glasses) but maui does have great polarized lenses and one of the few wrap-around RX-styles I could choose from. People pay more for ipods, headphones, cell phones. All depends on your priorities. I saw my eyesight problems as a priority over my ipod problems.

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
That's a great way to shut somebody up, especially over there. But is it true? Did the lights go out and they didnt even have any emergency lights in the stairwells? Sounds really bad.
It IS true, and you can actually see video of the impact flashlights had on evacuating people in the documentary made by those two French filmmakers who happened to be with the NYFD first responders, and happened to catch the only known footage of the first plane hitting.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0312318/

It's really quite a compelling documentary if you haven't seen it, and the footage of the interior of the WTC is incredible. Not only did they happen to capture the only known footage of the first plane crashing, but they also recorded the only footage of the rescue operation that took place inside the Towers that day. I highly recommend everyone see it.

Interestingly, at one point the light from the camera in the lobby of the building is the primary light the firefighters are using! The smoke was so dense that the lights they had were just completely useless. Surprisingly, many of the emergency responders appeared to have Maglites, if they had any lights at all (!).

As bwaites stated, most of the emergency lighting failed in the two main tower buildings. Seems like a lot of things failed that day.

Sorry, I know this is way off topic. But then again, maybe not. Perhaps someone was in a job training class or an internship on the 90th floor and their E2D saved a life. We'll never know all the stories from that day.

Illum

Flashaholic
flashlightpoor said:
Yeah, it occured to me I don't have a single flashlight weak enough to do a pupil check. they have to be able to look at a point (like your nose) while you shine the light in their eyes. even my X1 is too bright.

I think thats all a stock solitaires good for...retinal examination without "OW MY EYES!"

bwaites said:
To misquote someones sig line, "If there is a chance of rain, people carry an umbrella. There is 100% chance of dark tonite, do you have a flashlight?"
Bill

your quoting Flakey's sig
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=12214
"you carry an umbrella if there is a 50% chance of rain, right? Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight." -saunterer

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

This is one reason I ALWAYS use to bring a small keychain light with me to the bathroom.

This one kid (who i'm going to the lil *******s wedding next month lol) did it everyday to everyone!!! I had my light so I knew I was safe...

this was in 2001 and I had a "give-away" Nextel cheapie... Now I have my A19 and all is well i n the -ish room LOL

highorder said:
I have worked a few places with co workers that like to flip the lights off in the restroom when they know you're taking a dump. they must be disappointed when I click on my L123T