Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gonna post some pix here for future reference.

Folks ask which M61, or stay P60 and all that.

So I pulled out my Malkoff'd G2 with a WLL, a 6P with a WL, another 6P with an NL and a 3rd with the ole P60 still in it.

For kix n giggles I also did a M31 vs M31L scenario with Malkoff'd 2aa Rayovac Indestructables.

Basically what occured was a photo from about 15' to a wall to show the hotspot and a wall at a right angle to show spill in one photo.
Then a path lighter type thing with the spot at it's farthest throw to kinda show what is what from you to the spot.

I'll say this....the farthest the spot tossed a useable light was about 200' in each case.
The difference imo was how well things lit between me and the shed some 200' away..(not the ones near the car btw, but in the distance)
IMG_20160121_201502_zpspb3i2jbr.jpg

^^ this one...

Each light provided enough light at that distance to ID a porta-john from a panther...a bobcat from a dog. The P60 is more a spotter at a distance where the WLL gives you nearly as much throw with a ton of useable spill.
In some cases the pix don't show one as bright as the other. The point was to show that the Malkoff WL, WLL, the NL and the P60 are all pretty dawg gone close in what you get.

First the M31's

IMG_20160121_184009_zpsoyodqorn.jpg

IMG_20160121_184308_zpsdsslb9de.jpg

^^ the L gets it done.

IMG_20160121_183743_zpsdb2e1w8e.jpg

IMG_20160121_183904_zpscwjeyto1.jpg

^^ the M31 does good.
Yet I'll go with an M31L for battery life.

Now the P60 type 6 volt modules. Note they can run off like 4-9 volts.
Starting with the WLL beam
IMG_20160121_184948_zpssm9ut6az.jpg

IMG_20160121_185059_zpsxcsrdnm6.jpg

^^ see the shed some 200' away with 75 measly lumens?
Yet no harshness on close up objects. Night adjusted eyes can see a lot more than most realize.
I'll take this any old day.

IMG_20160121_184457_zpsz3dnwfen.jpg

IMG_20160121_184606_zpsd93vsgvf.jpg

^^ the WL is a wee bit brighter.
Still very respectable battery life as well.

IMG_20160121_184717_zpspih5lvln.jpg

IMG_20160121_184820_zpsf4fxm5ec.jpg

^^ the NL is a favorite because it provides nice even lighting stem to stern.
5 regulated hours in a 6P with primaries...not bad at all.

IMG_20160121_185509_zpseasifrrz.jpg

IMG_20160121_185642_zpsnfzt3tbp.jpg

^^ look at that 65 lumen incan gettin' it done.
This..was why the 6P was so popular in it's hey-day.

Just to show it was actually dark out, some before pix.

IMG_20160121_185413_zpsv018p2c8.jpg

^^ the unlit wall

IMG_20160121_185302_zpsfnzph25t.jpg

^^ and all my neighbors free lux.

In terms of todays popular uprising of single cell lights or multi led throwers built by hobbiest, these babies don't hold the proverbial candle to the modern world aspect of flashlights.
But to the rest of the world, they're still some mighty fine flashlights.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi hey where do you buy those from ^^.

I'm looking for a 6P host for a vinh throw triple copper nichia hcri P60 high mode only.
Would the tailcap need to be changed or so to handle amp change?,
maybe 400+ lumens I don't know.

whats best for this kind of p60, 18650 or 123?.
i was looking at an over ready host 6p bored.

Thanks!.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
bykfixer ,

I just look at the 6P as the small block Chevy of the flashlight world. I've used that analogy before, but it still holds true.

I can't purchase a ready made drop in for any other flashlight brand like I can with Surefire.

If I were to drop and damage a 6P, I can purchase a replacement head, drop-in, bulb, or tail cap and be back running upon receipt of parts. Can't do that with Fenix, Nitecore, or Olight.

The 6P isn't perfect, but then again, for the bargain basement prices of the current crop of lights, you'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Just got finished loading up the SC-1's with extra CR123 batteries for the looming "White Death" storm. The TM15, 26, 36 are all charged up. The D4's have been working overtime topping off batteries for the Fenix TK's. The rest should be good to go.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like that small block chevy anology.
You prefer the 327 or the 350?

Yup, they're calling it snow-magedan where I live. But we're located at a much closer to sea level than you are.
I guess they'll see ya in the spring lol.

Pffft, my neighbor says it's just another snowbama storm. Nothing but hype and hinderance he says...

Streamlights charged, battery packs, laptops etc are good. Got lots of batteries and food. Jar candles and joy juice.
Bread was gone so the wife got burger buns and a bunch of Ravioli. New 20# bag of charcoal for grillin' in a snow storm.

My only concern is being too close to I-95. Winds are supposed to be brutal east of 95. I'm 150 yards west of it.
Uh oh!
Yet if worse comes to worse we have a generator and 4 vehicles with full gas tanks...about 100 gallons. lol

This time tomorrow night my thoughts will be beam shots in the snow.

Edit:
It's this time tomorrow night...and I got a new light.
But where I live there are lots of free lux keeping our surroundings nice n bright.

^^ 7Pm
Flashlight? For what?

^^ eh, why waste the battery?

^^ CRI checked out a-ok with the M31L

But tbh it wasn't any fun so a wall check later and I was bored.

^^ the FiveMega 16340 with Malkoff M31L

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck yea man...

I'll post what I get if we get hammered. I am in Mills River NC, right near the border of Henderson and Buncombe Counties.

Anywhere from 4-18 inches, but who knows.... Lol....

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck yea man...

I'll post what I get if we get hammered. I am in Mills River NC, right near the border of Henderson and Buncombe Counties.

Anywhere from 4-18 inches, but who knows.... Lol....

I'm on the west side of the mountain. Storms have to dump moisture to get over so we get a lot rain and snow. Charlottesville VA that's in the east side of the mountain usually doesn't as much as we do.

The Wundeground Weather app that I use on my iPhone is calling for 18-30 inches as reported by the National Weather Service out of Dulles VA.

The last time they called for that much snow, we got 3 feet. We'll see.

I couldn't get my M923 running today, so one more shot tomorrow morning. I need to break down and get a set of chains for it, but at $800, to use them every couple of years, isn't worth the money.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have an M923!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

We haven't had a great snow since 1993, we are due something but nothing like 30" wow!

Hang in there bro,

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, the 6P and its cheaper cousin the G2 came along when all that was out there was the everyday $5 plastic or sheet metal 2D lights, or the very expensive Surefire tactical lights that started at around $150-$200. All of a sudden here were these lights that had the Surefire build and guarantee, that were available for almost nothing, comparatively. And they were wonderful! Then the third party P60 creators started showing up: Malkoff, Lumens Factory, Oveready, with more incandescent options and these new-fangled LED thingys. We were in heaven.
I seriously doubt that the flashaholic world would be like it is today without the 6P and its cousins leading the way. We would have something, but I think it would have been nothing like what we have today.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Malkoff'd Maglights and Strions... perhaps Scorpions.... that's what we'd have.

6P or not, Gene was having trouble getting a flashlight to work worth diddley back when and built better.

Come to think of it, we may not have the Strion were it not for the 6P

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
lovecpf

I couldn't get my M923 running today, so one more shot tomorrow morning. I need to break down and get a set of chains for it, but at $800, to use them every couple of years, isn't worth the money.

That's awesome!

Maybe you could offer rides for a 'nominal fee' and the chains would pay for themselves? LOL, I wish!

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
6" and counting...

So thankful it's my week off and the wife scored a three day weekend!

I mean my little Tacoma 4x4 goes about anywhere I need to be if it was my work week.

20160122_082510_zpshsnnv2x7.jpg

20160122_082712_zpskjsrncdk.jpg

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just started snowing here. It's 23 degrees, and it's already started laying.

The county pre-treated the roads last night using a brine solution, so the main drag will take a bit longer to become snow covered.

The hawk that hangs out around the yard has picked off a dove and a little snow bird this morning. Got to find a way to move him somewhere else so he doesn't get such easy pickins.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol...

That's awesome.

We just have a Goundhog, named him Sheldon as he is always in the same "spot!"

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol...

I have also very graciously and thankfully re-acquired my bored 6P and bored A19 extension...

However it's in the mail... had it been here it would have 2 x 18500 cells and a P91 for the warmth. Ha!!!

We are at 12" and it's still snowing a little.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mr. Postman brought me a pocket warmer just as snow-magedan was arriving my way...

^^ the FiveMega bored body and genuine SureFire 6P goodies at both ends.
Thanks for the tip goes to member Grijon.

^^ should be good to go if dropped in the snow.

Add a Malkoff M31L and a Battery Station..we're there dude.
An M31W will go in it about this time next week if snow-magedan doesn't demolish a certain building in Enterprise Alabama...

Last edited: