Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of Keeppower 16650s, and neither fit in my G2X Pro.

I have 4 of Keeppower 16650s, and what I know they fit in every light which can take 2xCR123. I have tried with Fenix TK10, Surefire G2, C2, E2L and E2DL, and it works(the cells are not very tightly inside the body). I am impressed by the amount of energy these cells contain(2500mAh in the very same format as AW 17670 1600mAh) It really sounds like it's a difference in size between your and my samples?

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 of Keeppower 16650s, and what I know they fit in every light which can take 2xCR123. I have tried with Fenix TK10, Surefire G2, C2, E2L and E2DL, and it works(the cells are not very tightly inside the body). I am impressed by the amount of energy these cells contain(2500mAh in the very same format as AW 17670 1600mAh) It really sounds like it's a difference in size between your and my samples?

I am absolutely delighted with my G2X Pro and I am completely satisfied with my 2 Keeppower 16650s. The cells do fit into my incan G2 and 6P Original, but neither one fits into the G2X Pro; I have seen posts on CPF from people reporting that their G2X takes 16650s, and I have seen posts on CPF from people reporting that their G2X does not take 16650s.

Perhaps both the lights' bodies and the cells have minor variations in diameters and it is only when a slightly large battery gets paired with a slightly small body that it doesn't fit; or perhaps it's purely variation in the bodies, which is my personal suspicion since my cells fit perfectly in the incan lights, which were designed specifically for CR123As.

TL;DR Yes, I believe there is a definite difference in size between all of our samples.

ven

Flashaholic
I have a 6p on the way from NY and a couple of 16650's to get me going. Looking forward to my 1st surefire and to what I might do to it. Not sure yet drop in wise......

Next SF will be a c2 which is on my wanted list but can wait for now :)

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of Keeppower 16650s, and neither fit in my G2X Pro.
I just got a KP 18650 for my MMX-360 and it was a bit of a squeeze until I discovered the label was overlapping the "wiring" for the protection circuit on one side of the cell. I slit the label (not the shrink wrap) and peeled off the part that was overlapping and now it's perfect.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a 6p on the way from NY and a couple of 16650's to get me going. Looking forward to my 1st surefire and to what I might do to it. Not sure yet drop in wise......

Congrats.
So much potential for another masterpiece in your collection.

:popcorn:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks mr fixer, in fact i hold you 50% at fault..............the other 50% with kj2 :laughing:

Will throw a few pics up once in my hands(probably a couple of weeks) as it is and maybe a cryos head,not decided yet,either Sean's triple nichia or a quad!

Should get 2 really, one for babying/home use and one for work uses(beater!)

kj2

Flashaholic
Received a Malkoff LMH drop in for my 6P, this week. Took awhile.. Damn those customs guys :p
Really like that low mode. Specially with the KP 16650, I think I've a new indoor usage light :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Oh yes kev, but i am sure i will thank you for it:) not got to malkoff yet! all in time...........

That Malkoff will come ;) email them for the best shipping price. I paid less for shipping and the standard rate.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Here in 2016 folks are still thrilled to receive their first SureFire light that changed it all... way back in oh, 1988.

Now the Malkoff drop in won't be daylight in darkness a half mile away. But the beam is nearly indescribable. You just gotta see it to know.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Here in 2016 folks are still thrilled to receive their first SureFire light that changed it all... way back in oh, 1988.

Now the Malkoff drop in won't be daylight in darkness a half mile away. But the beam is nearly indescribable. You just gotta see it to know.

ven

Flashaholic
kev yep, i probably will go for a malkoff drop in............any recommendations, 2 mode works for me(no single mode). Tint wise 4000k-5000k is good for work, warm side to neutral=all good.

Mike your collection of all these kind of retro lights has got me on one, i might even use the 6p as is at 1st tbh. Look forward to seeing the beam/tint out of the box, heck it may be fine as is! . Now do i get another 6p????? one just dont cut the mustard! saying that it appears 5 or 6 does not for you:whistle:

kj2

Flashaholic
kev yep, i probably will go for a malkoff drop in............any recommendations, 2 mode works for me(no single mode). Tint wise 4000k-5000k is good for work, warm side to neutral=all good.
Checkout the M361N-LMH. I've the M361-LMH, and am very pleased with it :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Mike your collection of all these kind of retro lights has got me on one, i might even use the 6p as is at 1st tbh. Look forward to seeing the beam/tint out of the box, heck it may be fine as is! . Now do i get another 6p????? one just dont cut the mustard! saying that it appears 5 or 6 does not for you:whistle:

If you end up liking it as is you'll love the Malkoff WLL.10 hour regulated run time on primaries...with several hours of useable light after.
A couple of RCR's is a mighty practical combo with a WLL.

I bought several when they were $28 shipped.

ven

Flashaholic
$28 shipped.........................wow,let me know if you find any more, i will defo have at least 1 more, will have a nice back up to my work one:)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am absolutely delighted with my G2X Pro and I am completely satisfied with my 2 Keeppower 16650s. The cells do fit into my incan G2 and 6P Original, but neither one fits into the G2X Pro; I have seen posts on CPF from people reporting that their G2X takes 16650s, and I have seen posts on CPF from people reporting that their G2X does not take 16650s.

Perhaps both the lights' bodies and the cells have minor variations in diameters and it is only when a slightly large battery gets paired with a slightly small body that it doesn't fit; or perhaps it's purely variation in the bodies, which is my personal suspicion since my cells fit perfectly in the incan lights, which were designed specifically for CR123As.

TL;DR Yes, I believe there is a definite difference in size between all of our samples.

I understand according to as well personal experience and others report that some Keeppower cells are larger sized than other brands. A few years ago I ordered a bunch of Keeppower 18500 1700mAh cells. Unfortunately these don't fit in any of my lights. Too bad because they were intended for Malkoff MD3 body. But I keep them waiting for some future flashlight.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
Now do i get another 6p?????
Absolutely! I've always liked the 6P style lights and thought my collection of Solarforce hosts would stave off the urge to pick up any real 6P's. Didn't happen. In the past few months I've kinda gone crazy...3 - 6P's, 2 - C2's (one black and one natural), and 2 - G2's. I really don't know why I fought it so long. Besides, I had already stocked up on a bunch of lamps that I found for $3-4 apiece...must have been a sign!