Why do you use handles instead of your real name?

1581zebra

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why do you use handles instead of your real na

mine is vocational... 1581 is our facility number at work, and zebra was my handle on our radios. we just use nextels now, but we still use handles.
a neighbor! cool! how are you flying turtle?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I think Bernhard hit on some essence as well as the security issue. I'm not veiled very well but I'm not that sharp either. I always like to give a benefit of doubt, even when I doubt the benefit. Life's to short and so am I, come to think of it.

I think a name earned or chosen can be more telling than a tag given at birth. As an admitted and accused gizmologist and owning the domain, McGizmo seemed like the right name and easy to remember. I had never been a member of a forum and when coaxed into CPF I didn't see any *real* names so I figured it wasn't proper to use your real name. There was this guy named Darell but his sig line said EV Nut so I didn't know what to make of him. Actually I still don't. He claims it's his real name but I never saw ID.......

- Don

LightChucker

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies to this question.

To be cool like everyone else, I think I am going to have to come up with my own handle. I have some ideas already. You all will be the first to know.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks again,

Chuck

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol i genelry dont trust.so i like useing a alaias.but my real name is edd or eddie.

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
Because my real name is way too identifiable. I am quite confident that I'll be the only one with my name even when ten billion people will be on this planet.

John Q Public it ain't.

JackBlades

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Red-T said:
Because my real name is way too identifiable. I am quite confident that I'll be the only one with my name even when ten billion people will be on this planet.

John Q Public it ain't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome back, Elvis! We missed you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JackBlades said:Welcome back, Elvis! We missed you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!

Actually, try again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Elvis

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
LOL, the way that guy sounds, he probably would use his real name...

Hmm, that guy is on a dutch site, and Google turns up a Hans-Christian Zierleyn as being at the University of Lancaster. I'm not sure whether I'd accept that distinction as being "unique". But that is arguable, of course. And maybe it's the same person...

Red-T

Newly Enlightened
Oh, by that I do not want to imply that I think I'm the only one with a unique name.

Just that there is no other person with my name.

But in all honesty, who cares. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I use my first name at the bottom of my posts... and in emails or PMs with CPFers, I use my full name. Of course with some investigation, you can find my real name somewhere... all it takes is one click...

Dan ____

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Red-T said:
Oh, by that I do not want to imply that I think I'm the only one with a unique name.

Just that there is no other person with my name.

But in all honesty, who cares. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have added a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif in my last post. I was just messing around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this isn't my legal name (yet), but in a manner of speaking is more important to me than the legal name is - which is why I use it here, along with the face that there aren't all that many folks around with a name like this!

LightChucker

Enlightened
What do you all think of me using this handle?

"LightChucker"

It has the word "light" and my name as well. The idea is that I am throwing Light (Chucker).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Chuck