Who uses a 123 twisty for their LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahoney

Enlightened
I mostly use either the 2AA twisty or the 123 twisty on all my LS units. Once in a while I'll use a 1AA twisty but my 123 TSPs are never used. I think the twisty packs are more reliable and the Kroll turns on in the pocket a bit too easily for my taste. The only battery issues I encountered were when I took a 123 battery from one twisty and tried to use in another one. The shape of the nib in the bottom of some twisties will dent the battery so it won't work in some of the other twisties. Some recent 123 twisties are a bit too long to work with the older ARC LS heads unless you add a washer or other conductive shim to the bottom of the battery pack. But even with these minor issues, I still prefer the twisty packs.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
No question, the twisty is better. When I got my LSL-P, i used the clicky, and took it camping. I put it in my pocket, and a couple hours later, I went to use it only to find out that it had been on in my pocket long enough to be in moon mode. Boy, was I mad. It had just gotten dark, I hadn't even used it yet, and the battery was toast. I got a twisty pack and haven't looked back. Does anyone else think that the LS with a clicky look kinda like a lipstick? Not exactly the "look" I was going for. With a twisty, one of my friends thought it was a shotgun shell. Much better.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have EDCed my Arc LS with both the clickie and the twisty and for a while I couldn't make up my mind, but now I have definitely settled down in the "twisty" camp. I have one of the coveted narrow HA twisties that is a great match with my LS head. I absolutely LOVE it. I had the clikie activate in my pocket once. YIKES! That thing got HOT. And burned up most of the life in the battery, too.

The twisty makes the LS into a piece of art work. When I put the twisty on my LS, my wife tells me it's her favorite of my lights. I like that it will not accidentally activate, and that it is smaller, and that it makes my LS feel better to my hand. I have never had any problem with different battery brands. They have all worked. I have never crushed any batteries, either.

I too wish that Peter would make a run of narrow HA P-123's. He could charge $35 each and sell out the entire special run of twisties. I understand why he switched over to the clickie--or at least I think I do--and I appreciate the advantages of the clikie, but why not keep the "twisty" faction supplied too? Sell them "as-is" with no guarantee that they will work with any particular battery and so on--fine. But why not sell them? I recently just bought an Arc LSH-S on B/S/T almost solely because it came with a narrow HA twisty. It's going to be a Christmas present for my brother. I can tell you that I would rather have bought an LS straight from Arc if I could have also gotten it with a HA twisty to boot.

Here's another thought: perhaps we could organize a "group buy" for hard anodizing a batch of the bare or chem koted twisties. Is there someone who could do that? Is type III HA hard to do and hard to come by? Because I have seen many "WTB: HA narrow Arc 123 twisty" posts in B/S/T. There's definitely a demand for them right now.

Also, I think that the foam washer works better in the head, despite a thread I started earlier. The reason is mainly that there is still space left for the foam in the head when the battery is making contact. In the tail, the space is very small at contact, especially with SF 123's. This means that you need a softer, thinner foam, and it doesn't work as well or have as good a feel as a thicker, stiffer foam in the head. I'm sure everyone but me knew this which is why almost no one replied to my thread. Ah well, now I know it too.

Anyway, the twisty is great. Simple and elegant and reliable.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
I prefer Twisty but i like the Kroll also, for some tasks Twisty is better but for other tasks push-power packs are better .....
i need both .
A month ago i bought a slim HA twisty at pockelights.com.
I have 6 123 Twisty
I do not have 2 Twisty that are identical !

fa73e537.jpg

LS1 with fat twisty and LS2 with slim twisty.... nice
fa73e532.jpg

LS2 with fat and LS1 with slim...not so nice...
fa73e52f.jpg

kaseri

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Here's another thought: perhaps we could organize a "group buy" for hard anodizing a batch of the bare or chem koted twisties. Is there someone who could do that? Is type III HA hard to do and hard to come by? Because I have seen many "WTB: HA narrow Arc 123 twisty" posts in B/S/T. There's definitely a demand for them right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in for at least two! Let get this going! Maybe Peter will be willing to have them anodized if we can orginize a group buy.

BillM

Newly Enlightened
I just changed out the clickie for a twistie about 2 months ago. Never had a problem with the clickie other than it needed a quick and easy cleaning once. I EDC'd the clickie for most of the year and never had a problem. Still in all, once I tried EDC with the twistie in my LSH, I stuck with it. It is a lot smaller in my pocket and I love the flat tail so it will stand up easily. I keep the clickie on my other LSH mostly for outdoor activities. When I need light fast, my hands are cold or one hand has a tool, the clickie is better for me. It's nice to have both!

Bill

rodmeister

Enlightened
Twisty is the way to go for compactness - the LS was designed as a pocket light. I gave away my clickie end to a friend who prefers it over his twisty.

For EDC, twisty rules. For frequent use, as a house light, or a shop light, clickie convenience wins, but then it's hardly different from the Surefire L4.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, If you are willing to wait until late January or February. I will see about getting 100 of them Hard Anodized.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
I would be in for two of these. I really think I should get a discount however. After all, I did start this thread...(joking)

bigred

Newly Enlightened
I think once word gets around that these are available, you could sell 100 within a few weeks, maybe less. Be warned however that once they are all gone, you will receive requests to get additional units... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm, I have about 100 in raw aluminum. I think I will do this in late January. I just have a project right now that really needs my attention and money. But I will see about doing this.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB,

Bless you! That would be AWESOME! I posted in the "show of hands" thread about how many I would want, depending on price. Please do this. Pleeeease!!!!!

Nathan S

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
Ok, If you are willing to wait until late January or February. I will see about getting 100 of them Hard Anodized.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great! I'd take two, thanks.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should know that hard anodizing those units will be a challenge because of the masking issues involved. There is a good possibility that the units will be ruined in the attempt. Just a FYI.

We discontinued the P-123 packs because of reliability issues. Strangely enough, telling people that the packs are not recommended makes people less likely to complain about them. Human nature being the silly goose that it is.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I intend to move our switch/pack technology steadily forward. The LS4/LS5 will have a more reliable software switched power circuit. We may be able to provide a tail-stand version at a later time if demand is sufficient. Be aware though that many of the features would be difficult to use with a twist pack. A shroud may work but the pack would be larger. Ergonomics would pay for utility.

Btw, I will be auctioning the last of the P-123s probably before the new year.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.