Why do you use handles instead of your real name?

LukeK

Enlightened
Eh I used to have a 'handle' or screen name but then I got sick of having a very lame nick. So, obviously, I changed to LukeK. It's easy enough to remember for email addresses and it's to the point. I don't care if people know my first name, but I won't, of course, give out my last name.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why do you use handles instead of your real na

I guess the internet being informal it seems like the thing to do. Where else can you have people calling you by a made up name and not have it sound too silly. Plus like Sasha says the anonymity is a bonus.

It's also a way to be someone else, or have another identity, if you choose that path. The people here definately seem real, but other forums I read there are definately people who would not act like they do in the forum if you were to meet them in real life.

ksbman

Flashaholic*

I have never liked calling people by their nicknames.

I suppose that comes from being bigger than everyone else as a kid and ending up with nicknames I didn't like.

My username has been the same ever since I could afford to be on the Internet. I guess that was around 1994, when ISP's stopped charging by the minute.

<font color="red">k</font>eith <font color="red">s</font>. <font color="red">b</font>****<font color="red">man</font>

highlandsun

Enlightened

Well, since I've gone thru the rigmarole of filing an AKA/fictitious business name and all that, "Highland Sun" is interchangeable with my real name anyway. And since I went thru the effort of getting a registered US trademark for this name, I use it everywhere to provide evidence that I am actively engaged in interstate commerce under this name. Otherwise someone could claim that I've abandoned the mark, which would invalidate the registration, and that would really **** me off.

Empath

Flashaholic

A Google search for "James Davis"
It has about 55,000 hits.

A Google search for "Jim Davis"
It has about 91,300 hits.

If I used my actual name, I suppose I could hide pretty well amidst such a horde.

There aren't as many with the name "Empath"

At one time, I could do a DejaNews search on Empath, and only my postings and references to me would appear. Now, so many have adapted it, that's no longer the case.

In the old CB days, a handle was expected. Using one's real name was highly improper. I had two handles, depending on my activity and circumstances. Generally I was called "Loco". At other times I was the "Oklahoma Passion Person". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Times change; some might still say Loco is fitting, but Passion Person isn't as frequently suggested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like to use a handle for security, but if I PM or do business with another CPF member I use my real name.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:In the old CB days, a handle was expected. Using one's real name was highly improper. I had two handles, depending on my activity and circumstances. Generally I was called "Loco". At other times I was the "Oklahoma Passion Person". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Times change; some might still say Loco is fitting, but Passion Person isn't as frequently suggested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Back in the days of CB, I had one handle: "Byte Bandit".
Everyone knew who that was, and where the transmission was originating from.

And on BBSs, I generally used one of two handles:
"Telephony" or "Urine Potato".
Depended on the nature of the BBS I was on as to which handle I used, but it was virtually always one of those two.
I'm only on 1 BBS these days, and "Telephony" is my user name on it.

I think I've been "Telephony", "Guilmon" and "The LED Museum" on this forum.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, for me...this way if I make a fool of myself...no one knows who I am.

Mr. Badbeam

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'm an old-school computer BBS user. Back in the '80s you dialed around on different people's BBS's and just used a handle for some anonymity. A lot of the boards typically had some amount of software piracy or other seemy things going on in parts of the board, so insulating that from your "respectable" life was, and still is, desirable. I was very active with other Commodore 64 users in sharing software, so I had a handle I used for years. I only in the last couple of years I adopted my current handle. I think it fits me better.

Also, I page through my local phone book, and there at least 5 other people listed with my exact name. Likely there are several dozen in the surrounding communities. I get phone calls from people looking for one of those others regularly. BF Hammer just is not nearly as common as Chris - anywhere. What's really cool is some people look at the name and are not quite sure if it is made-up or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
A Google search for "James Davis"
It has about 55,000 hits.

A Google search for "Jim Davis"
It has about 91,300 hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I can see how the instances of using your full name would add up. When I search for my name, I get only a few hits --and they're references to my son, who is a Junior. Although I show my first name and my last name, I don't show them together.

Paul (Somebody)

mvario

Newly Enlightened

Uh oh, busted. My real name is Running Deer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

-Mike

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
maybe some want to show something from their personalities? handles are more telling and intimate than names.
btw I am not fons of our western naming system, IMHO the Indians are doing way better by giving the real name only when the youngsters become real men and have shown their true self.
when I compare "Running Deer" to "Bernhard", I am sorry, but my so-called "name" is a pale nothing in comparison. Just by hearing "Running Deer" I have a good Picture of the guy in my mind, whereas "Bernhard" could as well be "Roy" and no one would notice.
That is why they say "names have power". Never understood that until recently. Our names do not have power. Sad.
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. Also, a handle can reflect an aspiration, vocation, or personal passion.

Tomas

Banned

Doing a Google web search for my name using both the "Tomas" and "Thomas" variants I come up with a grand total of 31 hits. Of those 31, one is about me.

Some real names are more unique than others.

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened

Because when I joined forums everybody had a handle.
I joined the crowd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I did a Google search of my real name (in quotes, so both first and last name must appear together and in the correct order), it gets "about" 22,000 hits. But when I search for my CPF handle the same way, Google gets "about" 376 hits.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

For a few years many moons ago I was a "big brave" in the Ojibwa tribe of our local YMCA's Indian Guides program. I called myself Flying Turtle (my son was Sunset Salamander). Given the creative monikers I saw here at CPF, I jumped at the chance to use it again.

SFR

Newly Enlightened

... the witness protection program prohibits me from using my real name.

... I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

... I'm an 80's child and I miss "BJ and The Bear."

... I have to stay one step ahead of the Ayatollah at all times.

Empath

Flashaholic

The internet is not a safe place to distribute personal information without knowing who you're dealing with, and what they're going to do with the information. As a general rule, don't give any more personal information about yourself than is absolutely necessary. That's a general rule. It doesn't mean that you can't share once you come to trust someone.

Most people when registering on CPF, know little of how trustworthy CPF is with their personal information. They've no idea as to whether that information will be sold or used in a manner not to their benefit. As a result they register with the bare minimum of information required. A login name, and email address, and a screen name is generally about all you'll see in the profiles of new members. Their email address, you might see and you might not. The address you see will often be a yahoo, hotmail, or some other more "disposable" address than their ISP email address. If you check members that's been here awhile, you might find a little more information, since they've come to trust CPF. But their handle is what they usually started with at a time they hadn't yet developed the trust. As a result, they stay with the name by which they're known.

It's the wise thing to do. Never use your given name or other information that could assist in providing personal information in Usenet, IRC, and unfamiliar websites. In some places, such as usenet and IRC channels, there never comes a time that it's trustworthy. Carefully evaluate the wisdom in leaving information in forums and websites. Even your name. Use a handle, unless the trust is there.

The internet itself was designed as if everyone was absolutely trustworthy. Unfortunately, they're not.