"Who brings a flashlight to class anyways?"

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something along those lines happened to me this week at work. A co-worker was moving her computer around and reconnecting the cables and asked "Do you have any cable ties"? I pulled out my wallet and pulled out two of them that were in the coin holder. She then asked "WHY do you carry around cable ties in your wallet"? My answer was quick "Because people like you ask people like me for cable ties all the time".

She then needed duct tape (wrapped around plastic card in wallet) a knife to cut the duct tape (Boker WharCom in wallet) and a flashlight to see behind the desk (FF3 on keychain) and a screw driver to tighten a few screws (Leatherman Micra on keychain) and other various things.

Later that day I was in a meeting and she saw me take apart my keychain "spy capsule" and remove the motrin inside. She started laughing again but I just grinned.

VWTim

Enlightened
RCatR said:
I usually keep my E2D in my backpack.
While doing a laser lab in my physics class we needed a flashlight....one of the girls in my group beat me on the draw with her own E2D

Sometimes the people you think are least likely to be carrying a surefire just happen to have one

I likely would have proposed on the spot. Even if in a half jokingly tone. I always have a light on me here at school. Actually if you count my photon clones I have 3-5 on me at any time. I've found that my friends who know I have lights use them more often in lab.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
VWTim said:
I've found that my friends who know I have lights use them more often...
Great point Tim - everyone who knows that I carry a flashlight (ok... flashlightS) at one point or another asks me to use it... from my company's IT guy to look under a desk, to my girlfriend to look under her dresser for a cat toy.

It's been said here many times before, but I'll say it again: people don't know how usefull a flashlight is until they start carrying one with them.

:) john

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Cuso said:
Yeah the all say the same thing until they drop their cellular or keys at the local movie theater...then youre the hero.

Hey, I was the movie theater hero yesterday :)

We were leaving and I was waiting for my wife to get out of the ladies room. I see a man walking towards me with one of the ushers. He was complaining that they had no flashlight, telling the usher that they really should have flashlights. I follow them into the room and he is obviously looking for something. I whip out my 6P and shine it in the area and find a pair of sunglasses under a seat. I ask if he is looking for those glasses and he says yes and thanks me.

Flashlights FTW!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually gotten to the point where, when and if the lights go out, I'm tempted to adopt the "let 'em sink or swim" approach. I mean, I have bailed out so many people for so very long that I want to get that t-shirt that says, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt... then it's freakin' hilarious!" Nobody gets it that being at least a wee bit prepared is important.

Is there a professor in the behavioral sciences who is on this forum who could be willing to shake up (wake up?) a class by asking them how safe they feel in their day to day life and then simply turn out the lights in the room (well, perhaps in a somewhat deliberate and dramatic fashion) and then for a few minutes (maybe for only three or four) do...

absolutely nothing?

Their reactions would no doubt be interesting.

prof

Enlightened
chmsam said:
Is there a professor in the behavioral sciences who is on this forum who could be willing to shake up (wake up?) a class by asking them how safe they feel in their day to day life and then simply turn out the lights in the room (well, perhaps in a somewhat deliberate and dramatic fashion) and then for a few minutes (maybe for only three or four) do... absolutely nothing?

Interesting idea. I'm in computer information systems, however. Most of my students (well, the majors anyway) don't find it odd to carry flashlights or other tools. However, I'd never shut all the lights off in the room--too much chance of injury.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCatR said:
...one of the girls in my group beat me on the draw with her own E2D...

I'm in love!

I always bring a flashlight to class. I also conduct alot of health and safety training. When I do I always have a flashlight strapped to my hip. A subtle message to my students to always be prepared.

kelmo

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Us flashoholic's get those kind of comments all the time. But guess who they come see first when the power goes out :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah comments of those who are jealous of our obvious superiority are always amusing!

But anyway seriously... this is one of the true signs of a flashaholic. We provide light anytime there is a need for it.
Count me in as one who always had a light in class (or anywhere for that matter) starting from around High School thru the present day.

mudhole

Newly Enlightened
my flashlight crack habit is now accepted during classes now when the lights are low,I get people bugging me for my A2's or KROMA so they can use the low reds,or whatever color so that they can finish assignments for the next class.It's really funny when you hand em one of the hundred lumen plus lights and they turn it on and freak:lolsign:

mdocod

Flashaholic
The folks I work with like to have a laugh on account of the flashlight hobby, but never enough of a laugh to suggest insult. I do take my EDCing to a somewhat laughable level(That even I know is probably overkill). Often having 3-5 lights on me, 2 of which are 200+ torch lumens. lately I've even started keeping a headlamp close. (in the car)... Which has already come in handy on 2 occasions for fixing things at work. People might think you look goofy with the headlamp on, but they don't laugh when you're the one fixing the *important whatever* *saving the day* while they stand on the sidelines and look unprepared.

great stuff.. especially the girl who asks who brings a flashlight to class, while all the lights are out.

definitely too many shoes.

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
RCatR said:
one of the girls in my group beat me on the draw with her own E2D
My wife EDCs a lod-ce to class and everywhere else she goes. As well as pepper spray on campus and just qualified for her concealed carry permit for off campus.
xyxgun.gif

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
funny thing happened last week. i work at a warehouse with only about 4 huge windows and a lot of skylights and a storm was passing through. and then what only I was prepared for happened, a power outage. i quickly took my l2dce out and started loooking for other co-workers. it was kind of funny, everyone else could barely get around with those led shake lights. their so dim compared to the fenix.

i'm still learning all these flashlight terms. i pretty much gottem all down except for EDC. what does that mean??

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great thread TODAMFAST. I really enjoyed the story. Some girls may huff at you at first, but down deep they really think it's pretty cool. When they get to know you, then they want to carry a flashlight too and will be asking for your advise.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
Great thread TODAMFAST. I really enjoyed the story. Some girls may huff at you at first, but down deep they really think it's pretty cool. When they get to know you, then they want to carry a flashlight too and will be asking for your advise.

Really? When I have had girlfriends, none of them liked the amount of stuff I had in my pockets, and I didn't half of what I have now, or what some of ther others here do. The torches don't seem to have done it for them either, perhaps I am meeting the wrong sort of women :whistle:

It is nice to have a torch when it is required for something like that. I get fed up when people expect it though :thumbsdow

Illum

Flashaholic
DonShock said:
And it doesn't matter how many times you come to the rescue, you're still the strange one for carrying all that stuff all the time.

I getthe same thing when Im trying to find my cell phone from my pocket and starts laying lights out on the table, then pocket knifes, then keys, then multimeters before I find my phone and my gaze meets stares:ohgeez: